Sign in to follow this  
Seven7r

Which Datejust is worth it?

Seven7r

I live in the Philippines, where there's a place called 'Greenhills' where you can buy replicas of many things such as watches, bags, shoes, belts and other luxury goods. I frequently buy from here as the prices are generally cheaper and you can bring the watch back to the store if there's a problem and they'll send it back to their manufacturer.

So today I went to check and I saw these two Rolex Datejusts. Both of them are the older 5-digit ref. numbers which I prefer because they're cheaper when they're gen and therefore are more believable at my age (I'm 16).

They both don't have sapphire crystals but I have a Submariner (16618) that has a sapphire crystal with a good date magnification. These DJs cost around $50, and have an automatic movement.

The Rolex Datejust 16234 (steel with a white gold bezel)

11186408_1123762534305097_2057955938_n.jpg?oh=752d93613714b387e5d9f949e980a4a1&oe=559B9D73&__gda__=1436238471_42fda540f057ff5082097ebcada0c111

I like this one because it seems to have the correct bezel. Because other DJs/DDs here have the bezel with the weird angle and the 'teeth' are too big. But this has a diamond dial and the diamonds just look fake.

The Rolex Datejust 16233 (SS/YG)

11666949_1123768034304547_1406243032_n.jpg?oh=d6cdd8c01bf01a7398e61afd48787f88&oe=559B5AC3&__gda__=1436186417_b970d6b8aa42c32972064379cd1832f8

This is ok but I feel the bezel is slightly wrong. And I prefer SS (but this is also ok because I really like how this could be my dad's Rolex and I just borrowed it. I have friends that do that)

Do you think I can buy a dial from a TD that could fit the 21j 16234? Or is the 16233 better after just replacing the crystal?

Thanks guys!

Martijn0007

Both look like poor reps to me. Weird date windows, poor magnification and a bad font. And the minute/second markers look way to fat to me on the first one.

If you want a cheapy, get one of those, but I would not recommend putting a lot of money into upgrading it.

If you want something good, get a higher quality Datejust from one of our TDs (and believe me, you won't regret saving up a bit to get one).

Seven7r

Both look like poor reps to me. Weird date windows, poor magnification and a bad font. And the minute/second markers look way to fat to me on the first one.

If you want a cheapy, get one of those, but I would not recommend putting a lot of money into upgrading it.

If you want something good, get a higher quality Datejust from one of our TDs (and believe me, you won't regret saving up a bit to get one).

The thing is, after shipping and WU costs, it would end up at around $150. I'd rather not spend that much on a replica watch. Because sometimes I could find watches that you could find from the TDs at a cheaper price. I saw an AP ROC with the microstepper movement and after haggling they told me I could have it for $120, when it's around $150 at aootime.

The only watch I'm willing to get from the TDs is the vintage Daytona. Because I've never seen any PNs in Greenhills.

But as I've said, do you think switching the glass from my 16618 would fit the two tone one?

Martijn0007

The thing is, after shipping and WU costs, it would end up at around $150. I'd rather not spend that much on a replica watch. Because sometimes I could find watches that you could find from the TDs at a cheaper price. I saw an AP ROC with the microstepper movement and after haggling they told me I could have it for $120, when it's around $150 at aootime.

The only watch I'm willing to get from the TDs is the vintage Daytona. Because I've never seen any PNs in Greenhills.

But as I've said, do you think switching the glass from my 16618 would fit the two tone one?

If you don't want to spend much, you can't expect perfection (or anything close to that).

The watches you posted are poor quality reps, and that's what you get for 50$.

There will probably be a sapphire crystal that will fit your Datejust. Take exact measurements and look on the internet.

There are some crystals on eBay, but please take measurements of your Datejust first, because the size of the crystal on yours is probably not the same as on the genuine piece.

http://stores.ebay.com/clarkwatchparts/Rolex-Sapphire-Crystals-/_i.html?_fsub=178901819

Robeng

Been to Greenhill many times. Surely you can get beter reps than those? Might have go go to $75 or $100 but I seem to remember that some of the reps there are not too bad.

As for being 16 with a diamond or gold datejust

Which tends to be an older man's rolex,it's your choice but maybe something a bit...sportier?

Good luck.

Seven7r

If you don't want to spend much, you can't expect perfection (or anything close to that).

There will probably be a sapphire crystal that will fit your Datejust. Take exact measurements and look on the internet.

There are some crystals on eBay, but please take measurements of your Datejust first, because the size of the crystal on yours is probably not the same as on the genuine piece.

http://stores.ebay.c..._fsub=178901819

I'm just looking for a Rolex that wouldn't be obviously fake when people take a look at it or when people see it on my wrist as I walk around. Because I've had like 4-5 past Rolex watches that were horribly fake when you see it. I had a Rolex Day Date 118238 that when I think about it, doesn't look real even if it was a Super Rep because I'm only 16 and my dad only wears a BLNR. But the main flaw about DJs and DDs at this price is the bezel.

But yeah, I get your point. I'm just waiting that this deal I'm doing pushes through so I can get a huge amount of money to spend on reps (maybe a gen) and obviously invest.

Cheers!

GenTLe

I'm just looking for a Rolex that wouldn't be obviously fake when people take a look at it or when people see it on my wrist as I walk around.

Well, so as minimum get one with a 28.8kBPH movement and not a 21.6kBPH one. Then look for 2.5x cyclop.

Anyway aren't you a bit young for a DJ watch? I mean... At your age I would go for something more sporty than that.

greg_r

Not a review - moved to general.

Both watches are pretty crappy, frankly.

Stewart

I am not judging here, but I was at a fourth of July party this weekend and everyone wearing a Rolex datejust like the ones pictured were over 60 and many were in there 80s. It would seem that at 16 a sport watch would look more appropriate, but it's your choice.

The rep with gold may not stay gold too long it you are wearing it everyday so I would go stainless steel. At 16 with your budget I would go with a Seiko diver, many of which would look much better than the pictured reps.

Good luck with your decision.

Martijn0007

I'm just looking for a Rolex that wouldn't be obviously fake when people take a look at it or when people see it on my wrist as I walk around. Because I've had like 4-5 past Rolex watches that were horribly fake when you see it. I had a Rolex Day Date 118238 that when I think about it, doesn't look real even if it was a Super Rep because I'm only 16 and my dad only wears a BLNR. But the main flaw about DJs and DDs at this price is the bezel.

But yeah, I get your point. I'm just waiting that this deal I'm doing pushes through so I can get a huge amount of money to spend on reps (maybe a gen) and obviously invest.

Cheers!

If you don't want an obvious fake, you should buy in the 200-300$ range. There are plenty of Rolexes in that price range that look pretty close to the genuine piece, and only people who are really into watches will be able to tell it's not genuine.

It's not just the bezel on your Datejusts, the watches just have a very cheap look to it. People who've ever seen a real Rolex will be able to tell it's a fake.

As said by others, maybe a more sporty model will suit you better. You mentioned Daytona and I think a vintage Daytona will do very well for you ;)

I'm a few years older than you're and the vintage Daytona is my favourite.

rXl9hva.jpg

NCRich

Yeah no one would think a newman daytona was fake. LOL. Well unless you had a mansion and many servants.

Martijn0007

Yeah no one would think a newman daytona was fake. LOL. Well unless you had a mansion and many servants.

Do you think many people know what a PN Daytona looks like? I bet even 90% of people on the the Rolex forums don't even know how to see if one is real or fake.

Seven7r

I am not judging here, but I was at a fourth of July party this weekend and everyone wearing a Rolex datejust like the ones pictured were over 60 and many were in there 80s. It would seem that at 16 a sport watch would look more appropriate, but it's your choice.

The rep with gold may not stay gold too long it you are wearing it everyday so I would go stainless steel. At 16 with your budget I would go with a Seiko diver, many of which would look much better than the pictured reps.

Good luck with your decision.

I actually have a 16200. So I'm looking for a more dressy type of watch to be used for special occasions.

Sadly, I don't really like Seiko and the only ones I liked were the ones on a leather strap.

The 16200

11666943_1123890234292327_327336207_n.jpg?oh=500f2a9dc480b3c8bd2c724e469aa141&oe=559B340C&__gda__=1436231260_2398d06acf06c66983f7ff94b9dbbcf6

It's not perfect, but it was a Swiss ETA and I'm happy with it.

Seven7r

Cheers!

If you don't want an obvious fake, you should buy in the 200-300$ range. There are plenty of Rolexes in that price range that look pretty close to the genuine piece, and only people who are really into watches will be able to tell it's not genuine.

It's not just the bezel on your Datejusts, the watches just have a very cheap look to it. People who've ever seen a real Rolex will be able to tell it's a fake.

As said by others, maybe a more sporty model will suit you better. You mentioned Daytona and I think a vintage Daytona will do very well for you ;)

I'm a few years older than you're and the vintage Daytona is my favourite.

rXl9hva.jpg

That's just beautiful. But I don't think I could carry wearing a PN Daytona. Maybe the regular 6263 or the 6265 would be a better watch for me. But it sucks that they're quite expensive and I don't have the money for it now and can't justify spending $250 on a replica. But hopefully after doing a business deal, I could spend the $250 and get the vintage Daytona.

Cheers!

Mattcas

i'll never understand the need to make people believe you have a gen or that the watch is suitable for your age. My watches are for me...noone else and I'm pretty sure not one person ive met cares whether its real for fake. Dunno if thats just me or?

Realism

Fucking school holidays

black263

If you clearly don't have the money to buy a Rolex, no-one you meet will assume it's real, no matter how much you spend. In fact, even it it was real, everyone would assume it's a fake. That's just the way it is with Rollies. If you really must have a Rolex, and want the best bang for your buck, buy something from Reg. (Narikaa)

NCRich

Do you think many people know what a PN Daytona looks like? I bet even 90% of people on the the Rolex forums don't even know how to see if one is real or fake.

Hey I have one. I have no illusions that anyone would believe I could afford it.

Daywatch

In my opinion You should get a Seiko SKX007, wear it and let it age - You´ll enjoy it in 20 or 30 years time as the first "real" watch.

For others try to get a similar Tudor Prince Oysterdate - that would be suited for 16 yrs.

IMG_0255_ol.jpg

GenTLe
i'll never understand the need to make people believe you have a gen or that the watch is suitable for your age. My watches are for me...noone else and I'm pretty sure not one person ive met cares whether its real for fake. Dunno if thats just me or?

He is 16yo. Normal for his age the willing to "appear"

RUSH2112

You're going to need to double your budget to achieve what you want.

Amac

Wish we had known safe places to shop for replicas in person here in the states. Even Chinatown has been ruined here by the authorities.

Stewart

Wish we had known safe places to shop for replicas in person here in the states. Even Chinatown has been ruined here by the authorities.

In the relatively small city I live in there was a woman who set up a store selling purses, costume jewelry, and other girly things. She decided to start buying rep LV, Coach, and other luxury brand handbags and selling them in the back of the store.

She did this for about 18 months with no problem until a postal carrier filed a concern with USPS that she was receiving an in-proportionate amount of packages from China.

Next thing she new the FBI showed up, seized all of her inventory, froze her accounts, put a lien on her house, and arrested her. She only did 6 months in jail but has to pay tens of thousands in restitution and serve several years probation. Not to mention she is now positioned to be sued by the companies she was selling counterfeit goods of.

In the US the laws are very strict, and considering the amount of inventory a 'dealer' would have to obtain to have a selection like Toro would be a huge investment to risk. Not to mention they would be geographically limited to the general area they worked in.

There probably is someone in a big city like NY that has an inventory of high end reps to sell but don't count on them advertising it.

Jetpants

In my opinion You should get a Seiko SKX007, wear it and let it age - You´ll enjoy it in 20 or 30 years time as the first "real" watch.

Couldn't agree more. Plus there's a lot of street cred to be had from wearing this icon of genuine quality in your neck of the woods. Those in the know will give you more respect with a 007/9 on your wrist than with any fake rolex pare.

Seven7r

Because I'd rather not be called out.