Sign in to follow this  
MA123

Help please! - chronograph misaligned - secondhand not resetting to 12 o'clock

MA123

Hi all, I have a seamaster PO chronograph rep with a microstepper quartz movement.

As with many common chronograph functions, the main second hand should align at 12 o'clock and only starts 'ticking' when you press the start/stop button, and then should reset to 12 o'clock when you press the reset button.

The problem i have is that the main second hand is currently resetting at 59 seconds, rather than 12 o'clock (ie, it is misaligned by 1 second).

I owned a similar quartz chronograph previously, and it was rather simple to reset. I simply had to pull out the crown and depress the start/stop buttons to shift the second hand back into position. However, with this particular watch, this solution does not work. When i pull out the crown to the time or date reset position and press the start/stop/reset buttons nothing happens. Ive even tried pressing both buttons together, but again this has no influence on either the main second hand nor the sub dials.

I thought this might be a common problem and have searched the forum and google but the only possible solutions ive found are to pull out the crown and reset using the various buttons...unfortunately this doesnt work with this particular quartz movement.

Any ideas on how to fix this?? Any help would be much appreciated.

Genius

Open the caseback and look for the movement model number. Then Google movement model number + user guide. Follow the instructions in the guide to reset the chrono

MA123

Thanks - however, still no joy!

The description on the movement states that its a japanese SII O UK63A.

I cant find a user guide for this particular spec. (Ive been able to find guides for similar models which advise you to pull out the crown and then hold the buttons down for 2 secs to enter a recalibration mode - these are all methods which ive already tried but dont work!).

GenTLe

SII = Seiko Instruments Inc. (http://www.sii.co.jp/en/)

But these are probably those built on license, so not easy to find anything around...

Kcore

Take a look at this YouTube. It's a " generic" method of resetting chrono hands on most Swiss & Japanese Quartz chronos. I've used it with success on a variety of chrono movt incl Asian clones.

Kleen™
Take a look at this YouTube. It's a " generic" method of resetting chrono hands on most Swiss & Japanese Quartz chronos. I've used it with success on a variety of chrono movt incl Asian clones.

^ this.

the_frenchman

WRONG LINK....STIL SEARCHING AROUND

i think you have a Seiko VK 63 and not U 63 .....

This are very good quartz movement and for some reason you have proably set the hand manually in that place. Reading at the instructions shows you how to manually set the second hand in the place you want it to be @12.

Good luck

Edited by the_frenchman

MA123

The method shown in the youtube clip is what i'm used to from my previous chronos - this approach has worked with great success in my other watches......however, this method does not work on this particular watch!! Its very frustrating!

When i pull out the crown and press the buttons (as suggested in the clip), the chrono operates exactly as it would if the crown was in - ie, it doesnt enter recalibration mode, it just starts/stops as normal. Even if i press and hold both buttons for 2secs (as required in certain models) it still doesnt allow me to realign the second hand.

I cant seem to find any obvious combination to put the watch into recalibration mode.

There must be a simple way to do this, but its certainly not obvious, and isnt similar the more common methods.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

GenTLe

In my view there is a problem in the contact that gets closed or open when you pull the stem.

Probably this is the reason the standard way doesn't work: it is like if it thinks to be in standard running mode and not in the setting mode...