Sign in to follow this  
Hornet

The Bulova Moonwatch.

novnovi

Will buy one for sure !

but... Quartz :(

KarmaToBurn

These look very cool. Will definitely buy one if I see it on sale for less than $300

Daffy

What's wrong with a really high frequency quartz microstepper, good to within a few seconds a year? I bet it has a better sweep than the asian automatics (and probably some Swiss automatics...)

Hornet

I've tried to find out some more details but no luck. Have emailed bulova and asked them....

Bamadadof3

Will buy one for sure !

Well I think it's actually an upgraded tuning fork that is pretty cool technology. Instead of a 2 pronged fork it has a 3 pronged fork and is much smaller. It spits out 262 Hrz which basically makes the hand smooth as silk. I'll have to go back and research why it's called "Quartz" instead of tuning fork maybe they vibrate the fork with a piece of quartz? Either way it hints at the old fork accutron watches that I loved. Maybe someone else knows this technology better than me and can chime in but the Bulova precisionist series of watches use the same type movement.

Generally I agree with your view on a $550 quartz watch but this one would be an exception to me maybe.

Bamadadof3

What's wrong with a really high frequency quartz microstepper, good to within a few seconds a year? I bet it has a better sweep than the asian automatics (and probably some Swiss automatics...)

As far as I know nothing can compete with this 262 KHZ sweep yet. 16 beats per second basically.

Edited by Bamadadof3

Bamadadof3

Will buy one for sure !

Well I think it's actually an upgraded tuning fork that is pretty cool technology. Instead of a 2 pronged fork it has a 3 pronged fork and is much smaller. It spits out 262 Hrz which basically makes the hand smooth as silk. I'll have to go back and research why it's called "Quartz" instead of tuning fork maybe they vibrate the fork with a piece of quartz? Either way it hints at the old fork accutron watches that I loved. Maybe someone else knows this technology better than me and can chime in but the Bulova precisionist series of watches use the same type movement.

Generally I agree with your view on a $550 quartz watch but this one would be an exception to me maybe.

After some more checking I guess the actual crystal itself is shaped into the 3-pronged configuration (resonator) so it is technically a quartz movement not a accutron "tuning fork" type watch that used a metal fork and coils to excite it.

HeavyKrush
16 beats per second, yes much smoother than just about any Swiss auto. My Precisionist is buttery smooth. No Quartz tick anywhere.

millionaire wannabe
Looks very interesting but I miss the tuning fork on the dial, something I believe they have moved away from. I would like to see some of the specs on it.

Here's what they say about the tuning fork....

The Tuning Fork: Past, Present and Future

To our customers:

You may have noticed that we recently updated our logo, refreshing our graphics and changing our use of the tuning fork symbol to emphasize its proper place in our history. This renowned corporate icon will be featured on the dials of our new Bulova Accutron II exclusively, and will no longer appear on Bulova or Bulova Accu·Swiss dials.

A proud symbol of Bulova’s leadership in technology, the tuning fork initially signified the revolutionary tuning fork movement of Accutron, the world’s first fully electronic watch. Our new Bulova Accutron II brand, like the original Accutron, is powered by a highly accurate electronic breakthrough, the Precisionist-class quartz movement, and features a continuously sweeping floating second hand. As the logical successor to the Accutron tradition, only Bulova Accutron II will include a tuning fork on its dial, emphasizing the meaning of the symbol itself.

To continue honoring this important symbol of the Bulova story, the tuning fork will continue to function as a corporate icon, appearing on Bulova and Bulova Accu·Swiss crowns, buckles and casebacks, unless the design makes it impractical.

In our efforts to sharpen brand equity and tell a consistent story through design and technology, we have also tightened the scope of each collection. For our high-performance Marine Star, this has meant limiting the name and the special Marine Star logo to those watches that, like the original Marine Star, are dive watches or offer style notes consistent with a dive watch. Existing models that did not meet that design standard have been moved to the general Bulova collection and have had the Marine Star logo removed.

Please be assured that every Bulova timepiece purchased from an authorized dealer should be completely authentic and that each of our brands will continue to provide the reliable blend of design and technology expected by our loyal and valued customers.

"...Please be assured that every Bulova timepiece purchased from an authorized dealer should be completely authentic..."

:picard:

Wait a minute, every Bulova timepiece from an authorized dealer SHOULD BE authentic???!!! Vs. WILL BE?

:Shocked::beer3::bsmeter::coke::wtf:

You mean, if I buy a Bulova from an AD, it might NOT be completely authentic??? Is this an out of control situation, where reps are getting mixed into dealer stock? Or AD's are deliberately selling reps as gen???? :lol::D

Edited by millionaire wannabe

novnovi

Will buy one for sure !

I was thinking it was a ''common'' quartz, after your explication i checked on the web and i have to say that's way batter ! i also found this nice video on thetube

but it's still a quartz... and i don't know how to explain but i don't feel it works for me, unless it's my g-shock :D

Btw i will make an exception for this, also the original Bulova moon was equiped with an accutron movement.

so yes ! will buy one !!! ! :D

Edited by novnovi

Chavezzito

Just trying to help with the video.

But fuck it...didn´t work :rofl:

WatchDog21

millionaire wannabe

Cool video. It sucks these aren't automatic, but with that high accuracy, silky smooth automatic looking second hand, and high frequency technology, these are in a class of their own, unless Seiko has a similar mvt.?

Also, all of the watches in the vid SHOULD BE gens.... :lmao:

Hornet

Seeing that video has clinched it for me, 2016's first watch has been decided then!

KarmaToBurn

Cool video. It sucks these aren't automatic, but with that high accuracy, silky smooth automatic looking second hand, and high frequency technology, these are in a class of their own, unless Seiko has a similar mvt.?

Seiko Spring Drive and Bulova Precisionist together. Like butter....

Edit: How do you embed a YouTube video in a post?

WatchDog21
Cool video. It sucks these aren't automatic, but with that high accuracy, silky smooth automatic looking second hand, and high frequency technology, these are in a class of their own, unless Seiko has a similar mvt.? Also, all of the watches in the vid SHOULD BE gens.... :lmao:

remove the S in the https

Bamadadof3

The spring drive seiko is a freaking awesome design but price wise it can't compete and I think it still can't compete accuracy wise. I know when they first came out they were 1 sec a day verses 10 sec a year with the bulova. $500 verses $2000 or at least last I researched them that was about the cheapest spring drive out there but maybe they have come down. The spring drive is a very out of the box idea. I was amazed that a watch mainspring could provide enough current to power the magnetic brake and vibrate the crystal at the same time. Amazing idea but even more amazing they could get it to work in the limited space available. Take a look at the balance wheel on them it's kinda crazy looking. I've been on the lookout for a couple years on and off trying to find one I could afford but none yet. For the $ the Bulova HF 262 khz movement can't be beat period.