Sign in to follow this  
Rtman

2836 hand alignment

Kcore

Rtman, Rolie, and Gentle, you guys ROCK :thumbsup: I really enjoyed this thread and learned a lot. Many times a thread gets started and doesn't finish, especially with the resolution or fix. This did, thanks guys!

Rtman

And thanks to everyone who helped me out!

I would have never attempted this without all your encouragement and information.

Rtman

So.... An update.

It turned out I was overly optimistic. The movement worked for a while, then started doing the same thing all over again, but I did eventually get to the bottom on what was going on.

It turns out that the date wheel had a bent tooth. It was catching once in a while when it turned and caused the date unlocking yoke to slide under the driving wheel. I think that may have damaged the driving wheel or the unlocking yoke retaining plate, making it so the movement wouldn't even work without the date wheel.

In any case, I ended up getting frustrated and ordering a whole new movement on e-bay... Only to discover that the new movement did the same thing when I swapped date wheels. Bummer.

Does anyone know where I can order a new date wheel with an overlay that will work with a Noob sub-C? Or do I need to swap over the overlay onto the new wheel?

GenTLe

Why don't you just fix the bent tooth? :)

Rtman

So - one more update... Hopefully the last.

I ended up damaging the DWO when I was messing around with the movement, I slipped with a screw driver and tore off some of the DWO,

I ordered a new DW on eBay and got a DWO from TC. It took a bit, but I managed to get the DWO aligned on the new DW and now things seem to be working as they should. One nice thing about the TC DWO is that it is the same outside diameter as the DW, so it is a bit easier to align than the factory one I was originally messing with.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Rtman

By the way, GenTLe, I did try unbending the tooth, but it kept catching once in a while.

Ilikewaches

Looks like you got it sorted out.

Edited by Ilikewaches

Dendo

Congrats on getting it fixed, but this has been one long fix. I guess it is all a learning experience - and this is a hobby.

Superb help from some good people on this forum.

My initial thought, and I have to fix similar symptoms on a watch, is to change the movement and take off the datewheel overlay and restick it to the DW that comes with the movement. I have done this before and it was not as difficult to realign, easier than dismantling everything IMHO

Anyway - well done Rtman and this forum.

GenTLe

Good job mate! I'd have (now) probably simply replaced the wheel with bent tooth. Experience experience...