Sign in to follow this  
frakius

Went to a watch retailer, disappointed and impressed.

frakius

Well I went to a watch dealer today (I wore my Deep Blue), having never owned or handled a Gen luxury watch and having read on forums that a gen has that something extra, I was sadly disappointed. I tried on a new speedmaster moon watch, a used Panerai 114, a used Rolex Oyster Date (1990s), a used IWC chrono model of some sort, and a used Rolex Sub no date around 2005 or so.

My impression were the reps are so close to the gens from a level of print and finish etc. Eyeballing and handling the Gens I felt like they should cost about £400 500 they seemed about as nice as a mid range Seiko or citizen :-(

So I am disappointed that they don't have this magical extra to them and impressed how close the reps actually are to the real thing.

Some Impressions

I couldn't get over how the Pam 114 looked just like a rep or rather how close the rep is to the gen, my Pam 005 wouldn't miss a beat next to the gen 114.

The Rolex Oyster watch bracelet felt like a child's toy it was so light and flimsy.

The Speedmaster was smaller in the flesh than I thought it was going to be.

The Panerai was a lovely looking watch. but £3800?

The Sub was nice but my BP seadweller with TC hands and reworked CGs from a visual level of refinement not much different.

I was pretty set on getting a gen watch this year for my birthday but I am of two minds now, It seems hard to justify the extra money on very little improvement. Saying that It did make up my mind that if I get a gen it will be the Speedmaster, it is a lovely watch.

No doubt other people will disagree with me, but that's how I felt, feel free to share your thoughts on your Gen watch experiences!

Regards

JSJ

Agree with just about all of what you say.

So much emperor's new clothes about gens.

Daywatch

It´s a great idea to take a look at a bit worn 2nd hand gens at a retailer in the first place instead of the AD with all the imaculate, shiny gens under the special lighting. It gives a much better feel for what the gen will look like in 2 or 3 years at home and in normal surroundings..

The usual stuff: Everybody should have one gen (and the Speedmaster is a great choice); The gen gives peace of mind (it´s not a rep) and also lots of worries when in the wrong place (I shouldn´t habe brought it, can loose it, brake it, get it stolen etc. etc.)

Genius

Similar situation have been planning on buying a speedy pro for a while now, saw a second hand one I liked the look of, went in with a target price and started negotiating... Basically got it down to £50 off the price I had set in my head to buy there and then but couldn't get the guy to budge any further, was a bloody good price I was eventually offered it at and about to do it but something in the back of my head was saying I could get 10 decent reps that would be almost on a par quality wise to the gen speedy so walked away. Unfortunately I'm already regretting it as I had a change of heart but the fucker has now sold and I'm thinking my hard negotiation gifted the buyer with a great price

Stuvetjee

Yes, partly i agree with you (PAM in most case). But when i compare my vintage tona bracelet and case with my gen Rollie 1002 (yes, i know two different models) the gen wins easy. You feel alot of difference.

Compared my JF 116520 Daytona with my brothers gen daytona once. Yes the JF feels very close to gen, but the feel of a gen daytona is so sleek and nice compared to the rep. I would still prefer gen or a franken above a std. rep. especially Rolex.

Gazzla

I agree with most of what you say. Cosmetically, not much difference, but the elephant in the AD Boutique is what's under the bonnet. The movement. It won't be pube ridden and put together in a dusty room by Chinese kids paid in fags.

Lagger

Yep I agree, handled a few gens, subs, longines gmt, planet ocean/SMP and felt little discernable difference, even the bracelets that I expected a lot more from were very meh

Dreamsdad

I agree as well but the only reason I have a gen Rolex is so that I can hand it down to my son when he is older. You just can't do that with a rep.

jmshen
I agree as well but the only reason I have a gen Rolex is so that I can hand it down to my son when he is older. You just can't do that with a rep.

Technically you could :P

For me, as said above, the allure of the gen is the movement. No one's making Asian clone spring drives (at least not yet!)

black263

Technically you could :P

For me, as said above, the allure of the gen is the movement. No one's making Asian clone spring drives (at least not yet!)

Already done so. Son who is 45 was looking at my collection and said he really loved the Rolex Milgauss. So I passed it on to him. He'd already had my father's retirement presentation watch which I passed on to him on his wedding day.

Dreamsdad

You could but you would have to tell him it's a rep. I would never try and make him think it was a gen. Imagine the disappointment and embarrassment he would have if he ever took it in for repairs or servicing?

Dendo

Agree with most of this thread.

I like my reps and they are ridiculously good nowadays and getting better. My gen and rep DSSD need close scrutiny to differentiate. Pam 233 is unique though and with the 8 day movement, GMT etc I am glad its a gen, particularly with the open case back and gorgeous looking movement.

Looking at Toros new sub, 6s - which now takes the gen sub movement, this is getting scary - it makes me think a) how much more can this go on - they will soon be almost indistinguishable in the mark 12 version! b) why would I buy another gen c) and the only going to buy is one where the movements and features are unlikely to be copied (PAM 233, Pateks, Langes etc).

Mr_B
I agree with most of what you say. Cosmetically, not much difference, but the elephant in the AD Boutique is what's under the bonnet. The movement. It won't be pube ridden and put together in a dusty room by Chinese kids paid in fags.

This^

Kernow

I only go gen if it is a grail and a keeper. I have several gen Omega's that I also have a rep of! I do occasionally wear the gens but I prefer wearing my reps knowing that if they get lost damaged etc I've only lost a few hundred not a few thousand £/$/€.

frakius

Yes good point about the movement, still I find the markup ridiculous that you pay for it. And the pass it onto the next generation (assuming they don't pawn it). I think for those reasons I will probably end up with a gen at some point.

Simms

Gen movements break down and need servicing too, so for my money it's Chinese pubes all day every day! :lol:

nunu78

just put Gen ETA in your reps and you are good to go.

ower

Same with me, went to a retailer and compared a gen Speedy and PO to my PO Noob Ceramic and have to say, the price difference is not worth it. The rep is sooo close to gen when on the wrist!

tonyh7

Gen movements break down and need servicing too, so for my money it's Chinese pubes all day every day! :lol:

Not just that but the cost of servicing and repairs for gens is eye watering. If you got a couple of years out of a rep, chucked it away and bought another, you'd still be quids in just compared to the AD service costs.

deju

Everyone has their own views, get what you like spend what you're comfortable with.

IMHO gen Rolex sparkle in the light even when beat up better than the reps, they just look crisper.

Phantomtech

I want to tell you, this rep hobby is killing me lol. I recently wanted to celebrate a milestone in life by buying a gen and even got my wife on board with it (!), so I narrowed down my favorite models from my favorite brands and went to the AD with all intentions to purchase.

I was looking at the IWC 5001-5007, and Rolex SUB and YM and even at some entry level AP's like the 15400 and after spending a few hours there I actually left empty handed. I kept on thinking to myself and comparing in my mind that my reps were so scarily close that I could never justify spending that amount when the rep gives me almost the same satisfaction. Contrary to public belief the gen did not have that "additional sparkle" unicorn magic BS etc. it just looked very similar to my reps. Needless to say, the wife thinks I'm nuts for passing that up..

I guess this is only true for the gens that are max around 10k and under, but when we are talking about more difficult movements and complications in the 40-50k range or more then I will surely think differently. There are no accurate or even remotely close reps in that range, always bad dials with wrong subdials and thicker cases yadda yadda yadda.. But no matter - since I can never afford to spend that amount on a watch anyway.

Anyway, just wanted to share that. :)

Bysantinkeisari

There was a time when people bought bodykits to convert their VW bugs into Porsches or Ferraris. That's what I compare rep watches to. They can be really nice and shiny on the outside, but you can't have the real life performance you get with a gen. Ok, to be fair it is a bit of stretch to use that analogy on watches, but it still stands.

When I have a gen I know, or should know, that a lot of engineering and design has gone in to that model to make it as perfect as reasonably possible. I know that the best people have designed and built the best possible product.

The thing is, of course, what kind of a price you are willing to put on that feeling.

jeffrsho

I think it really depends on the gen in question. There are some gens that just cannot be recreated by a rep. Case in point is my Yachtmaster, the gen just feels much better then the rep. Even the highend TC rep doesn't compare to it. There is something about the quality of the materials and the glimmer of real platinum that a rep cannot do. For the most part I agree with you, especially some of the super reps like PAMS and Breitling Superocean. Those are in general so close that all you have to do is throw a gen ETA in and you are good to go...

Just my .02!

Phantomtech

There was a time when people bought bodykits to convert their VW bugs into Porsches or Ferraris. That's what I compare rep watches to. They can be really nice and shiny on the outside, but you can't have the real life performance you get with a gen. Ok, to be fair it is a bit of stretch to use that analogy on watches, but it still stands.

When I have a gen I know, or should know, that a lot of engineering and design has gone in to that model to make it as perfect as reasonably possible. I know that the best people have designed and built the best possible product.

The thing is, of course, what kind of a price you are willing to put on that feeling.

I disagree with most of what you wrote. Mainly because as I browse around the gen forums I see many owners have many issues with many watches and the service costs are astounding not to mention the waiting times. While I have a couple of reps that have been running smoothly for around 5 years or so.

When it comes to complications and highly difficult movements then I agree with you and then your example of Ferrari makes sense, but when we are talking about 3 handed Rolex watches or IWC or AP 15400 or any other entry level luxury watch then the reps are very close, especially since most of my reps have modded Swiss movements that are serviced by my watchmaker. So then the car comparision will be that it is like putting a Acura bodykit onto a Honda engine - which isn't saying much.

Bysantinkeisari

I disagree with most of what you wrote. Mainly because as I browse around the gen forums I see many owners have many issues with many watches and the service costs are astounding not to mention the waiting times. While I have a couple of reps that have been running smoothly for around 5 years or so.

When it comes to complications and highly difficult movements then I agree with you and then your example of Ferrari makes sense, but when we are talking about 3 handed Rolex watches or IWC or AP 15400 or any other entry level luxury watch then the reps are very close, especially since most of my reps have modded Swiss movements that are serviced by my watchmaker. So then the car comparision will be that it is like putting a Acura bodykit onto a Honda engine - which isn't saying much.

I agree with what you say. Paying top dollar and then not receiving the after sales care you deserve is terrible.

I don't have a top dollar gen, but if I had, I would like to have confidence that I am being taken care of whatever happens.

The service cost is something I did not consider. How much can one expect to pay for an official maintenance on a high end gen?