Sign in to follow this  
Vlado_V

Fraud by RWG member gvln68 - Panerai PAM 113

Vlado_V

Dear all.

let me tell how I was scammed by RWG member gvln68 on Ebay.

Firstly let me introduce myself: My name is Vladimir, I live in Sofia Bulgaria.

Being watch fan for many years I have owned following time pieces: Longines Breitling Colt Chronograph Ball Trainmaster World time chronograph IWC Aquatimer Zenith Defy Extreme Breitling Colt Aeromarine Beritling Chronomat Breitling Monbriliant Zenith Rainbow Zenith Stratos Spindrift Panerai PAM104 Perrelet

Nowadays my collection is IWC, Seiko Astron and U-boat watch.

In the begging of 2016 I have decided to make myself a present, of course a watch again :).

I was looking for white dial Panerai Luminor Marina ( PAM 113 or PAM 114 ) and I found following auction on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.u...8c597f162c&cp=1

I have contacted seller asking him to agree on pricing and we did it. We had a discussion on email, his mail is: [email protected]

He confirmed that watch is authentic, although documents and box were missing. Taking in account that I'm not so experienced I didn't spot the small differences in the mechanism between very good replica and original PAM OP XI. I paid via Paypal, gvln68 ( Leo ) sent me via post service.

Once I received it I started exploring it - it was looking amazing. It is my practice to check every watch I'm buying with official watch service, especially when documentation is missing, so I went to local Sofia Panerai representative office and they recommend me to go to realible service center. I went and after checking they have confirmed, that watch is very good replica, but not Authentic one as gvln68 stated.

I wrote a mail to gvln68, his respond was: "bool shit, and you DO know it well. i will tell you the Sun is smaller than earth<What do you think?"

So I asked him to refund the amount and I'll send back his watch, but he didn't respond. I escalated claim on Paypal and now waiting for their decision.

So in general I would like to share with you, that even some member who are very active in SCAM notification are doing the same on internet, which is not fair in my opinion. I can fully defend my statement if needed, by attaching communication between me and gvln68, but be aware of this guy!

nigeve

If this is true, then it is quite shameful. And on the face of it Vlado_V appears to have no reason to make this up.

I find this sort of thing very disappointing...

BaggyPants

But you actually believed that someone was selling a genuine Panerai 113 with a starting bid that low? The guy is obviously a scammer, but you need to research stuff like that on eBay.

narikaa

Intriguing 1st post

and a beguiling introduction

Some indication of how you correlate this RWG member with being the eBay seller might lend credence to your tale

greg_r

We will be making enquires of the member concerned.

MetalMickey

Not so clear this is really an RWG member, but would be interesting to see how you made the link.

I'll repeat what others have said - nobody would ever sell a genuine Panerai on eBay, and certainly not at that price.

And if you go outside eBay and make deals in private, you tend to get what you deserve - as an experienced seller I would never, ever, negotiate prices except by bidding or best offering, it's a recipe for disaster.

Sorry to hear of your experience and hope that eBay/PayPal can make good for you but hope you've learned a valuable lesson.

greg_r

Thread locked while we investigate

greg_r

We've been unable to get any response from gvln68 on this matter, but the evidence is fairly overwhelming - and it appears that this is not the first time he's been caught selling reps as gen either.

As of this morning, he's been banned. Thanks to the OP for alerting us.

the_frenchman
We've been unable to get any response from gvln68 on this matter, but the evidence is fairly overwhelming - and it appears that this is not the first time he's been caught selling reps as gen either.

As of this morning, he's been banned. Thanks to the OP for alerting us.

Thanks greg for protect our members and feel really sorry for OP

rawbaws

Yep. This is what gives reps a bad name..

black263

Yep. This is what gives reps a bad name..

Unfortunately, as we get better and better super-reps, the temptation to defraud becomes ever stronger. I now would never buy a gen without having it checked for authenticity, even from a seller on here. And it's really sad that I should feel that way.

greg_r

Interesting that when you do an RWG site search on google using his username

https://www.google.c...NJomv-QHy2JqoAg

Looks like all his posts are reporting fake PAMs on ebay! Seems he was trying to get rid of the competition :o

Yes, bizarre isn't it?

Vlado_V

But you actually believed that someone was selling a genuine Panerai 113 with a starting bid that low? The guy is obviously a scammer, but you need to research stuff like that on eBay.

Hi, actually the price I've paid is not low. We had a discussion, where I've asked him whether watch is authentic and he confirmed. And honestly I bought me ex Pam 104 on Ebay by France and everything was perfect, including communication with seller. I had a good deal for Breitling Chronomat B01 on Ebay as well. So in general there are many honest sellers on Ebay, but many who are cheating as well. I'll consider this issue as a lesson.

Wriggles

Interesting that when you do an RWG site search on google using his username

https://www.google.c...NJomv-QHy2JqoAg

Looks like all his posts are reporting fake PAMs on ebay! Seems he was trying to get rid of the competition :o

Or scoping out the waters to see how easy it might be to fool people, or learn what mistakes to avoid to ensure a greater air of authenticity to the advert

deju

This is the kind of thing that brings a bad taste to our hobby.

Sorry to hear you have fallen foul of this scam OP, was he a member of RWI also?

It's just the lads on RWI love to destroy scammers!

nunu78
This is the kind of thing that brings a bad taste to our hobby.

Sorry to hear you have fallen foul of this scam OP, was he a member of RWI also?

It's just the lads on RWI love to destroy scammers!

Oh yes they love to do so.

black263

Since he lives in UK also, go to see Mr Plod the policeman, and tell them that this scumbag has defrauded you by taking your money and supplying a counterfeit. It's an easy prosecution for them and will give him what he deserves.

MetalMickey

The offence is 'Fraud by False Representation' and it should be reported here:

http://www.actionfra...uk/report_fraud

[edit] except seller does not appear to live in the UK after all if that address is anything to go buy

emsacl

Why not pursue this through Ebay? I believe that they can assist here. Click on eBay Money Back Guarantee, which provides protection from counterfeit items. It would be a good idea to stop fraudsters from accessing the mediums through which they commit fraud.

MetalMickey

Why not pursue this through Ebay? I believe that they can assist here. Click on eBay Money Back Guarantee, which provides protection from counterfeit items. It would be a good idea to stop fraudsters from accessing the mediums through which they commit fraud.

OP says he communicated and agreed a price outside of eBay but bought with PayPal.

NFleischer

Should be tarred and feathered!

emsacl

I see that there are some valuable lessons here on how to buy watches on the internet from unknown persons. Sometimes it is worth it to use a service, such as Ebay, just to have the protection. The red flags questioning the authenticity of this watch were there. It is up to the prudent buyer to take steps to ensure that they get what they pay for. Fortunately, services, such as VISA, Paypal and Ebay all have mechanisms to seek redress.

MetalMickey

Yep, I would never buy an expensive genuine watch from eBay, there are plenty of 'legit' places to do so, and if I was spending thousands on a watch I'd either want to see it first or buy it from a reputable dealer so be safeguarded re: authenticity etc.

That does not detract from the fact this seller is a scum bag.