Sign in to follow this  
Wiz

IWC 3717 Flieger Chronograph (Rep vs Gen)

Wiz

logo.jpg

Last month I've asked Domi build me an IWC 3717 out of gen parts, so I took the time to make a little comparision pictorial with the Vac's IWC 3717 I got from JC7 a few weeks earlier.

On the right corner, the one assembled by Domi: all gen parts except for the hands, because I couldn't find gen hands.

On the left corner, the Asian rep, relumed by Vac, with Chieftang's AR.

P1020805.jpg

P1020806.jpg

First thing you'll probably notice is the AR. It is kind of a surprise, but the one from Chief is waaaaaaay better than the gen.

P1020807.jpg

When looking at the case from the side, we notice it is pretty damn close. The brushed effect is spot on, so is the polished edge of the lugs.

Only the fixed bezel looks a little different: on the rep, the beveled part is thiner and the polished part is larger.

P1020808.jpg

Caseback is thicker on the rep.

P1020809.jpg

The major visual difference is the crown. Modding it would be rather difficult, so I'll ask Domi to install a gen one

P1020810.jpg

Pushers' shape and placing is perfect.

P1020813.png

Sorry for the blurry pic of the rep crown. Even if ou can't see it, from the side the crown looks very close :D

P1020812.png

Except for the already discussed issues, here again we can see that the replication is very close to perfection.

The only flaw here is that after measuring the spacing between the lugs it appears that the gasp is 0.17mm larger on the rep. No big deal :rofl:

P1020814.jpg

We're now looking at the back of the watch. To me the caseback is the second major visual difference.

P1020815.jpg

As you can see the finish in the center is different. The rep has a simple circular brushing, while the rep has a more complex spyral brushing made out of smaller circular brushings.

P1020816.png

That aside, writings and engravings are pretty damn close.

P1020819.png

Few more pics.

P1020820.jpg

P1020821.jpg

Lume shots.

P1020824.jpg

Even though the dial is gen, I wasn't quite happy with the lume. Color was very nice, but brightness was weak, so I asked Domi to relume it.

Good point is that the lume is now better, bad point is that I couldn't make a comparison shot with gen lume.

P1020826.jpg

Finally, here some pics of the inside of the watch.

P1020835.jpg

P1020837.jpg

P1020836.jpg

P1020838.jpg

spboudart

Beautiful review!

Love the pics.

dingle

great review Wiz. Price for each?

trksh-bzr

great pics, mate!!

I just got two of these for a couple of buddies, glad to see that they are so damn nice B)

Wiz
great review Wiz. Price for each?

I think Vac is selling his 3717 for $650. Total investment for the gen was somewhere between 1500 and 2000 euros.

Del

Nice review B).

Although there are small differences between the gen and rep, you'd probably be hard pushed to tell which was which ;).

Great looking watch too;).

wombosi

Very nice comparison. Keep up the good work and enjoy your watch

mrboombasteke

solid review...thanks mate.

KeNnY

Why I have stumbled upon this review ? now I want this watch :D super Wiz, thanks ! :D

Pentax

Great Topic and Comparison Well done !

graman

I love this watch......on my top 10 list.....:D

pfcdre

Very well done Wiz, great review mate, superb rep, i want one now damn it! :D

Pannalstaroz
Very well done Wiz, great review mate, superb rep, i want one now damn it! :P

Does anyone know if there are any really good reps of the black faced IWC Portuguese 5001? I've looked everywhere and have seen ordinary one's, but I'd like to get my hands on as good a one as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

kolchak

Awesome review.

Note to self - stop reading these reviews! Life was just fine before knowing this IWC was so sweet.

BTW - How does out of the box / pre mod rep stack up?

David543

I can only echo what others have said here:

1. Superb review, very informative and detailed.

2. The rep is bloody amazing

3. Your Gen is fantastic as its entirely gen, making it solid value.

4. Just what I needed, another watch to add to my list........ Why oh Why do I read these threads.......

One Question Wiz

What is the 'feel' of the rep like. I know from my watches that there is an 'indefinable' sense of 'genuineness' about the genuine watches that few reps can match. It can't be seen and its hard to explain, a 'je ne sais quois' few reps can match. How does the rep compare for this 'feel'?

Wiz
I can only echo what others have said here:

1. Superb review, very informative and detailed.

2. The rep is bloody amazing

3. Your Gen is fantastic as its entirely gen, making it solid value.

4. Just what I needed, another watch to add to my list........ Why oh Why do I read these threads.......

One Question Wiz

What is the 'feel' of the rep like. I know from my watches that there is an 'indefinable' sense of 'genuineness' about the genuine watches that few reps can match. It can't be seen and its hard to explain, a 'je ne sais quois' few reps can match. How does the rep compare for this 'feel'?

The gen was a gift to my brother, so I didn't had the chance to wear it more than just a few minutes, but I couldn't see any real difference in term of look and feel. I've noticed that little "je ne sais quoi" you're talking about on othre watches, but not on this one.

The only real difference is that the steel of the rep is "softer" than the gen, and therefore is easier to mark.

KeNnY
The only real difference is that the steel of the rep is "softer" than the gen, and therefore is easier to mark.

by that you mean lower, softer quality of steel ? Not that hard ? :groucho:

Wiz
Awesome review.

Note to self - stop reading these reviews! Life was just fine before knowing this IWC was so sweet.

BTW - How does out of the box / pre mod rep stack up?

I had one on the bech for a few days but didn't thought about taking pics.

The major differences are the lume, which is very weak on the pre mod version, and the AR, which is of course worst than Chief's, but actually closer to gen and has the same purple tint.

Wiz

by that you mean lower, softer quality of steel ? Not that hard ? :groucho:

Yes, sorry, I didn't knew how to put that sentence together :D

solkryssare

Great review and thank you so bloody much for adding another thing I cant afford to my wish list :groucho:

texski

Wiz,

Thanks so much. I was trying to decide gen or rep case. You answered my question. Thanks again. :lol:

fongpi

Is it possible to order a rep with a gen case?

Bryce

I dont understand the "build a watch from Gen parts" bit. Is it entirely Gen or am I missing something?

Anhel

Awesome review Wiz....!

Cheers

spooky driver

I dont understand the "build a watch from Gen parts" bit. Is it entirely Gen or am I missing something?

yeah iwc didnt make it