Sign in to follow this  
northantsrich

Q = Rolex Explorer 1, 36mm or 39mm?

northantsrich

Hi Guys,

OK so I guess the title says it all Rolex Explorer 1, 36mm or 39mm?

I am looking at getting my brother a Rolex Explorer 1 (he likes that design). Personally the only Rolex reps I have are all TC Subs. Any other Rolex rep I have previously owned have all been disappointing and had a lot of flaws. Overall I would like your opinions on what other members think of the two below reps. I am sort of leaning to the 36mm rep as its less complex and the the build quality looks like it might be better and more gen like.

From looking at the pictures it looks like the 36mm is a better rep. The strap is less complex and more true to the original I think. The 39mm has a strap where the Rolex crown is too high. Also its quite complex and from past experience they tend to get a little lose and the build quality is not that good.

The two reps I am looking at for reference can be found on Toros site and Kuvarsit site below.

36mm

http://www.kuvarsit.watch/rol/explorer-i-ii/rolex-explorer-1-swiss-eta.-grade-a/

39mm

http://www.torobravo2015.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_144&product_id=1115

Any thoughts guys?

Stuvetjee

From monochrome quoted:

''The latest version of the Rolex Explorer 1, launched in 2010 under the reference 214270, has a bigger case: 39 millimeters, versus the previous model’s 36 millimeters. It also has a new type of shock absorber, along with an in-house, Parachrom hairspring and a new Oysterlock folding clasp.''

So both are existing, just different years.

Genius

Dont go for the 3135 movement...

Dont go for the swiss ETA movement either...

northantsrich

From monochrome quoted:

''The latest version of the Rolex Explorer 1, launched in 2010 under the reference 214270, has a bigger case: 39 millimeters, versus the previous model’s 36 millimeters. It also has a new type of shock absorber, along with an in-house, Parachrom hairspring and a new Oysterlock folding clasp.''

I am not really sold on the rep oysterlock folding clasps. Every one I have ever seen is really bad quality. That's what I was leaning towards the 36mm

Genius

From monochrome quoted:

I am not really sold on the rep oysterlock folding clasps. Every one I have ever seen is really bad quality. That's what I was leaning towards the 36mm

I'm actually the other way.... most of the older style fliplock clasps I've had have been shite (with the notbale exception of TC's which IMO is indistinguishable from a gen) but pretty much all the new style oysterlock clasps I've had have been really good

northantsrich

From monochrome quoted:

I'm actually the other way.... most of the older style fliplock clasps I've had have been shite (with the notbale exception of TC's which IMO is indistinguishable from a gen) but pretty much all the new style oysterlock clasps I've had have been really good

Have you had one on the latest TC clasps, the one he uses on the latest sub and LV?

Genius

From monochrome quoted:

I'm actually the other way.... most of the older style fliplock clasps I've had have been shite (with the notable exception of TC's which IMO is indistinguishable from a gen) but pretty much all the new style oysterlock clasps I've had have been really good

Have you had one on the latest TC clasps, the one he uses on the latest sub and LV?

I've got a V6 its an older one but don't think the clasp has changed since since then... The only thing I can say bad about it was that it was a bit stiff to start with but now it loosened up its great. Still think I would prefer a glidelock but I had one on a noob sub and it was better then the TC clasp (and IMO better than a gen fliplock!) but wanted to keep it true to the original time period

northantsrich

From monochrome quoted:

I'm actually the other way.... most of the older style fliplock clasps I've had have been shite (with the notable exception of TC's which IMO is indistinguishable from a gen) but pretty much all the new style oysterlock clasps I've had have been really good

I've got a V6 its an older one but don't think the clasp has changed since since then... The only thing I can say bad about it was that it was a bit stiff to start with but now it loosened up its great. Still think I would prefer a glidelock but I had one on a noob sub and it was better then the TC clasp (and IMO better than a gen fliplock!) but wanted to keep it true to the original time period

I am glad you said it was stuff to start with. The ones I have are stuff as well. Looking forward to them loosening up. Your right though they are very very gen like.

Genius

I got it to loosen up pretty quickly just opening and closing it, need to do it quite a lot of times but just taking it off and then doing it for a few minutes evry time I wore it had the desired effect

porschespeedster

man, the EXP I classic style (no ROLEXROLEXROLEX on the rehaut, 36mm instead of 39mm) is a killer rep.

there's been a few side-by-side shootouts on the boards and it's almost at a Panerai level of replication...aka you'd need a loupe or to be really familiar with the watch to know any tells.

i guess what i'm saying is your bro has good taste?

MA123

I purchased a 36mm last month with 2836 for my dad. He loved it so much he's getting a gen! Hence it will probably end up on m2m soon (unless i decide to keep for myself) - watch this space!!

Member X

36mm seems to be better proportioned but I just can't get on with how small they are relative to what's available now. I had a 39mm rep for a while and thought it was the most versatile watch I've owned - can be dressed up or down as required and always looks spot on. I'm not 100% convinced the reps are accurate of the 39mm, though - most I've seen seem to have a bezel that just looks 'fatter' than the gen, although I may be very wrong.

SteveA

39 Defoe ,had a 36 was just too small for me and one of my biggest sale regrets alongside the titanium Tudor

xn-cr

I have the 36mm from Kuvarsit since a few days. Great watch!! The endlinks from the SEL are to "massive" - but you really have to search & know this.

My watchsmith serviced the mvmnt. & removed the engaving of the Rehaut - round about i've paid 400.-USD and know everyting looks perfect for me ;)

wellesson

I think the 39mm makes the hands look small (short hands syndrome ?), would go for the 36.

sugaray

Believe it or not. The Rolex Explorer 1 is one of my grail watches. The 39mm rep isn't the greatest. bezel problems etc. the 36mm is almost on par with the real deal.

northantsrich
Believe it or not. The Rolex Explorer 1 is one of my grail watches. The 39mm rep isn't the greatest. bezel problems etc. the 36mm is almost on par with the real deal.

Thanks