Sign in to follow this  
kennycoder

New smartwatch from Tag with an interesting twist...

kennycoder

Was just checking this out:

http://hothardware.com/news/tag-heuer-announces-1500-46mm-connected-android-wear-smartwatch-with-intel-power

What caught my eye was the following:

"So what you’re paying for is the grade 2 titanium casing and, of course, the TAG Heuer name. The TAG Heuer Connected will be priced at $1,500 and will come with a two-year warranty. After that warranty is up, owners will have the opportunity to trade it in, pay an additional $1,500 and receive a “real” mechanical TAG Heuer watch."

Doesn't look bad either but very pricey.

greg_r

So basically, you're buying a Carrera on interest-free credit. Two payments of $1500 two years apart. While you save for the second payment, you get a dumbwatch... err. smartwatch to use.

Um... sure, that speaks of confidence in the smartwatch concept doesn't it? :rofl:

Wriggles

I dunno Greg, it's an interesting ploy.

Entice those who buy designer labels into the smartwatch arena that wouldn't go for the godawful looking Apple 'watch' or other smartwatch.

If they really like it, well then fair enough, they've made a sale, if not they are incentivised to go mechanical and maybe Tag get a new life long customer out of it. Either way they get another sale.

If they prove insanely popular no doubt they'll develop more models, and extend the concept out to the rest of the LMVH brands

Interesting way of hedging your bets on the smartwatch market

Strangely I quite like it, having sworn smartwatches are the spawn of the devil......must resist.....

kennycoder

I dunno Greg, it's an interesting ploy.

Entice those who buy designer labels into the smartwatch arena that wouldn't go for the godawful looking Apple 'watch' or other smartwatch.

If they really like it, well then fair enough, they've made a sale, if not they are incentivised to go mechanical and maybe Tag get a new life long customer out of it. Either way they get another sale.

If they prove insanely popular no doubt they'll develop more models, and extend the concept out to the rest of the LMVH brands

Interesting way of hedging your bets on the smartwatch market

Strangely I quite like it, having sworn smartwatches are the spawn of the devil......must resist.....

I kinda have a similar view on this. Plus it looks quite nice but I'm not ready for "smartwatch" just yet. 30h battery life is a downside too. But if the charging is wireless (not specified in the article), then it's quite ok for me as I don't sleep with my watches not I need to plug anything into it.

UmpaHimself
:facepalm:

Kleen™

As long as they haven't figured out how to make a smartwatch self-charge (like e.g. kinetic), it will remain a dumb choice...

Gazzla
cqY63VV.gif

stevok2305

Never seen the point in a smartwatch myself.

l3wyh

I have to say I was on the fence with smart watches, I live my apple gear but managed to resist getting one on the launch as I didn't really see the use in one, I love my Swiss watches and it's something I appreciate and enjoy wearing every time I put one on.

For some unknown reason I broke and bought an Apple Watch for me and my wife, I Have now owned one for the last 3 weeks and as much as I didn't see the point I really do like it. They still have a long way to go but for notifications, basic fitness tracking it's actually not bad.

The Tag connected is also starting to grown on me, I think android wear is getting better at working with iOS. I know it's not a full Swiss watch, and as a smart watch it's not the best out there and lacks some features. But it's more of a watch than the rest, it looks like nice watch and more less of a gadget.

The thought of wearing my Apple Watch and a Swiss watch has entered my mind, but for fear of looking even more of a bellend I have resisted lol, maybe the tag connected could be the right balance??

Before spending the money I have been looking at the Moto 360 as its only £99 to get in and try for a few days first.

I'm not sure what to think of the trade in option, maybe if they could just upgrade the inner smart watch workings for a newer version it would be better.

The one but I will say I'm not sure of is the logo, I know it's there logo but it looks cheap compared to the arrow ended version.

Pretty good hands on review I found in YouTube today

And I don't really know what to say about the lunch box it comes in either lol

CedricWX

Apple smart watches are the most pointless objects in the Universe. Battery life appalling, useless without your Apple phone, useless with your Apple phone, useless full stop. They are an unwanted, un-needed niche in a market that will be forced into use come hell or high water. As long as the Apple sheep continue to blindly follow in their fanbois fashion, this pointless piece of marketing will probably succeed. Got to love the design though - errm.. same design as every other piece of Apple kit - their designer sure has an easy life.

l3wyh

Apple smart watches are the most pointless objects in the Universe. Battery life appalling, useless without your Apple phone, useless with your Apple phone, useless full stop. They are an unwanted, un-needed niche in a market that will be forced into use come hell or high water. As long as the Apple sheep continue to blindly follow in their fanbois fashion, this pointless piece of marketing will probably succeed. Got to love the design though - errm.. same design as every other piece of Apple kit - their designer sure has an easy life.

take it you don't like apple lol

insert-here

Made me think a bit. Before trashing the apple watch, I thought I would go to the apple store and check it out myself, see what it was all about. I personally don't see the point in the thing. I don't want to look at my heart rate, or how many steps I've climbed, or put on glasses to read the tiny thing, and one more thing to update, plug in, and keep out of the water.

I suppose it is the future, sort of like alarm clocks. Keep getting better, cheaper, easier to use. How many people wind up an alarm clock , or anything mechanical for that matter? Will I live long enough to see watch museums, or even a watch d'elegance classic time piece show? Streamlined crap does not make art to me. Real watches are works of art and engineering.

Probably won't have a nice leather wallet in my pocket soon either, just a tiny chip in my ass. Time for afternoon nap now. :noway:

TheSav

Lot of money for not much watch.

Sakurai

Much Ado About Absolutely Fucking Nothing.

ShadyManc

I quite like it, so there. :boxedin:

I've always liked Tags having had a Link and Monaco in my collection, so this is something I may look at. I don't like the Apple Watch for all of the reason stated above, but I do like Apple products in general as they work, they're user-friendly in operation and work seamlessly with other Apple products. I think the Apple Watch looks awful, whereas this Tag looks like a real watch from what I can see and I like the fact you can change the face to suit your mood and dress, it's a bit like a Panerai strap change, it can change the personality of the piece immediately.

I'm not opposed to Smart watches per se & the more they look like a watch, and less like a mini-computer, the better.

Kleen™

I've always liked Tags having had a Link and Monaco in my collection, so this is something I may look at. I don't like the Apple Watch for all of the reason stated above, but I do like Apple products in general as they work, they're user-friendly in operation and work seamlessly with other Apple products. I think the Apple Watch looks awful, whereas this Tag looks like a real watch from what I can see and I like the fact you can change the face to suit your mood and dress, it's a bit like a Panerai strap change, it can change the personality of the piece immediately.

I'm not opposed to Smart watches per se & the more they look like a watch, and less like a mini-computer, the better.

+1

I have been an early adopter of every single product category Apple has ever brought to market....but the Apple Watch does absolutely nothing for me, so I'll stay damn clear of it.

Duzza

If you have an Apple phone the Tag Heuer Connected is pretty much useless to you.

CedricWX

Well Apple quality has gone to rat shit probably since Steve Jobs 'left'. In this household we have several pieces of dead Apple stuff. A 2012 Macbook Pro which is seriously fucked up having never been abused. An iPad which can not speak to the internet because Apple used cheap wifi chips and had to replace loads of iPads - only ours belongs to the missus and she just put it away once it stopped working - now no free fix. I had the famous battery problem where the battery blew up like a melon. Apple replaced it with another one that blew up like a melon. I had the dead logic board problem. Replaced under warranty. Now my Macbook Air is showing flaky signs - doesn't supply enough voltage to the USB ports.

So to say Apple stuff just works, is undoubtedly true for you, but Google is your Friend when you really want to see how far Apple has fallen.

- And before you point out that they make a zillion dollars a second - that's living off past glories, and having groupies for customers.

Edited by CedricWX

ShadyManc

Well Apple quality has gone to rat shit probably since Steve Jobs 'left'. In this household we have several pieces of dead Apple stuff. A 2012 Macbook Pro which is seriously fucked up having never been abused. An iPad which can not speak to the internet because Apple used cheap wifi chips and had to replace loads of iPads - only ours belongs to the missus and she just put it away once it stopped working - now no free fix. I had the famous battery problem where the battery blew up like a melon. Apple replaced it with another one that blew up like a melon. I had the dead logic board problem. Replaced under warranty. Now my Macbook Air is showing flaky signs - doesn't supply enough voltage to the USB ports.

So to say Apple stuff just works, is undoubtedly true for you, but Google is your Friend when you really want to see how far Apple has fallen.

- And before you point out that they make a zillion dollars a second - that's living off past glories, and having groupies for customers.

You've clearly had some significant issues, so each to their own. Couldn't agree more that there are groupies that would buy anything Apple, but I'm not one of them. As with all things I've had no issues, you've had plenty, so that's shaped our respective thinking.

insert-here

I personally think the Apple products get closer to Microsoft crap every update, I still prefer them over anything else, but since Job's is gone I don't think the company has the same drive. But it's a tough world to keep on top and keep coming out with innovative products, the watch was just waisted effort IMOP. But this thread is about the Tag POC.