Sign in to follow this  
MrWhite

A moral dilemma

MrWhite

I've bought a couple of reps the last couple of months, relatively cheap as a toe in the water sort of thing.

Anyway on Saturday I was out and purchased an oris bc3 from a large multi chain jewellers, its absolutely fantastic I love the watch. On returning home I put it next to the lower end reps and quality wise I'm starting to feel like I made a mistake in paying so much, I'm genuinely considering getting a refund Saturday as I'm now finding it difficult justifying the extra outlay. Has anyone else been in a similar position since getting into reps. I understand the moral consequences of buying a rep over a gen but I just can't shake the feeling of regret really

greg_r

did you really need to post SIX copies of this thread? Others have been deleted - please be more careful in future.

Big Adam

Five 'Our Fathers and seven 'Hail Marys' and you'll be propping up the Chinese economy in guilt-free fashion in no time.

RichardMiami

This has NOTHING to do with morals, unless your moral code prohibits the breaking of some minor laws. If it does, good luck to you, as your replica collection is the least of your problems I am sure.

It is however a legal dilemma, about the same level as jaywalking or pulling the tags off of new furniture. meh.

Or4n6e

Hi, I too have been through this dilemma. I bought a oris tt1 about 2yrs ago and did compared it to my reps. Even with the quality of reps nowadays it's never going to be gen and to honest the prices of some really good reps are getting closer and closer to gen prices.

MrWhite

No idea how the 6 threads came about, sorry about that

Left Coast Guy

C'mon, calling rep buying a moral dilemma is a little aggressive don't you think? Is it a moral dilemma for Rolex to charge an 800% mark-up over material and labor input on their products? And before you say, "well its their product, they have the right to charge what they want", how do you respond to the pharmaceutical exec that just raised the price of his company's HIV/AIDS medicine by 30x for no reason? I get there are nuances to the arguments, but aren't we just talking about shades of gray in all regards?

The reality is that people do what they can get away on both sides -- Companies price what they can get people to pay and the dead weight lost due to counterfeiting is an expected consequence of that pricing decision.

MrWhite

To be honest I'm not really cut up by purchasing reps, the guilt I feel is that ive spent about £650 too much on a watch, the moral dilemma bit is just a play on that, I should really have just cut that out and said do you struggle to pay so much for gen watches and made myself a bit clearer

Big Adam

Now that's different. Do I buy a gen or feed the kids?

Robin195959

Most of us here live comfortably with both and sleep well

JazzV3

I would assume that you also paid too much at the "large multi chain jewelry store"?

I saw it priced at retail ($1,450), but can be had for much less.

i.e. $900 @ jomashop for bracelet version.

Gen watch, 2 yr warranty, Display back w/workhorse Sellita SW220 movement (Oris 735), Day/Date, nice bracelet, for under $1k.

Why the regret...?

Gazzla

Gens, reps, whatever. Just buy what you like. End of. :D

WatchDog21

No dilemma at all. Own both reps and gens and sleep well at night.

rusty peters

I have some nice reps, including some super reps. I paid the long dollar for a gen Omega SMP and I feel great about it every time I turn the crown without fear of stripped threads or keyless issues. Enjoy both.

onzenuub

Get a blow job done and you will feel much better. :D

Frankt8242

IMNSFHO, the real "moral dilemma" should be suffered by the oligarchs running a company that sells watches to unsophisticated rubes like us, for 20-30X what they're REALLY worth, using very cleverly contrived marketing bullshit..!!

They are only outranked by the cartel that controls the marketing of crystallized carbon fragments to fools who actually believe "A diamond is Forever"!...

We are indeed fortunate to have "friends in Guangzhou" who are willing to make fine pieces of costume jewelry that display the time, for prices a lot closer to what they are really worth, available to us....!!

Enjoy your reps, take that Oris back, use the money to feed your kids..Or whatever else you deem appropriate..!! :hangin::giggle:

insert-here

I have both too, gen and reps. They are all just watches to me.

narikaa

This has NOTHING to do with morals, unless your moral code prohibits the breaking of some minor laws. If it does, good luck to you, as your replica collection is the least of your problems I am sure.

It is however a legal dilemma, about the same level as jaywalking or pulling the tags off of new furniture. meh.

Most laws have sod all to do with morals

Dr Yan

Buying rep cigarettes , now there's a moral dilemma !

dalboy

I bought some Rep condoms once !

My six kids can be a pain in the arse at times .

Dal

Sakurai

Doesn't sound like you're all that happy with the perceived value of the Oris, if so then by all means return it if you are able to. The right watch, gen or rep, will/should feel well worth the money you need to part with to bring it into the fold!

Joeboy

Over the years I have spent many £1,000's on gen watches, some of which I have recouped through sales but I still have a couple of gens along with a couple of reps. One thing I can say from experience is that I actually enjoy the reps more, strange but true as I'm not so worried about little marks and desk diving scratches so it's reps all the way for me from now onwards. It's also a far more engaging hobby than gens as most things are obtainable, albeit slightly compromised. Don't feel guilty, just enjoy your chosen hobby and keep the Oris, it's a good watch just not 5 times better than a good rep, which is what you may have been expecting as it was 5 times the price........

myaz

At 2 ends of the spectrum, there will always be some that feel guilty about owning a rep pitted against others resenting the high price of many gens.

Both sides got good points.

Make peace with yourself, skip the Prilosec.

BadPickle

Pretend all your reps are gens, give them pet names like, Rachael Rolex, Tracey Tag, etc.... Works for me ;)

Baldrick

There's no moral dillema...they're just steel and glass objects....the only value they have is what other people confer upon them...I've had lots of gens over my years...APs..Breguet...Van der Klauuw..Patek...along with a smattering of lesser marques...most of them were safe queens...most of them are also gone now.

I'm very satisfied with the quality of reps nowadays...as long as you choose wisely and ensure that you have access to a good watchsmith.

Avoid all the nonsense that's espoused on here by 'experts'...they're the only ones that choke their chicken over the minutiae and the prospect of spending stupid amounts of money on trying to make their fake watch more genuine...but the old maxim applies..'stupid is..as stupid does"....Joe Schmoe couldn't give a flying fuck and is less able to spot a fake than a ladyboy on Soi 6 on a jolly boy's outing.

Go for the refund and buy something that has greater value....watches are like ties...every day brings a new 'favourite'.

The days of having just one watch to wear are gone...there's a plethora of highly acceptable wrist jewellery...courtesy of Uncle Wong...may the Buddha bless him....now...where did I put that Cartier Diver....ahhh..fuck it...I'll wear the AP LeBron instead :B):