Dorian84

Did they finally improve sausage dials on pam's?

Dorian84

Recently I read something, not sure if here or on RWI about H-fac and KW vastly improving their sausage lume application to newer pam models.

Just wanted to know if any of you know about this?

cheers

D.

Marshall

What was wrong with it to begin with?

Dorian84

Well, as I know the sausage dials on pam's were never perfected to the level of gen's.

Gen pam's have lower(recesed) lume application and some kind of hairline canal's around them.

or something like that:)

Edited by Dorian84

ALE7575

I will try to clarify this matter

Gen "sausage" lume structure is made with a cavity filled with the lume material which finally keeps flat and flush or mainly a bit recessed in relation with the dial surface. It really is not a sausage shaped lume but a flat shaped. The upper edges of the cavities are a little rounded.

Old rep sausage dials were made like a real SAUSAGE applied over the dial surface. In this way the rep sausage never were like a gen dial

Lastly makers have used a sausage lume structure made with a shallow cavity and the lume material is applied in the cavity as flat as possible but always with a bit of sausage shape. The edges of the cavities are usually sharper than gen edges. Due to the shape of the application, the lume material seems a bit recessed in the edges and gives an appearance similar to the gen lume. The effect of the current rep sausage dials is really similar to the gen, but it actually is completely different.

All above commented can be observed in below pics showing the differences of the lume application:

SAUSAGE%20LUME%20STRUCTURE%20%20GEN-rREP%20general-%20COMPARISON%20copiar.jpg---------------_zpsnwtd8nlw.jpg

KW is applying this kind of lume some years ago, H maker and even Noob are applying this "new" structure in their current dials. All that means an improvement in the appearance accuracy of sausage rep dials.

See below the pic of a Noob rep sausage current dial in comparison with a gen. You can see that despite of the completely different structure, the appearance is very similar and acceptable enough for a rep

PAM%20005-%2012%20GEN-NOOB%202015%20copiar_zps4ylxty08.jpg

I hope this is clear now

ALE

RichardMiami

Thank you Ale.. there is nothing more to say but.............................

word-up-g-high-rez-400x250.jpg

JazzV3

I would think that also explains why the lume on the gen is brighter - looks like 4x the material on the gen.

bk2hgEx6s.jpeg

Left Coast Guy

ALE....always impressing....

Dorian84

the Pam-master has spoken! nothing to add...thank you ALE much appreciated :notworthy:

ALE7575

Thanks friends for your kind words

But this is only a matter of hours of study and observations. Just that. Many people can do it !

Anyway, glad to be helpful

ALE

mysterio

Thanks friends for your kind words

But this is only a matter of hours of study and observations. Just that. Many people can do it !

Anyway, glad to be helpful

ALE

Many people would have the time, just not your dedication ALE. :)

aaamax

Gen "sausage" lume structure is made with a cavity filled with the lume material which finally keeps flat and flush or mainly a bit recessed in relation with the dial surface. It really is not a sausage shaped lume but a flat shaped. The upper edges of the cavities are a little rounded.

Old rep sausage dials were made like a real SAUSAGE applied over the dial surface. In this way the rep sausage never were like a gen dial

Lastly makers have used a sausage lume structure made with a shallow cavity and the lume material is applied in the cavity as flat as possible but always with a bit of sausage shape. The edges of the cavities are usually sharper than gen edges. Due to the shape of the application, the lume material seems a bit recessed in the edges and gives an appearance similar to the gen lume. The effect of the current rep sausage dials is really similar to the gen, but it actually is completely different.

All above commented can be observed in below pics showing the differences of the lume application:

SAUSAGE%20LUME%20STRUCTURE%20%20GEN-rREP%20general-%20COMPARISON%20copiar.jpg---------------_zpsnwtd8nlw.jpg

KW is applying this kind of lume some years ago, H maker and even Noob are applying this "new" structure in their current dials. All that means an improvement in the appearance accuracy of sausage rep dials.

See below the pic of a Noob rep sausage current dial in comparison with a gen. You can see that despite of the completely different structure, the appearance is very similar and acceptable enough for a rep

I hope this is clear now

ALE

Answer to a question I have had for a long time. Thank you VERY much!

ALE7575

I hope this is clear now

ALE

Answer to a question I have had for a long time. Thank you VERY much!

Glad to be helpful

ALE

Amrjon

Wow. Very informative.

On a similar note, something have tried searching for but not found yet is info in the the 'colour behaviour' of these dials.

I have a 111 rep and under some light conditions the markings are a tan/brown colour and at their times green. Unfortunately for me I don't have a gen compare it to but I'd love to know how this compares to gen?

Flave
On 8/23/2015 at 09:54, ALE7575 said:

I hope this is clear now

ALE

Sorry to resurrect a 2-year old thread, but I have been reading a lot about sausage dial lume application in both gens and reps and this is the best explanation I’ve read thus far. @ALE7575 does this mean that the latest 000 and 005 are back safely in super rep status on the PAM guide? I know there was some consideration about downgrading them due to the raised sausage shape on prior dials. 

Edited by Flave
Typo

Flave

Based on first-hand observation, the Rep sausage application does not come close to the Gen. Perhaps from several feet away there is no discernible difference, but if you handle the watch yourself, it is clear that the gen is indented while the rep is raised. The rep font also appears thicker (at least on my XF version). Granted, your average Newb will never know the difference, as the rep is still a beautiful watch. But anyone who has studied the brand will spot the difference immediately. I hate that this is the answer, but now that I’ve compared it with my own eyes, I can’t unsee it. No way I would ever consider a sausage dial rep a super rep (IMHO). 

mysterio
On 4/12/2018 at 07:56, Flave said:

Based on first-hand observation, the Rep sausage application does not come close to the Gen. Perhaps from several feet away there is no discernible difference, but if you handle the watch yourself, it is clear that the gen is indented while the rep is raised. The rep font also appears thicker (at least on my XF version). Granted, your average Newb will never know the difference, as the rep is still a beautiful watch. But anyone who has studied the brand will spot the difference immediately. I hate that this is the answer, but now that I’ve compared it with my own eyes, I can’t unsee it. No way I would ever consider a sausage dial rep a super rep (IMHO). 

The definition of super rep will and can vary from person to person so you are free to make your own judgement as to what makes a super rep for you.

Edited by mysterio

Flave
On 4/16/2018 at 09:04, mysterio said:

The definition of super rep will and can vary from person to person so you are free to make your own judgement as to what makes a super rep for you.

Completely agree. If you’re OCD, like me, the differences always jump out at you. But I think the rep is still a beauty and I can see why someone would consider it a super rep. 

mysterio
19 hours ago, Flave said:

Completely agree. If you’re OCD, like me, the differences always jump out at you. But I think the rep is still a beauty and I can see why someone would consider it a super rep. 

Well there are also varying degrees of OCD so I hope yours isn't so extreme that it may put you off reps. :)