Sign in to follow this  
dhebard1

imperfections with my first rep (Seamaster) - fixable?

Daywatch

Chalk it up to QC pic lesson learned and flip it on m2m is what I would do.

This+1

While it´s a rep etc. it does have visible flaws. As reviewed here: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=63221 for this model both TD and Buyer need to be a bit nitpicky on the qc-issues. Fixing it would easily outrun $300 ($90 dial $90 crystal $90 service $30 posting) and each of these items may easily run out of hand. It´s not good enough of a base watch to run into these expenses.

1. Research well and long for the next one to get: which factory/model/ are there typical issues/problems; 2. Take Your business to another TD

There are dozens of extremely well made and solid reps out there, if they where like this I´d have given up long ago. If You like the kind of watch I´d suggest the AP Diver V7 as You deserve it.

Not perfect compared to gen but very consistent in itself and very agreeable to use: Seamaster 300 Coax $268 plus shipping

IMG_6865_zpsv5fethyt.jpg

Close up of a very well made Steelfish imho, just to show that things may very well be right

Br_1083c_zpse335c8c4.jpg

dhebard1

I could think of far worse qc issues to find on arrival..

$400? Sounds expensive. Let me guess, you bought a swiss movement.

yep! :-)

dhebard1

The flaws can mostly be fixed. I have the same, albeit 50th Anniversary, watch. My insert was misaligned so I removed and reseated it. Just pop the bezel off and remove the insert. It's possible that the crystal could be removed and new AR applied. When it's reseated use a new gasket - 2 problems solved. The dial is a bit more difficult, so maybe try to find a replacement. Anyway, enjoy the watch.

thanks man - i'll see if i feel brave enough to deal with the bezel alignment on my own. i'm actually pretty handy but watches are not something i've delved into on that level yet.

-d

dhebard1

Chalk it up to QC pic lesson learned and flip it on m2m is what I would do.

This+1

While it´s a rep etc. it does have visible flaws. As reviewed here: http://www.rwg.bz/bo...showtopic=63221 for this model both TD and Buyer need to be a bit nitpicky on the qc-issues. Fixing it would easily outrun $300 ($90 dial $90 crystal $90 service $30 posting) and each of these items may easily run out of hand. It´s not good enough of a base watch to run into these expenses.

1. Research well and long for the next one to get: which factory/model/ are there typical issues/problems; 2. Take Your business to another TD

There are dozens of extremely well made and solid reps out there, if they where like this I´d have given up long ago. If You like the kind of watch I´d suggest the AP Diver V7 as You deserve it.

Not perfect compared to gen but very consistent in itself and very agreeable to use: Seamaster 300 Coax $268 plus shipping

IMG_6865_zpsv5fethyt.jpg

Close up of a very well made Steelfish imho, just to show that things may very well be right

Br_1083c_zpse335c8c4.jpg

wow those are both amazing looking!

and thanks for the supportive post - it's appreciated. i've read enough on here and other forums to know that there are great rep finds to be had out there - too bad my first one was not one of them, but even with it's flaws it's still a pretty cool piece of kit if you don't look too close! ;-)

-d

MA123

you might as well just flip it and consider getting a second hand gen if you want it to be flawless.

Regarding the bezel, this vid on youtube makes it look easy to take the bezel off and put back on straight - he does it in less than 2mins!!:

The video shows a bezel being replaced on a submariner - i assume it would be the same process on an omega? but not sure.

JSJ
you might as well just flip it and consider getting a second hand gen if you want it to be flawless.

Regarding the bezel, this vid on youtube makes it look easy to take the bezel off and put back on straight - he does it in less than 2mins!!:

The video shows a bezel being replaced on a submariner - i assume it would be the same process on an omega? but not sure.

That video should be called 'how to break the ceramic insert on your bezel whilst probably scratching the case and bending the bezel' :giggle:. I don't know Rollies well but his doesn't look like a ceramic insert. Much less brittle therefore.

I've done this on two 'identical' BP CrPOs. One bezel popped off exactly as the vid. The other was a right bugger.

the_frenchman

This video is not reliable.... Plus the bezel is not ceramic..... Plus the guy on the video doesnt care a fuck about scratching the case without putting some protective tape on the sides... Plus the OP says that the issue is on the crystal that doesnt seat properly.... Will this solve the issue? I dont know im not an expert.

But instead of trying to be macgyver with my first rep without having a lot of experience..... I will flip it out and try better luck for the next one

Edited by the_frenchman

Duzza

You state you spent a long time researching reps before buying this, your first piece. Yet you ended up buying a 'swiss' movement??

dhebard1

wow thanks SO much for the YouTube link man! that does not look to hard - i'll give that a try! :-)

That video should be called 'how to break the ceramic insert on your bezel whilst probably scratching the case and bending the bezel' :giggle:. I don't know Rollies well but his doesn't look like a ceramic insert. Much less brittle therefore.

I've done this on two 'identical' BP CrPOs. One bezel popped off exactly as the vid. The other was a right bugger.

oh ok, will proceed with great caution then...

-d

dhebard1

This video is not reliable.... Plus the bezel is not ceramic..... Plus the guy on the video doesnt care a fuck about scratching the case without putting some protective tape on the sides... Plus the OP says that the issue is on the crystal that doesnt seat properly.... Will this solve the issue? I dont know im not an expert.

But instead of trying to be macgyver with my first rep without having a lot of experience..... I will flip it out and try better luck for the next one

ya now that i actually LOOK at the video - maybe not the way to go after all.

but for clarity there were separate issues with the bezel - yes, the crystal issue (which this would not address) but also the numbers not lining up with the indentations on the outer bezel ring was something i posted on - so this might address that part at least, IF i were to chance it...

-d

dhebard1

You state you spent a long time researching reps before buying this, your first piece. Yet you ended up buying a 'swiss' movement??

i did indeed - however i don't claim to have all the answers or to have read every bit of information out there - hence joining this forum to learn more. :-)

-d