Sign in to follow this  
Explorr

Overhaul

Explorr

Gentlemen,

as a noob I try to read as much as I can, don't ask silly questions and try not to get into people's ways.

Since I have not found anything on the forum I would like to ask the community for your opinion when it comes to overhauling a rep.

Manufacturers recommend overhauling a watch every five to seven years. What do you guys do, when the time has come for an oil change ...? Is it propaganda of the manufacturers, to make money? Do you just buy a new one, when the old one does not work any more? Or more generally, what is the life expectancy of a, say asian 2836-2, is it worth it having it overhauled?

Ok, I am happy to read your thoughts.

Cheers

Explorr

Genius

If its a common movement like an Asian clone ETA then its probably cheaper just to buy a new movement than to get the old one serviced. I had a clone movement die on me, so bought a seagull brand clone and had it swapped out

shady

when looking at the prices watchmakers charge here for that work, it really is the cheaper way to swap in a new one.

but i would not do that before the watch has serious problems like stopping or loosing several minutes a day,

BadPickle

if it aint busted, don't try fixin it.

stevok2305

I have 2 21j automatic canal street specials that I use when decorating or gardening (not that I try to do either that often :rofl: ) Which i've had for the best part of 10 years or so. Both start with one swirl and are both accurate to within 10 secs a day. So as PBR says, 'if it ain't busted.......'

Explorr

Cheers lads,

thanks for not flaming me on my first thread. ;-)

If the movement on my old sub croaks it certainly will not be replaced, you are right, it does not make sense tryin' to fix it.

All for now.

See you around next time.

Ex.

stevok2305

If you ask sensible questions and do your research first, and mostly don't be an asshat then you'll get along here just fine. Welcome to the madhouse.

Explorr

Think I can keep up with this. This madhouse sucked me up already.

BadPickle
Think I can keep up with this. This madhouse sucked me up already.

It's a sickness for sure, welcome to the forum :D

insert-here

What Pickle said. -_-

GenTLe

Gentlemen,

as a noob I try to read as much as I can, don't ask silly questions and try not to get into people's ways.

Since I have not found anything on the forum I would like to ask the community for your opinion when it comes to overhauling a rep.

Manufacturers recommend overhauling a watch every five to seven years. What do you guys do, when the time has come for an oil change ...? Is it propaganda of the manufacturers, to make money? Do you just buy a new one, when the old one does not work any more? Or more generally, what is the life expectancy of a, say asian 2836-2, is it worth it having it overhauled?

Ok, I am happy to read your thoughts.

Cheers

Explorr

There is one consideration to do:

1) if it works, don't touch it

2) when it starts to show problems (loosing time, stopping etc), while it is true what Genius and shady wrote, the fact is that new movements quite often comes dry too... So I'd rather go for a service to have a clean and oiled movement that already has proven to work fine when it was new. But consider that I service my own watches (and only my own ones) by my self, so I speak easy here :)