Sign in to follow this  
Kwt

Harder to send money now via WU or MG?

Kwt

I am trying to send some money to my go to TD using WU like I have done many times in the past. When I tried it last night, it said the transaction was on hold and more information was required. So I called them up and they were like, can I have the phone number of the receiver and their ID number(!) - I was like I don't have the info and that I've changed my mind and to cancel the transaction.

I then tried moneygram for the first time and again I was sent an email saying the transaction has been held and to call for more information. I then spoke to someone who said what is your relationship with the receiver, when was the last time you met him, are you trying to buying a item from him etc etc.

In the end I answered the questions as I did (excluding the item bit) - I was then told to contact my bank as it was held up by them. I did so and now can proceed with the transaction again but will have to resubmit and then potentially have to provide answers again.

I was kinda put of by it to be honest - maybe the first time in this hobby.

Anyone else having similar recent experiences?

dfq23

Moneygram over the counter at your local post office is the best way I found. Online is too much hassle

Lorenove06

Lately even WU via agency it's harder than before.

A couple of days ago I've been asked for a copy of my ID, even if I have a WU card were all my data are recorded.

First time since I've signed it...

Kwt

Hmmm I was about to pop into a WU and do it in person but now after your post - it's got me doubting.

Lorenove06

WU agent told me that now it's their standard procedure to send money out to China or Eastern Europe ( I'm in EU ).

I'm still tryig to figure out what was the copy of my ID for: they already had every info since the day I signed the damn WU card...

mindvision

It's such a hassle. I rather pay a bit more and use PP, not want to go to a physical location just to send money anymore.

ShovelnTC

It's such a hassle. I rather pay a bit more and use PP, not want to go to a physical location just to send money anymore.

Yeah I have to admit that I have become lazy and am over having to physically go to an agent and then tell them my life story before they accept my money.

Had a pricey watch ordered some time ago but the WU had gotten much harder to finalize so opted out of the purchase.

What with extra hassle paying and a huge increase in exchange rate I haven't bought much this year.

MetalMickey

I only use PayPal or (prepaid) Credit Card now. Everything else just seems too much hassle these days and I always get blocked by WU anyway. I've not found it restricting my choice, I just choose dealers who will accept the payment method and if it costs a little more then so be it.

toyota08

Hi Guys just been trying to use WU online transaction failed every time they said sorry have a promo code and go to post office pain in the BUTT.

Kwt

Yeah so the latest was, tried twice with money gram online and it failed. Went to the PO to enquire who said I had to fill out a form and bring the exact amount in cash plus fees which given the fluctuating exchange rate, I needed to bring more or less to cover the difference as and when I go. I was like this is LONG.

WU still failed on me as well so I am not going to bother using them anymore.

In the end the TD in question I have bought from many times basically let me use international bank transfer which is slightly awkward as well.

As Micky has said, you have to find the right dealer and pay more money in the process to chose your preferred payment or just stick to M2M and hope your watch you want turns up but it's been mentioned on here - M2M has been really slow recently.

Genius

If the TD accepts Bt try transferwise found out about it when I bought a sub from TC and it was so easy I've actually used it for work aswell

Venomous

If the TD accepts Bt try transferwise found out about it when I bought a sub from TC and it was so easy I've actually used it for work aswell

+1 with that. I used TransferWise with BK too.

V

Lorenove06

Can't use international Bank tranfer.

Maybe it's my Bank, but the fees are out of this world.

Payment troubles add more pain in the ass to our hobby.

An other issue to deal with such as choosing the right model, the right version, the right dealer, the right piece judging QC pics...

narikaa

Oh the stress and pain

maybe self harm and Invictas

is all the world has left to offer

Big Adam

+1 with that. I used TransferWise with BK too.

V

Interesting. I agree that Transferwise is easy but when I tried to pay one of those TDs (I won't say which) using it, I got a message saying the receiving account was blocked from accepting funds!

Mr Stubbs

Oh the stress and pain

maybe self harm and Invictas

is all the world has left to offer

Nothing says 'surrender' like self harm and Invictas. :coffee2:

RUSH2112

Invictas are a cry for help.

Steelfish

Whenever I bought from Robert I used MoneyGram online and it was a breeze.....then again.....naturally that was a while back now and the "breezability" aspect may have changed. thinking-006.GIF

narikaa

Tired of banging this drum

but

you have to appreciate that WU is an old concept brought about to facilitate for a fee giving a little cash to your starving third world relatives, or to little Johnny whose found fiscal management a none starter in his back packing gap year.

Now despite all your spoonfed 'I want it now & I want it easy' WU IS NOT A PAYMENT PROCESSOR for purchases. In fact the last thing on god's green earth WU wants to be involved in are Credit Card chargebacks for consumer disputes. Which is why they're way happier with Folding Stuff at an agents (no comebacks), and when rampant payment processing discovered the parties concerned are blacklisted.

Lorenove06

I understad what you say.

The problem is in the fact that I've been asked to use WU or MG by more than a TD.

Got a mail yesterday from MR saying that from now on they will accept only MG payments.

It's not my choice.

The whole process, not only payment methods, is a pain in the ass I confirm that, but I love watches and reps so I'm prepared to face the bullshit.

Seand83

I had the same issues last time I placed a order with my TD. I finally had to give up and go to WU in person, which sucks because here in New York WU's are not exactly in the best areas.

I guess this is the price we pay for buying stuff of the black market.