Sign in to follow this  
richardm1142

One of those oh shit moments

richardm1142

Just changing over bracelet to (lovely) grey leather strap on my VC Overseas when I dropped one of the short, threaded pins that VC utilise for the strap / body connection.

Should be no problem, nice cloth to collect any dropped bits on table, can't see it.

Look over myself and clothing, can't see it.

No panic, stand up very slowly and look at clothing and floor, can't see it.

Use torch 5cm from carpet, eyes at ground level, sweep the carpet can't spot it.

Repeat all the above several times, can't spot it.

Plans for what to wear (horologicaly speaking) to formal dinner changed.

Anyone got a clue as to where one might be able to source a replacement?

tonyh7

I feel your pain. We've all been there. Not so much of a problem (easily replaceable) but the distance a springbar can fly is truly amazing. Good luck with the search/replacement.

Gazzla

Sweep area and clothes with magnet.

peteins

Yep, if you have one of those magnets on a extendable rod, use that in a grid pattern sweeping every cm of space at least 10m around you, as stated they can travel for miles the little bas**rds

Kcore

I feel for you, been there a few times myself. I now place a white non-fitted King Size bed sheet under my work table. Since the floor is carpeted, adding the sheet not only gives a clear view but adds to stop any bits bouncing.

Hope you find the part!

TheTinMan

As mentioned previously, us a magnet to sweep the area.

I feel for you. The literal needle in a haystack.

richardm1142

Having fended off the wifes wishes to hoover for a number of days and many, many more searches I have finally had to give in.

So plan B, anyone know where to find one of these cutesy little bars?

Different from both real VC Overseas and anything else I have come across. With the VC strap having two lugs on the "outside" and a central gap for the bracelet or strap. each about 1/3 of the full width.

The pins are each about 3/8 depth and are threaded at the "outer" end.

Anyone have a clue about sourcing? I've searched Ebay without success and as they are unlike the gen, or anything else I'm a little stumped as to where to go next.

porschespeedster

take a pic of the one you still have?

trailboss99

I feel your pain. We've all been there. Not so much of a problem (easily replaceable) but the distance a springbar can fly is truly amazing. Good luck with the search/replacement.

You read his post fully? VC don't use springbars, they are a threaded pin. Also, being stainless they are usually anti magnetic as well so forget the magnet.

UmpaHimself

You read his post fully? VC don't use springbars, they are a threaded pin.

:lmao: That's what I was thinking.

I screwed myself even worse the other day. I lost the tiny plastic pearl for the vintage Rolex bezel insert in my carpet. 100% gone instantly. Looked for 20 minutes with a super bright LED flashlight. Nowhere in sight. Nothing can help there, no magnet and it's transparent... :picard::picard2:

Kcore

You read his post fully? VC don't use springbars, they are a threaded pin.

:lmao: That's what I was thinking.

I screwed myself even worse the other day. I lost the tiny plastic pearl for the vintage Rolex bezel insert in my carpet. 100% gone instantly. Looked for 20 minutes with a super bright LED flashlight. Nowhere in sight. Nothing can help there, no magnet and it's transparent... :picard::picard2:

No such thing as NEVER and NOTHING CAN HELP! If the Iranians were able to piece back together cross cut shredded documents, then nothing is impossible.

Get out ur Hoover, install a total clean bag and go at that carpet. Layout a white bed sheet and dump the bag. Your lost pearl or screw will be found!

GenTLe

With a luminova pearl I would use the "dark room" way: enlight the carpet with a powerful lamp, then switch off all and see if you can see a tiny luminous spot on the carpet:)

JohnPilot

I must have spare parts from VC O. Let me know if you need sth-

insert-here

A cheap pair of reading glasses with 2.5 magnification or more helps a lot also. And a bright LED flashlight. Good Luck. It's still somewhere in this universe, could not have gone more than a few feet from where it was lost.

ByranM

Ouch, I've lost some tiny parts before as well, they can be a pain to track down if you weren't working at a desk.

richardm1142

Well firstly apologies for the crap picture, but here is the article that I (taking full personal responsibility for being a prick) lost and need to replace.

23576692339_ca862cbe0d_h.jpg

The pin is about 11mm long in total, 1mm cap for screwdriver slot, 2mm of thread (type unknown) diameter according to my cheapo caliper 1.17mm.

Any assistance and suggestions in sourcing gratefully accepted.

Going through the vacuum bag, done that before without success, gonna nae dae tha agin.

Phantomtech

Lets see some photos of the leather strap at least!