Sign in to follow this  
cterblan

Movement Question

cterblan

Hi Guys,

Still kind of new around here, but getting more and more experience.

One question I have about the movements - what is the average lifespan? How long do they last if well taken care of?

Are some movements better than others for durability?

Any info or insight that you have experienced would be great.

Thanks.

greg_r

the better quality movements will last as long as a gen - provided they're serviced when they need it.

My oldest rep is 15-16 years old. I have several in the 5-8 years region.

GenTLe

Hi Guys,

Still kind of new around here, but getting more and more experience.

One question I have about the movements - what is the average lifespan? How long do they last if well taken care of?

Are some movements better than others for durability?

Any info or insight that you have experienced would be great.

Thanks.

1) It depends (a lot!) on the movement... The ETA clones like asian 2824, 2836 (not modified) most likely will stand fine for years, especially if serviced in order to reassembly them clean and properly oiled. Same for the genuine Miyotas (9015 or 8215).

7750/7753 (sec @9) are similar but, being made by many more components, are more delicate, and they also need service to preserve their functionality because they are in general poorly oiled.

The chinese 21j/23j are the base movements. They are also workhorses, and in my opinion they also deserve a service: someone may say that being them cheap, it's easier to just replace them. But if the replaced one is not properly oiled the advantages are limited...

2) generally speaking the not modified movements are the best. There are 7750 movements that have been modified to move the running second from 9 (which is their original design) to 12 (like for the AP Royal Oak Offshore chrono), to 6 (like for the Portuguese) or to 3 (like for Breitling Blackbird), and they have been modified in a idiotic way: instead to keep the running second transfer gears short and jeweled, they did that for the hour/minutes transfer gears and put 5 (five!!) gears to move the position of the running second subdial. One of these gears not being jeweled at all. These movement should not be used as daily watches because at a certain point they will fail due to the friction increase...

MA123

The lifespan and time required between services also very much depends on how often the watch is 'running'. If the watch is idle for periods as you rotate your watch collection then clearly there is less wear and tear on the movement than if you wear it everyday! Worth giving each watch a decent run fairly regularly though to keep everything lubricated.

Cobradan123

Hi there ! I like yourself am a rookie however things I have read suggest some Chinese copies are better than others as in they can be the same movement but one will easily break and one will last. However I think the cloned movements are good and reliable.

ETA genuine are rather expensive !

cterblan

Thanks guys good info. I have had a 7750 and it has worked well for years.

What is the method for servicing and oiling them?

Kernow
Thanks guys good info. I have had a 7750 and it has worked well for years.

What is the method for servicing and oiling them?

Send them to a knowledgeable watchsmith is generally the preferred option.