Sign in to follow this  
fatarms

Public Service Announcement about rep RubberB straps

fatarms

I just spent two fucking hours, not exaggerating, two fucking hours trying to get one of these replica RubberB straps onto a sub. I got a blue one from ebay for about $50 with the intent of replacing the garbage bracelet on my 16613 rep, so it didn't come from a TD. It's crappy, cheap silicone that is soft to the touch, but very easy to tear. The problem is with the way they fit to the sub case, there's a plastic insert for the spring bar tube inside the strap. I shaved it down many times, but could never get the tube to line up with the holes for the spring bar in the lugs. I went through 3 springbars on one end trying to get the job done, but never would stay in place. The minute you flexed the band in any direction, the bars disengaged from the holes because of the insert and where it is in respect to the case, it always pushed out. THe holes are drilled deep enough, they hold well on their own, I made sure and tested with multiple bars. I just gave up.

DON'T BUY THESE FROM EBAY!!

MetalMickey

Sounds similar to the joyful experience that is trying to get the bracelet on and off the Black Bay. Even my local watch shop couldn't do it with the proper tools. Maybe it fits a genuine sub perfectly...

cufflink

The BB bracelet is a nightmare to remove. I didn't try putting it back because I never managed to remove it..

watchsean7

Yes, as I mentioned in another post. They are a nighmare with the new sub and gmt. They fit the older stuff and sea dwellers much better.

thorn697

Sounds similar to the joyful experience that is trying to get the bracelet on and off the Black Bay. Even my local watch shop couldn't do it with the proper tools. Maybe it fits a genuine sub perfectly...

Ran into the same problem. The secret tool for all metal bands is a thumbtack. You'll be amazed when you can change it out in less than a minute.

Abe Fromen

I have a thread about what a PITA installation is.

I found that drilling out the channel for the spring bars and bending (or using bent) spring bars will make it fit.

processengr

Ran into the same problem. The secret tool for all metal bands is a thumbtack. You'll be amazed when you can change it out in less than a minute.

A Thumbtack? Could you describe a bit more? I too, have struggled with the BB bracelet.

thorn697

A Thumbtack? Could you describe a bit more? I too, have struggled with the BB bracelet.

Here is a great link that includes a video

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f23/how-remove-tudor-pelagos-endlink-60-seconds-less-936031.html

Gmtaddict

I agree, these are nasty little beasts. The only way I managed to do it is use 21mm (instead of 20mm) bars and 'curve' them a little bit with pliers.

UmpaHimself

I can only imagine the frustration during that process and the fact that you never got it to work. Been there before myself

Lagger

Not wanting to state the obvious, but I got one of these and it was made for the ym and it fitted on mine no bother.........I'm sure the gen ones do separate types for the ceramic and older sub.......these reps might be for the latter

Foxindebox

It's funny, the more expensive Rubber B reps seem to be a bit of a ball ache to fit (from some of the posts I have read). I've bought a few on Ali for about £7 a pop and they go on a treat. Nice and soft and smell of vanilla, you can't go wrong.

Khronos

I just read an article yesterday and it was some guy bitching about not being able to mount the original Nato strap that comes with the gen Black bay. They could only do it at the AD's, because you need a special Rolex made tool to do that. I'm not claiming it is in fact so, it's what he wrote in the article.

processengr

Here is a great link that includes a video

http://forums.watchu...ess-936031.html

Thank you so much!!!

Olly the twat

Haha ! This post just made my day ! I recently got one off ebay also, absolute nightmare to fit, the holes don't line up, its almost as if you have to force the strap on but then i worry about the spring bar failing. Glad I'm not the only one Hahaha ;)

onionbag

Try a BR02...........I had to have a shower after the last one I did.............soaking in sweat I was. :lol:

GenTLe

Or try the Hamilton Ventura XXL one... Never swore so much on a watch before...

Nikola Tesla

Or try the Hamilton Ventura XXL one... Never swore so much on a watch before...

Same goes for this little mother fucker ...

Accutron%20wrist%20shot.jpg

Gen watch, gen strap, four fucking hours of pain and suffering to install.

Cheers!

T-

watchsean7

Just a tip!! I have had MANY (4) Rubber B straps. Both from ebay (they are 20 dollars there, FYI) and members here.

The rep-Rubber B straps DO NOT FIT the new subs/GMTs. They fit the old (non ceramic subs, etc. They also fit sea dwellers, etc) there is a spacing thing with them.

The place where I buy them states, "do not use them for subs". They fit explorers, sea dwellers, old GMTs, I think daytonas, etc. etc. Because of that EXACT reason you described.

And when you try to shave them, its like a tire... there are these cheap metal wires, that keep the rubber B in place. (or whatever) But yes.. the bands are great IMO for the money, but only for certain watches.

Not wanting to state the obvious, but I got one of these and it was made for the ym and it fitted on mine no bother.........I'm sure the gen ones do separate types for the ceramic and older sub.......these reps might be for the latter

You are exactly correct. I tried to write it up, quick and dirty, but you are exactly correct.

Edited by watchsean7