Sign in to follow this  
hkbob

reps reps everywhere

hkbob

After 5 years in Hong Kong, I am finally catching the local drift.

At first, I noticed a guy on the local city metro train (MTR) wearing a Panerai, with the rest of the outfit that is, shall we say, undeserving.

Then a girl with a man's Rolex black diver which stuck out like, well, an oversized man's watch on a tiny wrist, also on the MTR. Then another with the same watch with the pink-ish dial. Then another with a Cartier Blue Balloon. By now I think I have seen every popular rep by commuters countless times.

Recently, I noticed a fellow parent at my son's kindergarten with a popular blue AP Royal Oak Offshore; before that it was a fellow party guest with a Panerai Firenze; and before that it was the pediatrician with a black VC Overseas - all three had the proper outfit to go with them

Yesterday I saw a reception lady wearing a Cartier Santos, the same women who was wearing a Rolex Daytona the last time I saw her.

I can't help but notice that these are all available in very well-made reps.

Makes me glad I opted for the less popular models. I don't know what I'll do if/when I run into someone in the office with my same watch.

rawbaws

Might be all reps but then again Hong Kong are very obsessed with watches but yeah, when your taxi driver wears a sub..

Chrisby

The guy in the convenience shop near where I live has a gold rolex, I have no idea what model as I have no interest in them but one thing is for sure, it looks cheaper than a 5 dollar hooker.....

But then for what I know about rolexes... It could very well be genuine

greg_r

Makes me glad I opted for the less popular models. I don't know what I'll do if/when I run into someone in the office with my same watch.

Why should it make a difference? I wear watches that please me - who cares if someone else has the same model?

Chrisby

Why should it make a difference? I wear watches that please me - who cares if someone else has the same model?

+1 I completely agree with this too, here's my latest purchase....

pWfCDIT.jpg

UmpaHimself

Then a girl with a man's Rolex black diver

So... you do know that's called a submariner right? That's like wristwatch 101

Also this

Edited by UmpaHimself

GenTLe

Might be all reps but then again Hong Kong are very obsessed with watches but yeah, when your taxi driver wears a sub..

With 130€ for 55km (which he does at least 4 times a day), I believe a Taxi driver here in Italy can get all the Sub he wants...

greg_r

pWfCDIT.jpg

Ah- the fabled Hublot BigTurd. Enjoy! :rofl:

ShovelnTC

Two things,

A good salesman NEVER assumes that someone badly dressed has no money.

Rolex make over a MILLION watches every year so why would anyone assume that all Rolexes are fake!

Chrisby

pWfCDIT.jpg

Ah- the fabled Hublot BigTurd. Enjoy! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

It also comes with an authentic turd smelling strap

hkbob

Right, yes, submariner - lost my interest after seeing every schmo wear one - this one is by far the most popular locally.

When everybody is wearing the finest watch in the world, I might very well lose any interest in the world's finest watch. Where you are it may be very far away from that, but here in HK it's much, much closer to that than you can imagine.

I am not making any big point here. Where you live a rep might be assumed as a gen; where I live all popular gens are universally assumed to be reps. That's all.

I forgot to mention, there was also this miserably dressed & miserable looking lady on the MTR with a super sharp Frank Muller.....

Panolex

HKBOB i believe you are becoming a "Watch Pervert" it happens to us all. :-)

kamma

pWfCDIT.jpg

ROFL :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ag69

Exactly!! I would also like to add, I don't give a flying FUCK what others think of my watches. I like them, I wear them!!

Xpletiv

^That's a flying fuck....and a rolling donut.

k3rm87

Hong Kong has some of the most watch conscious people in the world. It wouldn't surprise me if they're all gen. Every time I go there I am in awe, and on the MRT it's easy to closely inspect. I've done this many times and 99% looked gen in my eyes.

Retina

apple watch ftw

hkbob

Hong Kong has some of the most watch conscious people in the world. It wouldn't surprise me if they're all gen. Every time I go there I am in awe, and on the MRT it's easy to closely inspect. I've done this many times and 99% looked gen in my eyes.

The optimist in me just wants to come out and scream: “Wow, reps sure have come a long way. Hallelujah !!"

Testomatic

A women i saw in MTR had rep breast

Hornet

pWfCDIT.jpg

How about this to complement it:

tumblr_kvzn1myNBP1qz9bwro1_500_zpskakc7u21.jpg

Chrisby

I have one of those around a third limb.... It's on a very small strap

MadeInTaiwan

Chick working at the local grocery store where's a gold big bang king. I find it amusing.

Dr. Jimmy

A good salesman NEVER assumes that someone badly dressed has no money.

This is especially true if you happen to be in Los Angeles.

Gazzla

tumblr_kvzn1myNBP1qz9bwro1_500_zpskakc7u21.jpg

:lmao: :lmao:

Hornet
I have one of those around a third limb.... It's on a very small strap

....that must be interesting when you want to know what time it is?