Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC REVIEW: AP Royal Oak Jumbo 15202 New Release!!!

not_finbar

Thanks for the great review _DC_, very relevant to my interests. Have you handled the latest and greatest JF 15400 yet? If so, please can you comment on how this compares in terms of quality of finish?

zackassuline

Great review DC,

Thank you so much for that you helped me a lot as I'm a newbie

_DC_
Thanks for the great review _DC_, very relevant to my interests. Have you handled the latest and greatest JF 15400 yet? If so, please can you comment on how this compares in terms of quality of finish?

Only ever had one 15400 and that was the first one that came out, I'd say this is on par with that. Dunno if the 15400s have got better since, they were pretty good at the time?!?

DC

KarmaToBurn

Great review! So many sweet watches but so little money :cry:

not_finbar

Only ever had one 15400 and that was the first one that came out, I'd say this is on par with that. Dunno if the 15400s have got better since, they were pretty good at the time?!?

DC

Thanks - I'm torn!

kennycoder

Thanks for the review btw. I'm also pro quartz in watches with no seconds hand. It's indeed the way to go, especially with closed caseback.

_DC_
Thanks for the review btw. I'm also pro quartz in watches with no seconds hand. It's indeed the way to go, especially with closed caseback.

I won't lie, the purist in me would prefer a mechanical movement, but to maintain the integrity of the design the factory have taken the decision to go for aesthetic accuracy over movement, which I think is a good thing! If you can't have both it's better that it looks the part, for me at least!

DC

Frazzle

Thanks for a great review. I have a beautiful RG 15400,which I don't wear enough! It may be that I need to get a Jacob leather strap for it, but thats a whole other saga. In relation to the 15202, I think it wold be a perfect size for my wrist and the perfect AP on a bracelet for me! Sold......when I have the spare money! :)

jakethemouse

Great review. The AP looks so clean and sharp. My wallet tingling....must resist.

_DC_
Great review. The AP looks so clean and sharp. My wallet tingling....must resist.

Haha, resistance if futile, just buy it!!

DC

Godfathar

I won't lie, the purist in me would prefer a mechanical movement, but to maintain the integrity of the design the factory have taken the decision to go for aesthetic accuracy over movement, which I think is a good thing! If you can't have both it's better that it looks the part, for me at least!

DC

That thickness though! I would go for aesthetic accuracy any day over a movement. as long at it won't show the second hand ticking..

thanks for a lovely review.. it's a AA++ review as usual :P

I don't know if it has something to do with my age, but recently, in the past year I have been starting to change my preferences and liking smaller watches. used to love 45mm diameter, then went to 41, now this 39 is ridiculously beautiful. :thumbsup:

_DC_

DC

That thickness though! I would go for aesthetic accuracy any day over a movement. as long at it won't show the second hand ticking..

thanks for a lovely review.. it's a AA++ review as usual :P

I don't know if it has something to do with my age, but recently, in the past year I have been starting to change my preferences and liking smaller watches. used to love 45mm diameter, then went to 41, now this 39 is ridiculously beautiful. :thumbsup:

Between 37 and 40 is definitely a sweet spot, there's something very pleasing about receiving a watch and finding it's smaller than you imagined, I think it makes a watch more interesting and far more classy, regardless of wrist size!!!!

DC

bowtiefanatc

Ugh! Add this one to the ol wish list. I wasn't sure when I saw the pictures on Toro's site but man DC you blew them out of the water with your images! Totally agree with the fact that with no second hand quartz is the way to go. Plus if it dies...it's DIRT cheap to replace with another one. I do wish it was more in the $160 range but the fit and finish on this one looks absolutely beautiful.

strapviet

How much for the Patek Philippe, sir? Is it replica or gen?

_DC_

It's a replica, and it was about $290 if I recall, but if you're asking whether I'd sell it to you then you've got more chance of being struck by lightening while buying a winning lottery ticket!!

DC

corpious

Thank you so much for this review. This is the exact RO I was looking for and this rep seems excellent!

Just a question though,I've been looking at Torobravo's site but all I can't seem to find the 15202?

Kleen™

It's a replica, and it was about $290 if I recall, but if you're asking whether I'd sell it to you then you've got more chance of being struck by lightening while buying a winning lottery ticket!!

DC

Sounds like you're rather pleased with this latest addition, D....:)

_DC_

DC

I am, but this comment wasn't about the AP, he was asking me how much for the Patek Nautilus (I think)!

DC

Kleen™

DC

I am, but this comment wasn't about the AP, he was asking me how much for the Patek Nautilus (I think)!

DC

I (think I) got that part of it. Doesn't alter my statement, though...:)

Kwt

Hey DC, nice review man - is the battery easy to change on a quartz rep then? Does it take just normal watch batteries? And excuse my ignorance but isn't the close back a massive tell?

Edited by Kwt

Cleebeauregard

I know this is a little off topic, but given the AP lovers attracted to this thread, I figured it was as good a place as any to field this question:

Does anyone have any experience with the 15400 version made by the "new maker" that Toro is pitching as a special on his website for $208? It's hard to know just from the pictures, obviously, but it looks pretty damn good for about $150 less than the TF, JF, or V6F versions...

If anyone has purchased one of these, would love to hear your thoughts. Hell, for $208 bucks, I may get one just to check it out, lol.

Thanks all!

Cleebeauregard

Sorry,

I know this is a little off topic, but given the AP lovers attracted to this thread, I figured it was as good a place as any to field this question:

Does anyone have any experience with the 15400 version made by the "new maker" that Toro is pitching as a special on his website for $208? It's hard to know just from the pictures, obviously, but it looks pretty damn good for about $150 less than the TF, JF, or V6F versions...

If anyone has purchased one of these, would love to hear your thoughts. Hell, for $208 bucks, I may get one just to check it out, lol.

Thanks all!

Sorry, just realized I didn't include an important bit of information: it's a Miyota movement, with a stated thickness of 10mm--

Here's the link:

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1386

_DC_
Sorry,

Thanks all!

Sorry, just realized I didn't include an important bit of information: it's a Miyota movement, with a stated thickness of 10mm--

Here's the link:

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_49&product_id=1386

There's like a million 15400 threads you could have posted this in mate, that would have been far more appropriate!

DC

_DC_
Hey DC, nice review man - is the battery easy to change on a quartz rep then? Does it take just normal watch batteries? And excuse my ignorance but isn't the close back a massive tell?

Yeah standard watch/hearing aid battery, you unscrew the case back, whip it off, and boom the battery is there!

DC

Cleebeauregard
Sorry,

Thanks all!

Here's the link:

There's like a million 15400 threads you could have posted this in mate, that would have been far more appropriate!

DC

Forgive my faux pas, it's precisely because there are a million 15400 threads... I didn't know where the Hell to start. At least this was a currently active discussion on the RO.