Sign in to follow this  
Bysantinkeisari

Replicas, reindeer and reckless engineering - Cheers from Finland

Bysantinkeisari

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around replica forums for the past couple of weeks now looking for info on how to acquire a proper replica and what to look out for. Before I found these forums I put together a rather impressive wishlist of watches in AliExpress, but was unsure whether or not you actually get a proper watch from those sellers or am I just getting scammed. Thank you Google for lighting the path to these forums :notworthy:

After finding the TD sections, mainly RWI's TD of the year -thread, it was a breeze to shop around for the one.

The one in this case being the Panerai 441 Ceramica. An incredibly sexy, murdered out assassins tool, at least when I find a fitting (matt)black steel bracelet for it, to match it to the looks of PAM438. If you can think of one from the top of your head - please share! If I can't find a nice bracelet, I'll get the standard black rubber straps for starters. Not that the leather ones are not nice!

Panerai-Tuttonero-Luminor-1950-PAM-438-bracelet-For-Sale-Govberg-via-Perpetuelle.jpg

For myself, I'm a mechanical engineer travelling the world over, about 250 days a year give or take, to build power plants and ships - the engines are my thing. Watches are delicate and amazing in their precision engineering - you don't fix them with a 10lb sledgehammer like my lovemachines.

I'm currently in Indonesia and soon relocating to Singapore. If anyone has any good tips for rep-shopping in Singapore, please shout out!

Motorcycles are also close to my heart, especially Cafe Racers. If I ever find the time to build one, I will make it a watch inspired one. Think of a Moto Guzzi making love to a Panerai or two! :wanker:

For all the Canadian readers: I can talk hockey 24/7/365!

I'll also post my current work horse for good measure. I'm amazed how the sapphire crystal is holding up! This badboy has been on my wrist for two years and has seen A LOT of bangs and crashes while at work on my engines and not a single scratch on the sapphire. Truly amazing.

24255355409_5b0f1835f4_c.jpg

Cheers guys for a good forum. I look forward to learning more from you all!

Niko

Bysantinkeisari

Aaaand now I'm having trouble with Western Union. The recipient cannot withdraw the money and customer service is telling me everything is fine and telling the recipient to try another office.

We'll see how this plays out. I want my PAM441 so bad!

greg_r

Welcome to RWG. Hope you get the WU problem sorted out!

Gazzla

Finland you say?

:popcorn:

trailboss99

Welcome! So you get work on really, really big engines? Cool! Few places are more interesting than a ship's engine room, so much cool engineering and it's all big. We will want pics now :)

Finland you say?

:popcorn:

Na, leave it.

Simms

Welcome to RWG. What an interesting line of work you're in and Hockey connoisseur to boot!

There is so much info available on this board, please take some (a lot) of time and read, read, read. Whatever watch you're interested in buying, multiple reviews are probably available. If it's Panerai that you like, make sure to read ALE's guide, more like an encyclopedia really when you consider the sheer volume of info packed into that thing. He has a review of all REPPED Panerai's available on the market with ratings.

Congratulations on Finlands gold in the world juniors by the way! In my opinion, that's the best hockey around. Players are still creative and prone to making mistakes which makes for action every second of the game. I can't help but notice Teemu in your profile pic; I always had huge respect for that player (except when he played against my team of course)

Bysantinkeisari

I think I need some context for that Finland reference Gazzla, or am I better off not knowing? :)

Simms, I've seen ALE's guide and it's quite a bit to take in! But of course that seems to be the go-to source for Panerai info. Definite must read.

The juniors is such an awesome tournament, and to win it on home ice in overtime? Phew! I almost had a heart attack.

BadPickle
Welcome! So you get work on really, really big engines? Cool! Few places are more interesting than a ship's engine room, so much cool engineering and it's all big. We will want pics now :)

Oh yes!! Pics please!! Lots and lots and lots of engine pics!!!

you seem a little more savvy than the average dullard who stumbles through the door here and I think you'll fit right in :D

Welcome aboard :thumbsup:

RichardMiami

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to visit the engine room on Majesty of the Seas....

this is BIG:

MJ%20July%2028-29%202007%20%20%20095_zpsfuhumdoi.jpg

MJ%20July%2028-29%202007%20%20%20096_zps2tjdcbxj.jpg

Engine room contols (not my home office!):

MJ%20July%2028-29%202007%20%20%20090_zpsoicsr4pl.jpg

Daywatch

Hi and welcome. Another vote for engine pics:) Yes engines, in detail and the bigger the better.

All members from Singapore are getting the reps from the same places we get them. Have fun around.

trailboss99

Well Richard those are largish I suppose but this is big:

worlds-largest-engine.jpg

:wub:

Mind you I suspect that a 14RT-flex96C would be closer to our new guy's heart, yes?

Bysantinkeisari

Great pics guys! And both engines are built by my company if I'm not mistaken, the Sulzer definitely is.

I don't have a lot of pics on my phone, but this one is from a previous project and shows the scale nicely (1 out of 38 installed!) Still nothing compared to trailboss'a Sulzer!

ecc10b59ca136312b338ce99730063cf.jpg

elp

Welcome!

:rofl: at the threesome between a Moto Guzzi and 2 Panerais

Bysantinkeisari

Mind you I suspect that a 14RT-flex96C would be closer to our new guy's heart, yes?

You are quite correct sir.

Though a tad on the large side. I'm mostly fiddling with the mid-speed class!

trailboss99

Truly the mother of all IC engines. 5 million pounds in weight and 5.6 million foot pounds of torque @102 RPM, a life of potentially millions of miles and it will probably never get an oil change.

Stealthking

Hi guys,

I've been lurking around replica forums for the past couple of weeks now looking for info on how to acquire a proper replica and what to look out for. Before I found these forums I put together a rather impressive wishlist of watches in AliExpress, but was unsure whether or not you actually get a proper watch from those sellers or am I just getting scammed. Thank you Google for lighting the path to these forums :notworthy:

Niko

Arghhhh ALIEXPRESS.....Have looked at some of the Aliexpress watches, but sadly sellers there do not post pictures of the exact item you will be getting. Even when they do post pictures that are not out of a brochure and you ask them to send you some real pics of the items, they send you pictures that slightly differ from the one being advertised. Most are quite unethical with their dealings.

Their safety net with Aliexpress is that there is a clause that you have to pay for return postage, then they will refund the purchase price which often means you're out of pocket $50 thus they just offer you a discount of US$10 to accept the garbage they sent you. Even when clearly the item sent differs from their advertised pictures, Aliexpress themselves will mediate in favour of the seller and you kinda get left holding a piece of garbage with a $10 discount... LOL.

Incidentally, does anyone here know of any seller on Aliexpress with quality goods...?

Sakurai

Great introduction, welcome to the forum!

And yes, we do need pics of those engines - proper dream job you got there.

Bysantinkeisari

Cheers guys,

My first order was not as smooth of a ride as expected. Not due to the TD, but western union. Somehow the TD was unable to collect the cash I transferred. Must've been something with WU systems - the user interface on their website was not really confidence inspiring to begin with.

I cancelled the transfer and just mailed the TD. We'll try again, but this has given me a little time to reconsider my choice of first rep.

Maybe a 605! Hoooo Mama!

126d6481160dce1d5b68d560d343dba7.jpg

trailboss99

Mate forget using WU on line. On line payments hardly ever go thu (on line seems to have more checks and balances built in) but take it to a WU agent and pay cash and it passes no worries as long as all the details are correct.

Chavezzito

Just take your time...you might as well do a lot of reading now that Chinese Ney Year is upon us so nothing will leave for about a month.

Welcome from Sweden by the way...this was one of the best introductions I´ve seen on this forum!

GenTLe

Uhm, big engines, moto Guzzi and cafè racers, a lot of travelling and watches.

I like that :)

Cheers from 40km from Mandello del Lario (Guzzi historical farm).

Bysantinkeisari
Uhm, big engines, moto Guzzi and cafè racers, a lot of travelling and watches.

I like that :)

Cheers from 40km from Mandello del Lario (Guzzi historical farm).

I just googled Mandello del Lario, and holy shitballs do you have some fine landscape over there! I've decided to do a motorcycle run around the Alps in the next few years. Maybe this is one stop on the way! I mean really, check this out:

86b906f8f5af5cf7ba1d57631268bf4c.jpg

My neighborhood is known for its flatness. For comparison:

0231f5a261f02c56184d6bd7f785ab18.jpg

And to stay on the topic of replicas, I purchased my first Panerai today from a very good seller @MNaji89 he was pro all the way, even with my noob questions.

The watch in question being:

05e9a1463e026604d621e99b5cc33227.jpg

Three weeks until my vacation and then I'll get my hands on that beauty.

Cheers all for your kind comments!

GenTLe

I just googled Mandello del Lario, and holy shitballs do you have some fine landscape over there! I've decided to do a motorcycle run around the Alps in the next few years. Maybe this is one stop on the way! I mean really, check this out:

86b906f8f5af5cf7ba1d57631268bf4c.jpg

Yes, it is nice, not by case that Mr. Clooney (the actor) has his villa 10 km from there on the same lake :)

And in the near lakes there are houses of Di Caprio, Ricky Martin etc...

But for the bike the real paradise on earth is Sardinia Island in May, in summer there are many tourists, but in May it is empty, flourished, wild and it is in all aspects an open track with an asphalt that has such a grip that is unbelievable!

Look here:

507989668-sardegna-costa-a-scogliera-fioritura-fiore.jpg

102852-1.jpg

And just one of the good streets (the old SS125) as you find it in spring:

This year I will put new tyres on my TL1000 and will start to ride again. I miss (rain apart...) when I went alone up to Stockholm ;)

TheTinMan

If you want to talk hockey, I can talk mining equipment and one of your Finnish companies, Metso Minerals. I worked for them quite a few years ago. Met some good people in that company, the Finns were great to work with. One thing I never understood though, is why you Finns moved to Canada and set up towns to look exactly like the ones you had back home.

Bysantinkeisari

If you want to talk hockey, I can talk mining equipment and one of your Finnish companies, Metso Minerals. I worked for them quite a few years ago. Met some good people in that company, the Finns were great to work with. One thing I never understood though, is why you Finns moved to Canada and set up towns to look exactly like the ones you had back home.

Metso is a big company in Finland, there is also a joint venture on going in bioenergy between my company and Metso.

I think if a bunch of people leave home to relocate thousands of miles away, you don't want to waste energy in re-inventing home building. The German towns are also very distinguishable, I think that is just up to German efficiency. The biggest finnish communities settled in Minnesota, and today the Minnesota Wild NHL team has the most finnish players of any NHL team. Go figure.

I have a friend who used to work for Sandvik and Tamrock, that is some tough equipment.