Sign in to follow this  
Callumz

getting 7750 started

Callumz

Anyone got any tips on getting a 7750 movement started I don't want to hand wind for obvious reasons but I strapped one on and walked about for 10 minutes and it still hasn't started yet is there a certain way of shaking it to get them started gently?

Duzza

You'll have to hand wind it a couple of turns at least to get it going.

Callumz

ah ok no worries - guess ill just gently wind.

Always shit scared after all the horror stories I've heard about the movement :P

steve123

from what i understand the horror stories are a bit overblown.. depending on what you got going on with that 7750 it should be solid.

elp

Remember to wear gloves, and stand downwind just in case ... pesky 7750s

JSJ

Always shit scared after all the horror stories I've heard about the movement :P

What watch is it?

I have maybe 10 7750s I wear regularly and I have always hand wound them.

For example I will cycle between my Navitimer World and my Super Avenger. They are accurate so I keep them running by winding.

My 3777 I'm wearing now I've had well over a year and no trouble at all. I'm always fairly gentle with them as I wind and they are fine.

GenTLe

The risk of messing it up grows with the force it has to win to charge the spring, so you can give it 10 turns, but don't go to 40...

Irishcain

The risk of messing it up grows with the force it has to win to charge the spring, so you can give it 10 turns, but don't go to 40...

+1000^

Wind it just enough to get it started and let the auto do its job.

JSJ

I'm interested to know how many people personally had a 7750 hand winding issue.

I've just counted and I have 17 watches with 7750 rep movements. I hand wind them all. I never had a single issue with the teeth stripping on any of them.

I'm sure this is not a complete myth but I'm also sure it's not any sort of big issue. The movements must have improved over the years.

genoint

I just spin the rotor on all of my auto reps and gens including those that have 7750's. I have never hand wound any of them to get them started.

ag69

Sometimes I'll rock the watch in a circular motion to move the rotor. This works pretty good.

TioToto

I had 7750s and I always had to handwind. Shaking it just wont get them going, for me. But I've never heard of this handwind issue prior to this. No issue for me so far, just 1 of the doesnt reset to 12 anymore, buy i doubt that has got to do with handwinding.

Edited by TioToto

Genius

I got 3 7750 watches and they all start up pretty quickly once the rotor has started moving, maybe an issue with yours if it doesn't?

romannyc

to get an automatic movement running, you need to wind it 30 times, once its been wind the barrels kick in and they start storing power, you cant over-wind it because it has a clutch that kicks in once you start winding it to much.

shaking the watch does nothing but make it run. the barrels are asleep and wont store power. you must wind it no exceptions.

Edited by romannyc

GenTLe

to get an automatic movement running, you need to wind it 30 times, once its been wind the barrels kick in and they start storing power, you cant over-wind it because it has a clutch that kicks in once you start winding it to much.

Yeah, that's the perfect way to mess up the ratchet drive wheel on 7750 (both Swiss and Asian ones) which is made of butter...

The problem is not in the barrel spring itself. It's in the gears that transfer the motion to the barrel spring arbor.

Look what frequently happens when you insist to wind the 7750 (on the right):

IMG_0686.jpg

BadPickle

What a load of tosh, 7750's are the same as any Chinese movement as far as reliability goes, nobody had a 6497 or a 2824 fail?? Just some scaremongering from the likes of sSTEAL and the other scamming tinkerers who enjoy relieving you fools of your hard earned cash. Admittedly there's more to go wrong due to there being more going on in there, but what u gonna do?? Not wind it just in case it breaks??

Get a grip...... Tell you what to do, nip next door and ask sSTEAL what he thinks.... My guess is the reply will have something to do with a trip to Finland and a fist full of euros.

Just wind it, if it breaks it needed fixing anyway. Plus there's a new TD tink in town, he'll sort it.

romannyc

Yeah, that's the perfect way to mess up the ratchet drive wheel on 7750 (both Swiss and Asian ones) which is made of butter...

The problem is not in the barrel spring itself. It's in the gears that transfer the motion to the barrel spring arbor.

IMG_0686.jpg

ok boss, i guess you should re-write the valjoux 7750 manual, your not suppose to wind a watch that is working thats a given.... you wind it once it stops.

Edited by romannyc

Callumz

Ah so general consensus is it's best to hand wind Gently till second hand starts then strap on?

Callumz
What a load of tosh, 7750's are the same as any Chinese movement as far as reliability goes, nobody had a 6497 or a 2824 fail?? Just some scaremongering from the likes of sSTEAL and the other scamming tinkerers who enjoy relieving you fools of your hard earned cash. Admittedly there's more to go wrong due to there being more going on in there, but what u gonna do?? Not wind it just in case it breaks??

Get a grip...... Tell you what to do, nip next door and ask sSTEAL what he thinks.... My guess is the reply will have something to do with a trip to Finland and a fist full of euros.

Just wind it, if it breaks it needed fixing anyway. Plus there's a new TD tink in town, he'll sort it.

Have to say I agree with this things are bought to be used.. If I wanted something that "will last a lifetime" I'd buy the gen but I'm too much of a fucking tight arse for that!

black263

Ah so general consensus is it's best to hand wind Gently till second hand starts then strap on?

That's what I do with all of my watches. It takes a few winds to get it running. I then set the time and wear it. If you set it and rely on the auto-wind, it could be a few minutes before the auto-wind builds up enough to get it going. The watch will then be in error by that amount. Some watches start immediately on the first wind, some need up to a dozen.

Daywatch

I just spin the rotor on all of my auto reps and gens including those that have 7750's. I have never hand wound any of them to get them started.

+1

Never had a problem and all run fine. Gently shake and twist a bit. If it does not start, there is something wrong or it needs a service.

Temporarily the 10 winds will give it a help.

GenTLe

IMG_0686.jpg

ok boss, i guess you should re-write the valjoux 7750 manual, your not suppose to wind a watch that is working thats a given.... you wind it once it stops.

I speak by experience. But feel free to do what you prefer on your 775x movements.

Just beware that the gen Eta ratchet wheel will have to be placed in the lathe to fot the Asian clone.

Duzza

IMG_0686.jpg

What's the Valjoux manual got to do with this?

ag69

I have bought over 15 a7750 or a7753 watches the last couple of years and have only had 1 watch not work at all. I guess I need to knock on wood and pray I didn't just jinx myself!!

rawbaws

I've got a pam arktos 7750 that won't auto wind. I hand wind it gently. Not ideal but no problems.