Sign in to follow this  
rusty peters

Alpina Reputation?

rusty peters

I just picked up an Alpina chronograph with a Swiss 7750 and I am blown away by the quality of the piece. I ran into a fellow WIS this morning and he was admiring the watch and was fairly surprised that I would opt for an Alpina. I know that Frederique Constant(sp?) and Alpina are now under the same roof. Is there a stigma attached to Alpina that I am not aware of?

Their resale is poor so you must buy them correctly(I did). Other than that, and a Baldwin as their ambassador, what do you know about them?

IMG_20160226_140441_zpss6mhrrhq.jpg

NFleischer

Nothing wrong with FC/Aplina. They make very reasonably priced low-mid level Swiss watches. Generic but bullet proof ETA movements,

you won't find in house movements at this price point, but can't go wrong with a 7750 for example. Plenty of people here own them;

you can often find super deals online at Jomashop or Gemnation. I picked this up for about $650 last year. It lists for about $1700, which is a lot.

The watch has ETA 28xx, nice dial and band with deployant clasp and super AR.

photo1_zps53f60862.jpg

I also bought the Quartz Club model for about $300 (I've seen them under $200!) Again, I wouldn't pay $850 but for a beater it's great.

caraculiambro

I like Alpina, excellent AR.

20150727_165411_001_zpsyjethlhp.jpg

charlesanderika

I agree, I've had a couple in the past including the Sebring and they are really nicely made - but often heavily discounted so just make sure you buy at a good price.

cogwatch

Since an Alpina Nightlife Club Automatic made my Top 10 ( http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=107867&hl=&fromsearch=1 ), I'd say I think they're pretty nice. No stigma that I know of. There are just people who know the brand and people who don't. Before I saw the Nighlife Club on M2M here, I had honestly never even heard of the brand. Now I have 2 more. An Alpiner 4 GMT, and an Alpiner 4 Chrono.

The Nightlife Club in my Top 10

de550968-a52a-4e55-8c18-e742427ec0d3_zps09xbmsgw.jpg

Baldrick

Nothing wrong with Alpina.......watch snobbery at play once again...same as Oris !!!

James.

They're bonza for the outlay, though i prefer FC of the two siblings. A lot of real good value at this price range.

fatarms

Nothing wrong with Alpina.......watch snobbery at play once again...same as Oris !!!

I agree, this thing is solid and smooth as my Breitling but for half to a third of the price.

P8110103_zpstkrb9zyl.jpg

rusty peters

Thanks for the input. The endlink fit is 10x better than my omega and the bracelet is incredible.

elp

Since an Alpina Nightlife Club Automatic made my Top 10 ( http://www.rwg.bz/bo...l=&fromsearch=1 ), I'd say I think they're pretty nice. No stigma that I know of. There are just people who know the brand and people who don't. Before I saw the Nighlife Club on M2M here, I had honestly never even heard of the brand. Now I have 2 more. An Alpiner 4 GMT, and an Alpiner 4 Chrono.

The Nightlife Club in my Top 10

de550968-a52a-4e55-8c18-e742427ec0d3_zps09xbmsgw.jpg

I did not know the brand before your purchase - since then I have been searching for an affordable Nightlife on the 'bay and elsewhere :)

NFleischer

If you want the Night Life Quartz version, they are sometimes on sale for $175-200 range at Jomashop or Gemnation.

grinner

I had an Alpina chronograph with a GMT complication and it was a fantastic watch. I was jonesing for an Omega Flightmaster, found one, and the Alpina had to go to help pay for it. As much as I like the Flightmaster, I wish I'd kept the Alpina. The resale value is low not because it's not a well-made watch, but because it's not a Rolex, Omega, Breitling, etc.

plankton

Agreed! Nice watch! Congrats RP

cogwatch

I agree, this thing is solid and smooth as my Breitling but for half to a third of the price.

P8110103_zpstkrb9zyl.jpg

Hey, that looks familiar :lol:

And I agree. Solid and smooth as can be.