Sign in to follow this  
mysterio

Dietrich OT-1 Review

mysterio

I got this for a friend who was influenced by my frequent glances at the laptop screen while bored in our meetings. :lol: In return, he allowed me to borrow the watch for a while to use for a review. :) While waiting for it to arrive from Ken (not a TD here but his reputation precedes him) but you can get it from TDs here such as Fat Panda for example. Also while this is a review of the OT-1, I believe most of the review would apply to the other models as well except for the difference in materials.

DEITRICH OT-1 Review

tpyNABg.png

First off, when you buy the watch, it does not come by itself. It comes with the whole shebang of box, warranty card, nice suede watch sleeve, manual, well, everything. :lol: I don't think you can buy it without these but since they're included anyway, I appreciate the quality of the stuff that the factory did ship with the watch.

dXkccRk.png

Case

So let's start with the watch head, here it is separated from the strap.

Suf320S.png

The appearance looks more 3D than the other watch using the same Miyota movement, the Sevenfriday. So it would appeal to those who like the SF (because it has the same movement) and those who dislike the SF (because it looks different enough from the design of the SF to appeal to them).

I don't know why the factory would trip on this feature. The correct logo is two small d's (standing for Dietrich) intersecting. The logo on the rep is two d's touching. Looks more like a 69 than anything. Oh well.

zJeeIlu.png

On the other side, there is a plate stating the model. On this particular sample, the OT-1 text is off center, rather than centered on the gen. YMMV

ZTvlN4t.png

Caseback

Nicely executed but then it's at the back. Still nice of the factory not to mess this up.

lDKD65z.png

Crystal

The crystal has the markers on the surface of the crystal, adding to the 3D appearance.

1jwuM9J.png

Some more closeup shots of the dial. Love the detail that went into this.

hj6pf6k.png

MteEMCc.png

XFXvI0l.png

89kRDNF.png

82agOtC.png

6kF8u0f.png

OCowR8R.png

jCAY2ni.png

Strap

The strap is well executed, not rigid like carboard but much like a proper strap.

MjVdXq7.png

Back of the strap and the buckle have the requisite logos.

80IpqHT.png

The design of the strap matches with the dial well.

iRzqkjV.png

I got an extra textile strap but it was missing a keeper so little disappointed about it. Here is how long it is compared to the included leather strap.

z5azEMe.png

Lume

Well it is there on the hands and on the markers on the crystal, just wasn't able to capture it clearly.

Ww8nbHd.png

Wristie

And of course, it would not be a review without the token wristshot. ;)

lZrK3T1.png

5U6NeG5.png

RV7MsKv.png

au0Orc2.png

So overall verdict? It is a good rep, not as good a value as our standard reps where the cost of the gen is 20x the rep, not 4-5x like in the case of the Dietrich. Still if you like Sevenfriday reps and you would like to have something different (or something more of the same, depending on your point of view), then this is something that would be right your alley. I hope this review helps those who are on the fence (which is really the reason for the reviews, we take one for the team so you don't have to. :) ). Thank you for reading. :D

Edited by mysterio

nunu78

Nice review.

Panolex

Thanks for the excellent review it's much appreciated :-)

GenTLe

Well done! Thank you:)

Mr Stubbs

Great review and pics. Well done! You're correct that the crown engraving is a bit off. It seems it actually is 69 though. Your review got me interested (mission accomplished! :lol: ) so I looked around and found multiple references to the brand as Dietrich 1969. If you check it out on A Blog To Watch from January 19, 2014 they also show the bottom tab of the face imprinted with 1969 instead of OT-1.

Here's the gen crown:

Dietrich%201969_zpsyaneqvqx.jpg

If I end up with one of these abominations it will be all your fault. :giggle:

porschespeedster

the OT-3 in the ABlogToWatch vid has a crown that looks just like the rep:

Surely he's not reviewing a rep?

(Good shot of the crown @ 2:43)

Edited by porschespeedster

mysterio

the OT-3 in the ABlogToWatch vid has a crown that looks just like the rep:

Surely he's not reviewing a rep?

(Good shot of the crown @ 2:43)

And so it does apparently. The review unit is most likely gen as the review was done way before the rep was released.

NBYMmMq.png

I think we have been misled by the website images, who all show the interlocking small ds. They must have preferred 69. :lol: