Sign in to follow this  
cogwatch

Breitling SOA 44 Latest Gen vs Available Rep Side by Side Comparison

cogwatch

NOTE: I have changed the title and some of the text in the body of this thread to reflect the feedback from Del below.

Having loved my SOA 44 rep, and having just gotten the newest version of the gen, it thought you all would be interested in my thoughts about how they compare. This is a comparison of the rep, which was based on an earlier version of the gen, and a newer latest version of the gen. So not so much a side by side review of apples to apples rep versus gen, but rather a comparison of the available rep and the latest gen. By "available rep", I mean available via M2M only as the rep is no longer available from TDs as far as I know.

First of all, the rep is definitely awesome. If it wasn't so awesome, it wouldn't have led me to the gen.

Having said that though, the latest version of the gen is definitely sharper, crisper, finer, tighter. The blacks are blacker (probably due to the better AR as far as the dial), the numbers are sharper, the "SuperOcean" script is finer, the date font is much better, the AR is better, the bracelet is much nicer. Note, as stated above, the rep was made to replicate an earlier version of the gen, and in particular, the new version gen bracelet is much better than both the rep and the earlier version gen.

Below are some comparison pics. Where they are both on the same pic, the new version gen is on the left. Where they are in separate pics, the new version gen is first, then the rep.

At a macro level, and with a casual glance, they don't look too different at all. Not sure if you can tell the difference in this pic, but in real life, the blacks on the new version gen are much blacker. I thought black was black. But now I know, there's black, and there's BLACK. The better AR on the gen no doubt has an impact on how black the dial looks. But the bezel is a deeper black as well.

New Version Gen/Rep

image_zpszu44jyan.jpeg

Here you can see a lot of the subtle differences. The "SuperOcean" script is much finer. The numbers on the bezel are sharper (look at both the 4 and 5 on the 45), the date font is nicer and fills the window better, the round dots on the new version gen bezel at 1 to 15 versus the square dots on the rep.

New Version Gen

image_zpslcg8zkkt.jpeg

Rep

image_zpsqavngqdp.jpeg

Not much difference in this view. The ends of the lugs are a little more finely pointed and a smoother curve down on the gen. The bracelet links are bigger on the new version gen compared to the rep, which they are compared to the earlier version gen as well.

New Version Gen/Rep

image_zpsieetgwbf.jpeg

I think you can see the blacker blacks here. And a better look at the end links of the bracelets.

New Version Gen/Rep

image_zps3luea8vh.jpeg

Again, blacker blacks, and better end link configuration.

New Version Gen/Rep

image_zpsw8kxe5pr.jpeg

Just another view

New Version Gen

image_zps9c0x0el5.jpeg

Rep

image_zpsdhhihxrd.jpeg

I always though the engraving on the rep clasp looked OK. Now it looks cheap compared to the new version gen

New Version Gen/Rep

image_zpsqtze3gji.jpeg

Bigger links, better finish, and just more comfortable on the gen bracelet

New Version Gen/Rep

image_zpshwsfyoic.jpeg

Again, blacker blacks, "SuperOcean" script much finer, better date font, crisper Breitling wings

New Version Gen

image_zpsytx3pvyk.jpeg

Rep

image_zps2fqvjtox.jpeg

Dots on the gen, squares on the rep . Crisper bezel numbers on the gen.

New Version Gen

image_zpsb5sv8jhh.jpeg

Rep

image_zpsphjdh1vn.jpeg

Closeup of the "SuperOcean" script difference.

New Version Gen

image_zpsst7if3dg.jpeg

Rep

image_zpsafm6yvi4.jpeg

Closeup of bezel number difference

New Version Gen

image_zpskb31dcqz.jpeg

Rep

image_zpsdp4jaiux.jpeg

In conclusion. The rep is awesome. The gen is awesome at another level. The cool thing is, having had the rep and loved it, once you see the differences in the gen, when you look at the gen, all those sharper, crisper, tighter things jump out at you in a way that I don't think they would if you didn't have the already beautiful rep to compare it to. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone. But it makes all the sense in the world to me.

Thanks for looking, and I hope you enjoyed the review.

rawbaws

Great review. The bracelet is a stand out for me. The rep almost looks nothing like gen.

rawbaws

By the way I think you put the same photo in there as a rep when it is gen :)

EDIT fixed :)

cogwatch
By the way I think you put the same photo in there as a rep when it is gen :)

EDIT fixed :)

Haha, I was one step ahead of you :)

elp

Great review, thanks for sharing. Whereas I can see how the Gen is much crisper/better overall, what jumps out at me is how good the rep is already.

Kernow

Both lovely. The gen is the new bracelet design, whereas the rep is the old bracelet design, not incorrect just the older version of the gen. The bezel dots/squares are on the gens. They had both, although I don't know when they changes from one to another. I've heard that the gens had more squared off bezel numbers and you can see it in your macro photos. All in all though, these reps are very good, but as you say the gen is on another level. Great buy wear in good health.

cogwatch
Great review. The bracelet is a stand out for me. The rep almost looks nothing like gen.

I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised by the bracelet. I had no idea it would be so different. That was a big bonus I didn't expect!!

Del

Nice review. However, it's already been done before, and with the same versions of rep/gen...

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=44748

You are comparing an updated gen version of the SO44 with the original version of the rep SO44. The bracelet, for example, is a completely different bracelet - the rep isn't wrong or bad, it's a completely different version!

Also, I think you'll find that the "blacker blacks" is actually just better AR on the gen, which I highlight in my review noted above.

Congrats on a lovely new watch though - it's a beauty! :thumbsup2:

l3wyh

My SO44 says hello!

muJ6fzH.jpg

just got my gen last week as well as I didnt like the new style at all, but as Del mentions the final SO44 changed slightly, from what I understand the originals of this version started out more of a highly polished stainless steel, and on the final versions it was more of a Satin finish, if you take a look at the bracelets you will probably notice a slight difference in the model number, final versions used a 162a satin finish brushed steel and older version used possibly the 158 or 131, don't quote me on the last numbers tho.

Either way its a lovely watch and im enjoying wearing mine at the moment, not sure if im going to get the 2 tone strap to go with it yet :)

cogwatch

Nice review. However, it's already been done before, and with the same versions of rep/gen...

You are comparing an updated gen version of the SO44 with the original version of the rep SO44. The bracelet, for example, is a completely different bracelet - the rep isn't wrong or bad, it's a completely different version!

Also, I think you'll find that the "blacker blacks" is actually just better AR on the gen, which I highlight in my review noted above.

Thanks for the feedback Del. I changed the title and some of the text in the thread to reflect your points.

And yes, it truly is a beauty. I'm quite thrilled with it!!

Sakurai

Awesome pics, thanks for sharing! I had noticed they come on an updated bracelet, but had no clue about the other changes. I fully understand what you mean about those small differences vs the rep making a big difference in how you perceive it! It's actually great they upgraded it so there are some differences vs the rep that one can see also without a blown up photo lol. :)

My rep says hi - funds allowing it would be totally fantastic to have one like yours for certain occasions, and use the rep for everyday wear. Congratulations again!

22016690549_d75b41c5c1_c.jpg

rawbaws

I think it would be a shame if people were dissuaded from conducting a side by side just because it had been done before... even if the comparison is of slightly different models.

I for one enjoyed both of your posts. Rep v Gen posts are some of the most interesting on the board.

Congrats Cog

MetalMickey

The more side to sides the better.

It was Del's Tudor Black Bay comparison that got me into this game in the first place. I still find myself amazed at how good some reps are.

millionaire wannabe

Very interesting. The superocean is on my "to buy" list, been on the backburner for a while, but the more i learn about it, the more i appreciate it. Both rep and (of course) gen are gorgeous ! Congrats and enjoy!

JakD

Nice comparison! :)

However, I'm puzzled about whats going on with the DW font on the rep? I remember these to be very gen like from previous reviews I've read, but this one looks wrong. Or are we talking about different versions of the rep here?

Someone enlighten me please :huh:

And on another note, does anyone know if they're making a rep version of the updated gen aswell? Have been on on the lookout for one of these for a while and no one has them, but maybe here's my chance?

Edited by JakD

Sakurai
Nice comparison! :)

However, I'm puzzled about whats going on with the DW font on the rep? I remember these to be very gen like from previous reviews I've read, but this one looks wrong. Or are we talking about different versions of the rep here?

Someone enlighten me please :huh:

And on another note, does anyone know if they're making a rep version of the updated gen aswell? Have been on on the lookout for one of these for a while and no one has them, but maybe here's my chance?

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping for a rep version of the updated gen, actually the gen SOA 44 has been changed recently to a totally different look (the Superocean 44 II), so once the AD's and other dealers are out of this model of the gen, that's it - gone, finito.

As far as getting hold of a rep, your best bet is M2M - actually it's your only bet.

Good luck though, like's been said the reps of these are absolutely brilliant!

Sakurai

Hey Cog, btw, is the taper of the bracelet the same for your updated gen and the rep? In some pics it almost seems to taper to a bit more narrow, but maybe that's just an illusion? Man, I keep returning here to check it out, and all the while there's a little voice saying 'once it's gone it's gone, ain't gonna be made any more of them...'

JazzV3

"...and all the while there's a little voice saying 'once it's gone it's gone, ain't gonna be made any more of them..."

I've always liked this model too. That same little voice was what prompted me to snag the gen like Cog did.

I didn't like the newest version of this watch's dial and found a good deal on remaining stock of the previous one.

Damn box arrived this morning and has been staring at me all day. Need to finish up some work and tear into that sucker. :nana:

cogwatch
Hey Cog, btw, is the taper of the bracelet the same for your updated gen and the rep? In some pics it almost seems to taper to a bit more narrow, but maybe that's just an illusion? Man, I keep returning here to check it out, and all the while there's a little voice saying 'once it's gone it's gone, ain't gonna be made any more of them...'

Both the rep and the gen bracelets taper from 22mm at the lugs to 20mm at the clasp.

MikeAlmighty

The date font is way off on the newer version. All in all still a great rep

Moondustesp

Love this watch. Lucky man enjoy it

Moondustesp

Love this watch. Lucky man enjoy it

ImNotFatImFluffy

i imagine next to an old version gen the rep would be almost spot on, man the details on the Gen are nice though (particularly i like the new (Satin i think) Finishing on the Gen bracelet is really nice) the bracelet seems better proportioned than the last verison

Robin195959

Like the new one a lot