Sign in to follow this  
afrowillson

The time i thought i was going to get mugged in thailand buying a rep!

afrowillson

hey fellas i thought i would share the craziest story of buying reps in Thailand.

I've been visiting Thailand, to one particular gentleman in particular, to buy reps for over ten years now, the majority of the time he has got me exactly what i wanted or ive found them from other dealers. one particular night in Pattaya i was bar hopping with my father, at about midnight i decided to grab a quick bite to eat then back to the hotel, leaving him at the bar playing jenga with a bar girl.

I got a pad thai from a small restaurant then started walking down one of the slip roads to the main street. As i got to the end of the road, i saw an old woman sitting on a chair holding a few watch catalogs. i stopped and had a quick look through while she asked me the usual 'where are you from' and 'how long are you staying in Thailand.' After a few minutes small talk she said the shop is a 3 minute taxi ride from where we were and asked if i would like to take a look. I declined saying its too late, mainly not wanting to get into a taxi with a stranger at quarter to 1 in the morning. she insisted and against my better judgement and too much booze, i agreed.

Three minutes later we where there, we hopped out and she paid the driver. now wheres where shit gets weird.

we started walking down a really dark alley way with garage doors on either side. we continued walking to the point of when i turned around to look at the road, it wasn't visible anymore. now im 6ft 8, so i look quite intimidating, but you hear about tourists getting stabbed and shot out here so i was starting to panic. i was getting ready for a group of men to jump out of the shadows and hold me for the roughly 50 quid in my pocket. i said to myself, if anything happens, give them your wallet then run.

the woman stopped suddenly and my heart jumped into my throat. she turned to one of the garages and banged really loudly on the door. It opened about 50cm off the ground and a woman's head appeared from underneath. 'come this way please' she said not lifting the door any further than a meter. i ducked underneath to a simple 2 car garage filled with boxes of tourist t shirt tat 'i heart pattaya' for example. we continued walking to the end where there was another door. when she opened it, i could not believe what i saw.

it was a very high end looking rep store. tiled floors, spotlights, air conditioning, proper jewelry counters. everything was ordered into brands. it looked very similar to the pic at the bottom of the post. there were two customer assistants wearing suits greeting me when i entered. the store was split into three, bags and purses on the left, watches in the middle and pens sunglasses and other accessories on the right. i thought i found rep heaven.

since i had limited funds on me, i purchased one watch, Uboat Flight deck, after a short haggle we agreed on the price and she boxed it up, placed it into a bag and then hands me a printed receipt saying 'if you ever have any issues please come back and we'll fix it for you'.

i walked out the same way i walked in, with the biggest smile on my face not believing what just happened.

i returned the next day in the morning with my dad.

i spent £1200 on watches :giggle:

just to give you an idea, this is what the place looked like. i didn't want to take photos while i was there, some shops get a bit funny about it

000000001store_zps0nohlm6q.jpg

Lagger

Worthless without pics coming soon

RUSH2112

Who won the game of jenga?

g.man

Cool story bro.

avrahamk1

Awesome story! but.... PICTURES! :)

Stewart

Did you find the prices to be less than what we see through TDs? Were they the same quality?

afrowillson

sorry guys this happened a few years back, no pics. i went back to the same spot on my next trip there but the whole complex had been knocked down. as for prices they were roughly the same as most TD's

Baldrick

I've lived in Pattaya for 15 years....know all the rep dealers past and present...from Sarah and Mr Wong at the smelly fish market to the 'secret' back-rooms on Walking Street...every dealer if he doesn't have the watch you want in stock will direct you to one of the other dealers (he gets a steering commission)....I've never seen any 'secret' shop the likes of what you describe....I have in Patpong...never in Pattaya....plus...the likelihood of having to leave the tourist trail and take a taxi journey seems highly unlikely.....what kind of taxi did you take..cos it's only in the past 2-3 years they've started to allow taxi-meters in Pattaya...you only had 2x choices before..motor-bike taxi or song-taew...are you sure you weren't in a drunken stupor in BKK?

Daywatch

Coloured story - now we need pics of the £1.200 worth of watches - and the U-boat

edigital

Great story.....staying tuned for more. :)

narikaa

I remember her

Once you gained her trust she actually took you on a winged chariot to a gilded palace where they gave away 10baht gold bars

Sadly all knocked down now

pigs.jpg

Lorenove06

+1, Reg.

narikaa

Plus there are not & never have been 'garages' in Pa-ta-yaa

funkmaster

pictures of the watches

narikaa

pictures of the watches

That would prove what exactly ? Its the t'internet !

See heres some of those free gold bars I got:

File0004.jpg

Venomous

Sounds like bullshit to be honest.

You state you only had £50 on you, yet the prices were the same as our TD's.

You say you had a bit to drink, yet you recall the garage opening 50cm exactly? Lol

Don't stack up. Pics are definitely going to be needed for this.

V

TioToto

I was brought to 1 in Bangkok before too. Was after office hours during my stay in Bangkok, and I decided to take a motorcycle taxi to avoid the traffic congestion. The rider asked if I was interested to visit a replica watch bouique, and since it was on the way, i agreed. Boutique was quite lavishly renovated and I was served refreshments while browsing. Felt like a gen boutique, but the quality of the reps were really ridiculously bad. Didnt buy anything in the end, but I did notice the rider got paid for just simply bringing me there.

Mazz

:popcorn:......................................the thai experts have spoken

Jenga with a bar girl is that code for hide the sausage??

Baldrick

Yep.....you'll find 'boutique dealers' in Patpong......but Pattaya................nuh uh...not now...not then....not ever......Narikaa and I between us have prolly in excess of 40 years experience in Thailand...not just Patts...all over.....if we venturesome explorers and prominent members of the Royal Geographical Society didn't find it......then there is no yeti.....or perhaps there is,,,,,,it's more credible than 'taxis...garages and boutiques' in Patts..... ;)

gB.

Great story, sounds legit.

:popcorn:

tonyh7

I used to work in Bangkok. One night I went to the British Club in Silom Road and got absolutely hammered in happy hour. When I came out I stepped in a pot hole and flattened an American tourist. I remember lying on the ground while he screamed abuse and kicked me in the ribs. Then I got up and got a cab back to my hotel. I can't remember buying any watches but I felt terrible the next day.

Baldrick

^^^ He funnee :D

narikaa

I remember a real catalogue wielder on beach road arguing with a portly yerraman (German) about his recently purchased rep. With nothing else better to do I people watched.

The slighted customer went into full Kaiser Wilhelm mode ranting and raving and eventually declared he was going for the police.

Street theatre couldn't promise a better second act so I gotz me a cool one and waited

Sure enough back he came still in turbo-rant complete with a grinning brown shirt (Thai cop)

A quick flurry of typewriter talk between the Thais, a calm down plea to Kaiser W, a bit more Thai then the cop pulled his baton and he and the watch seller whaled the shit out of the complainant.

;)

greg_r
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Kleen™

I recall this one very special occasion at a convention in Las vegas, when I was so close to getting a blowjob from Scarlett Johansson: I've had a few drinks that evening (happy-hour et all...) and was standing in the restroom of my hotel with me knickers down on me ankles, lusty as hell and with a boner that could scratch the sapphire crystal on a superrep....infact; the only thing missing was Scarlett Johansson....