Sign in to follow this  
deju

Buying a Gen, no box / papers. Advice?

deju

Hi guys,

Looking for advise and general thoughts on buying a Gen Rolex without box and papers.

I'm in love with a Rolex datejust (black face with white gold bezel) that a dealers has on Chrono24.

It looks minted but only comes with a jewellers supplied box and paperwork + 1years warranty.

I'm trying to get my head round the value of these things and what the impact of the value of the watch as a incomplete package.

It's kinda an impulse buy that I didn't expect to fall in love with.

In the past I've been able to work out market values of the gen watches I've bought but with Rolex it seems to be all over the place.

Dealers don't tend to put the Rolex reference numbers and I struggle to see the difference between an £1700 DJ and a £4000 one.

So any general pointers would be appreciated!

Cheers

NFleischer

I would take it to AD to verify validity first off.

dalboy

Personally .... I would avoid any Gen that was incomplete , especially at that level !

Unless it was priced so low only a fool would pass it by.

Dal.

hnic

if you dont care about the complete package than why not

just make sure the dealer is trusted

because its a watch only the price is probably nice

and if you ever decide to sell you'll have to ask a price that suits the value

nothing beats a gen Rolex

i'd say go for it!

plankton
Personally .... I would avoid any Gen that was incomplete , especially at that level !

Unless it was priced so low only a fool would pass it by.

Dal.

I agree, you can always wait and save some more cash and get the correct package. I'd back away, too many potential issues could arise.

onzenuub

What's to nice to be true, most of the time it is.

RUSH2112

It's been said but the price should reflect the missing documentation.

BadPickle

a fool and his money........... You know the rest I'm sure.

edwinowl

Most of the comments here are spot on. Sadly there are a huge amount of watches that have been parted from papers, documentation boxes etc. I've been tempted with a few on C24 myself but would as always look at the seller, history etc. ask for more pics and also do your research, even ask on here as there are plenty of guys with experience here.

JohnG

I would also want to check the serial number to be sure it isn´t stolen - I assume a dealer can do this?

Gazzla

No box, no papers, no receipt of purchase = potential problems and will affect your resale value and ability to resell.

malkie

I have purchased a gen under very similar conditions, the price reflected the lack of a box etc. Too good to be missed in my opinion.

I wanted the watch to wear daily and was not fussed about the rest of the accessories.

I carried out a fair amount of research before parting with my hard earned, I also had the watch validated once received.

There are argument's both ways, and being realistic if I were buying a watch in the region of £3k upwards, I would want all the extras too.

JSJ
I would also want to check the serial number to be sure it isn´t stolen - I assume a dealer can do this?

Is there such a database of stolen watches? Would be good to know.

I bought a camera lens at a car boot sale. Was amongst rusty tools and cheap plastic binoculars etc. I'm a Canon owner but I know what a Micro Nikkor is. Paid £10. Cleaned it up, it was surprisingly in excellent condition. Second hand price was about £250, new about £400. Phoned the police and Nikon with the serial number to see if it had been stolen. Both told me there is nowhere to check.

Traded it for a decent point and shoot.

The twist is that the point and shoot was stolen from my car when it went in for a service. My fault...

I wouldn't buy the watch in the OP. Not because of my story above, just because it's too much potential grief.

UmpaHimself

I wouldn't man. Just think about trying to sell it later and that whole explanation. It would have to be a crazy deal for me to buy a watch with no box/papers.

onzenuub

Is there such a database of stolen watches? Would be good to know.

Yep, police has it. In The Netherlands there is a site where everything that has a serial number can be checken or it is stolen or not. Unfortunate it's only in Dutch and only about in our country as stolen registered items. https://www.stopheling.nl/

Kleen™

You don't wear the box and papers, so this only becomes relevant if you're planning to sell it at some point in the future. But do get the authenticity verified with an AD and check that it's not stolen goods...

deju

Is there a rough guide to the sort of %. I should knock off for lacking box and papers?

Not really bothered about resell, thanks to this hobby I'm just picking off gens I want as keepers, I'm trying to stay in the sub £2000 Gen market at the moment.

Kleen™
Is there a rough guide to the sort of %. I should knock off for lacking box and papers?

Not really bothered about resell, thanks to this hobby I'm just picking off gens I want as keepers, I'm trying to stay in the sub £2000 Gen market at the moment.

It that case it wouldn't worry me the least, providing an AD can verify it's authencity and the price is right.

HeavyKrush

D, as I look for a 16610 it seems to me that the price difference between a watch without and without box and papers is all over the place. So much so that I'm not even looking at watches without papers any longer. Biggest discount I've seen is in the 20% range but that's extremely anecdotal. Again, given the volatility of pricing I wouldn't consider a watch without paperwork unless it was in the 30% off range and only after a check at an AD. Best of luck in your hunt mate.

MA123

It all depends on the level of discount provided for me.

No-one sees the box and papers when its on your wrist! So if you're buying this as an everyday watch and 'know' it will be a keeper for life, then if the discount for the lack of papers is sensible i'd be tempted to go for it. However, if its going to be an occasional watch or one you may fall out of love with or need to sell on, then i'd be prepared to have to discount heavily to shift it. !

RUSH2112

I've never purchased a watch I thought it was going to sell but I've sold many watches. Get the box and papers or a discount large enough to resell at a reasonable price because you never know.....

Clinkinfo

Guys, a correct and box set runs about $125-$150. Then the only missing item would be the certificate, which frankly is missing often on older datejusts.

I think your all making a mountain out of a molehill. You can buy the gen box set, it's just a discussion of authenticity and price.

Cdevil
What's to nice to be true, most of the time it is.

This. This needs to be taught in schools just like that.

JohnG

Guys, a correct and box set runs about $125-$150. Then the only missing item would be the certificate, which frankly is missing often on older datejusts.

I think your all making a mountain out of a molehill. You can buy the gen box set, it's just a discussion of authenticity and price.

I agree.

Plus, if you confirm the watch is not stolen, and then have it serviced in the future, you will have a receipt from Rolex with your name on it. With a box and a service receipt there is no question that the watch was not just snatched from the locker room at the country club.