Sign in to follow this  
preventy0

Questions about the Japanese OS20 Quartz

preventy0

Hello all,

I have a few questions about the Japanese OS20 Quartz movement.

1) What does it mean by "ticking". Does that mean that you can actually hear it tick every time it moves one second? If so, how loud is the ticking?

2) How reliable is the movement? I've heard from some people that it has some issues. Any that I should be aware of?

3) Does the watch make a digital noise when you activate the chrono?

Thanks!!

Edited by preventy0

RUSH2112

Typically it isn't real easy to hear ticking unless your ear is right next to watch or you are in a very quiet environment.

preventy0

Typically it isn't real easy to hear ticking unless your ear is right next to watch or you are in a very quiet environment.

Ahh okay, would you happen to know if the watch makes a digital "click" noise when the timer is activated?

RUSH2112

Ahh okay, would you happen to know if the watch makes a digital "click" noise when the timer is activated?

My fossil is Japanese Quartz chrono and I don't hear anything when activating it at all.

greg_r

The reference to 'ticking' means that the second hand moves once per second rather than sweeping smoothly as it would if it was an automatic (usually either 6 or 8 'beats' per second).

They are reliable, yes.

preventy0

The reference to 'ticking' means that the second hand moves once per second rather than sweeping smoothly as it would if it was an automatic (usually either 6 or 8 'beats' per second).

They are reliable, yes.

Sorry if I sound annoying but is it a huge difference between the automatic or is it a small difference?

greg_r

Given that the majority of high-quality gens use automatic movements, then yes the difference is generally large. The majority of quartz reps are cheapies - and the quality is accordingly lower.

Sounds like you need to do a LOT more reading before you go any further. Start with the topics linked from "READ THIS" in my sig.

GenTLe

Hello all,

1) What does it mean by "ticking". Does that mean that you can actually hear it tick every time it moves one second? If so, how loud is the ticking?

2) How reliable is the movement? I've heard from some people that it has some issues. Any that I should be aware of?

Thanks!!

1: look here the running second subdial at 6. That movement on the hand means it's "ticking" (1 movement each second, vs 8 for the 28.8kBPH mechanical ones)

Being the OS20 a microstepper the chrono hand (in the video you can see it from 1:42) instead moves more similarly to a mechanical watch.

For your understanding, a 28.800BPH beats this way. Here a sec @9 one:

2) it is reliable, one of the most used ones

3) you can't hear nearly nothing unless you press it on your hear.

preventy0

Hello all,

Thanks!!

1: look here the running second subdial at 6. That movement on the hand means it's "ticking" (1 movement each second, vs 8 for the 28.8kBPH mechanical ones)

Being the OS20 a microstepper the chrono hand (in the video you can see it from 1:42) instead moves more similarly to a mechanical watch.

For your understanding, a 28.800BPH beats this way. Here a sec @9 one:

2) it is reliable, one of the most used ones

3) you can't hear nearly nothing unless you press it on your hear.

Thanks!!!