Sign in to follow this  
Dommysam

TD offering choice of 3 movements, which would you buy?

Dommysam

Hi all,

Found a nice looking Datejust from one of our TD's (Andrew) and it comes with a choice of 3 movements as follows:

1) Swiss ETA 2836-2 (28,800bph) 25J (+ $120)

2) Asia ETA 2836-2 (28,800bph) 25J (+ $70)

3) Asia 2813 Automatic, 21J (+ $0)

Knowing that some people have ordered Swiss movements and found they contain Asian clones I'm dubious. At the same time having done numerous faultless transactions with Andrew I'm wondering whether to go for it.

I'm looking for reliability and a nice sweeping second hand, the movement isn't on show so I'm not worried about what's inside unless what's inside stops working. Anyone have any thoughts on the reliability of these three options?

Thanks!

Kcore

Number 2, Asian ETA 2836-2 :thumbsup:

I never go 21j unless I'm buying a cheapy.

Gazzla

A ETA

repvar

21J is crap, I had one and you can hear that thing even when your hand is on top of a desk

King

Doesn't it depend on the watch? If you're buying a sub ~$150 rep, why add 50% to its cost on a movement that (a) no one is going to see, (b) represents only a minimal visible upgrade (slightly smoother sweep on the second hand) and © isn't necessarily that more reliable (I've had about equal failure rates with Asian ETAs as with 21Js, except that a 21J is much cheaper to replace ...)? If you get called out on such a watch, it ain't gonna be because of the second hand sweep ...

That said, on a nicer rep (e.g., a Noob DJ/DDII), it might be worth the extra $70 to spring for the smoother movement (although the $70 difference seems a bit steep to me ...)

Paulw100

Link for the date just? I'm lookin to purchase one and Wouldn't mind looking at your choice

RichardMiami

21J is crap, I had one and you can hear that thing even when your hand is on top of a desk

Ummmmmmmmmm............. NO

There are approximately 187,343 21J movements in watches bought by members here in the past week. At last count 99.452% of them were running great. (stay with me here, I am making a point). It is one of the most common movements used in reps. Many of us have 21Js of one sort or another (there are many variations) running in reps for years.

nofitstate

Number 2 for me every time for me..... well nearly.

I bought the wife a day date with a 21j a couple years ago and it's still going strong, and no one has ever mentioned that the sweep isn't smooth enough.

GoW13

Number 1. Swiss sounds way better and more reliable than Asian

fatarms

Most swiss movements sold by TD's are either 1. misrepresented as true swiss, 2. old swiss movements taken from watches made long ago, or 3. a hybrid of old swiss movements that have been repaired using asian clone parts.

I'd go with option 2.

BadPickle
Number 1. Swiss sjounds way better and more reliable than Asian

:lmao2:

I think such a bold statement needs a little back up, so come on, amaze us with your vast knowledge.

black263

And that's why the factory claim there is a Swiss movement, and charge more. It's basically as trustworthy as 1:1, AAA+++ and all the other marketing bullshit.

repvar

There are approximately 187,343 21J movements in watches bought by members here in the past week. At last count 99.452% of them were running great. (stay with me here, I am making a point). It is one of the most common movements used in reps. Many of us have 21Js of one sort or another (there are many variations) running in reps for years.

oh they are bulletproof...just very loud especially if the watch has open caseback

Mike on a bike

First a good 21j (as in they did a good job putting together) is a work horse now some are noisy but so are some A 2836's. The sweep.......... well lower beat rate so it is what it is. Another upside get a new one cheap throw it in (20-30 usds). Swiss HA! , old Swiss movements in some cases with parts from lord knows where in there. The A2836 is the way to go if you want to spend a bit more, but as stated above by KING depends on the watch.

RichardMiami

oh they are bulletproof...just very loud especially if the watch has open caseback

nope.

You can get a loud one, or not. You can get a gen loud ETA 7750, or not. Etc.....

Loud is commonly a factor of lubrication (or lack thereof). Some places do better jobs of lube than others. It's a crap shoot. But to say 21s are loud is far too sweeping a statement.

Dommysam

Link for the date just? I'm lookin to purchase one and Wouldn't mind looking at your choice

Thinking of this one, what do you guys think?

http://www.ttw8488.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_294&products_id=4475

I know the fluted oyster bezel didn't appear with the stick hour markers but I don't want the diamond dial it's too blingy.

Am I barking up the wrong tree, do you think there is a better alternative?

Edited by Dommysam

MikeAlmighty

Asian 2836

Kcore

Loud is commonly a factor of lubrication (or lack thereof). Some places do better jobs of lube than others.

This is very true. I know when the wife and I are going at it the noise level is drastically different when there a factor of lube or no,lube! :rofl:

dfq23

If it is a GMT watch then always go 21j

Del Boy

DateJust - Option 2.

GoW13

Most swiss movements sold by TD's are either 1. misrepresented as true swiss, 2. old swiss movements taken from watches made long ago, or 3. a hybrid of old swiss movements that have been repaired using asian clone parts.

I'd go with option 2.

Number 1. Swiss sjounds way better and more reliable than Asian

:lmao2:

I think such a bold statement needs a little back up, so come on, amaze us with your vast knowledge.

And that's why the factory claim there is a Swiss movement, and charge more. It's basically as trustworthy as 1:1, AAA+++ and all the other marketing bullshit.

Umm, I guess I forgot to put a smiley^^ Sarcasm isn't my strength in real life nor here... :/

steve123

Loud is commonly a factor of lubrication (or lack thereof). Some places do better jobs of lube than others.

This is very true. I know when the wife and I are going at it the noise level is drastically different when there a factor of lube or no,lube! :rofl:

like stirring a pot of kraft dinner...

chec1977

Here is why I did. Got the A2836 and once I got it sourced a sellita sw200 from eBay for 130 brand new. I swap it my self but if you are not comfortable doing it you self send it to a modder and he will do the job for 60 bucks or so. Here is the watch674eb61ff3ed985e46dac95e70296167.jpg