Sign in to follow this  
Replicaaustralia

Options to buying my first luxury gen

Replicaaustralia

Hi guys I been visiting some boutiques and AD across Sydney. One thing I'be come to realise here is that if you don't look like a fresh mofo no one will take you seriously.

Anyhow, although the budget is low I been looking to spend 5-7G AUD (or less) so far my ideal heart as been stolen by the Tudor BB (well actually the rep stole my heart) however although the BB has stolen my heart I'm really looking for a larger range to choose from so drop some options below! (Btw how much are pams lol - just standing outside the boutique is definetly intimidating)

Damien

RichardMiami

Damien

I think you will find that the Panerai's are more expensive than the Tudor BB generally speaking.

Those watches have nothing in common, so perhaps you should do a lot more shopping before you commit. (Just MHO).

Also, you just triple posted... I cleaned it up. Please be careful hitting the "Post" button! :D

Replicaaustralia

Haha !

Thanks Richard my bad ):

Yeah I understand but I'm probably willing to fork out the extra considering that these gens are supposedly able to out live me even though I got a good 70 years to go?! Baha

ShovelnTC

Mate I have been to the Brisbane AD four times in the last year and with the AUD lately the BB on bracelet has gone from around 3 grand to over 4 and the Sub-c from 9 to 11 so I've dropped out of the race.

My fault I know but I had the exact watch on and now it's a grand more or 2 for the Sub so just can't pay the extra.

That's the problem with procrastinating :(

In that range my considerations were the BB in Blue or Red, The Ranger or the Tag 500m but that has also risen a grand in the last 12 months.

And yeah the Pams start at a grand or two more so likely out of the budget.

Good luck mate, I know it was a lot harder not only deciding on models but more importantly justifying the spend when it came time to reach for the wallet.

plankton

IMO take your time. Play with all the different reps if the money may be an issue. This should never be an investment but just a nice watch,if you get my drift.

Replicaaustralia
Mate I have been to the Brisbane AD four times in the last year and with the AUD lately the BB on bracelet has gone from around 3 grand to over 4 and the Sub-c from 9 to 11 so I've dropped out of the race.

My fault I know but I had the exact watch on and now it's a grand more or 2 for the Sub so just can't pay the extra.

That's the problem with procrastinating :(

In that range my considerations were the BB in Blue or Red, The Ranger or the Tag 500m but that has also risen a grand in the last 12 months.

And yeah the Pams start at a grand or two more so likely out of the budget.

Good luck mate, I know it was a lot harder not only deciding on models but more importantly justifying the spend when it came time to reach for the wallet.

Man you only make me want to get it now before it costs 6 Grand )):

TheSav

Which AD's are you going to? Gregory's is one of my favourite. Good range that varies store to store and always willing to negotiate.

tonyh7

You should look at what's available second hand or at auction. Even if you don't go that way it will give you a good idea of which brands hold their value. I love the BB and have a rep. I don't think the gen is a great investment tho. Pam costs min twice as much but IMO more likely to hold its value.

narikaa

Remember

Comsumer goods are almost NEVER an investment

(Its a word often injected into the conversation - read sales pitch - by sales folk)

Markrfc

Buy second hand prices in Europe are low now due to the economy of the PIGS.

JazzV3

Not sure about shipping to Australia, but I've found some nice Gen deals at Joma Shop online.

You forgo the manufacturer warranty, but they provide a 2 year warranty. Have not had an issue yet with 5 Gen purchases.

They have a physical store in NYC.

James.

If thats your range I'd suggest waiting a few more months for the Basel 2015 releases to git shelves in november for two specific reasons. Firstly the okder models th Basel ones are replacing will be further reduced (generally speaking though not all the time, really depends on the brand and model is being updated) and secondly you may find a few of those new releases more to your liking; such as the Tudor blue Pelagos, North Flag (I can and will personally recommed especially if you like the BB you'll like the NF imo) and the new TAG Heuer01.

I woukd suggest for a lot of other gens such as Panerai, IWC, JLC etc wait until your next international trip to save on tax and pray the AUD doesnt eat more shit.

GoW13

Second hand would also be one of my recommendations. Another is to buy from a non-AD. If you look at chrono24 or similar sites, you can get a new watch for a lot cheaper than the AD prices!

Daywatch

The red Blackbay has such a timeless design and unproblematic, cheap/easy to service movement I could well figure it´s one of the watches You could actually wear for 70 Years. At the same price-tag I see no alternative with a similar appeal as, depending on the take, "it´s all the Rolex You´ll ever need". Check the local prices for new/unworn with full warranty on Chrono24 and if You already own the rep, just visit an Ad and try out the gen thoroughly. Than get is from the "grey market" if there is something similar down under.

If I was to choose I´d decide between that one, a 2nd hand 16570 Explorer II (1/3 more expensive) or possibly a vintage Tudor Oysterprince (the Datejust-type) for 1/2 price.

Replicaaustralia

Which AD's are you going to? Gregory's is one of my favourite. Good range that varies store to store and always willing to negotiate.

I've been going to gregory. Blacktown, Castle Hill and Parramatta won't reduce the fixed 5050 on the Black Bay D,:

However I'm going to go in a months time with my mate and just put 8g on the table and see if they take 2 for 8g

GenTLe

My humble opinion is to go for something which is not well repped. BB and Pam are between the best repped watches and there is thè risk to spend those money and then feel dumb because the difference with the rep are not worthing the price difference.

If I was trying to wear your clothes I would go for a moonwatch or a Zenith chrono.

ShadyManc

I rarely purchase gens from an AD, you pay a huge premium by doing so. Take a look at Jomashop & Authentic Watches, both US based so shipping may be an issue to Oz. I would also check out Chrono24. They grey market is the place to get your first rep, the ADs and boutiques have to buy x amount, x amount they know they can't shift through their stores. They sell these at cost + small margin to intermediaries and bingo, you have a booming grey market.

Things to consider:-

1. Warranty, is it an official manufacturer WW one, a 3rd party, or covered by any warranty

2. If buying from overseas can they place a nominal value on the invoice (without impacting insurance) so you avoid high import duty

3. Is the grey dealer a respected, reputable dealer (Google for reviews)

4. Like the rep game, buy the dealer, not the watch. All good dealers will have, or can get, what you want

Good luck, you'll save at least a thousand AUD with this approach, that may bring that watch you want into reach.

ShadyManc

Correction, grey market is a great place to get your first GEN

Realism

pray the AUD doesnt eat more shit.

need a lot of prayer for this lol

Replicaaustralia

pray the AUD doesnt eat more shit.

need a lot of prayer for this lol

Praying...

Gazzla

There's a gen Invicta on M2M that would suit . . .

repvar

if you are going gen and this is your first watch, you gotta buy a Rolex.

Otherwise, stick to buying something used, there are a TON of deals out there. And pretty much any watch outside of Rolex can be had for 1/3 of what they originally sold for.

z k

I have the gen Tudor BB Blue. It's a great watch and if you like it, go for it. Looks good for any occasion and the movement is proven and reliable.

Edited by z k