Sign in to follow this  
Steph Deux

Devon Tread or Cvstos

Steph Deux

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but Google search never returns any results for my searches. Which is irritating to say the least. A link to a thread would be fine if you have one.

Why don't we see any reps for Cvstos or Devon Treads. I have my own theories, but I don't want to colour the discussion first.

Any thoughts? :suck:

Piccolo

I presume because they are niche, so unlikely to make any return on buying/borrowing one then dissecting it to copy. If it needed a new movement making to work in one it would be very expensive.

Cvstos look very much like most RM models to me.

rickyrosey

The devon thread is way to difficult to rep

Steph Deux

Thank you, Gentlemen. That is what I assumed as well.

Piccolo, I thought that as well Cvstos=RM. Or, as I am new to all of this, maybe RM=Cvstos...? Chicken or egg?

Rickeyrosey, complete agreement. I would think the Tread 2 would be significantly easier, but still, very few off the shelf components. Whoever does it, a 1:1 super rep, not an $50 toy, will make a killing.

Thank you both.

onionbag

Devon-Tread-1-Watch.jpg

Yikes....... :mousepanic:

I can beat that though. I give you the Cabestan.......

1580775-2118454.jpg?v=1417098944

Robin195959
Devon-Tread-1-Watch.jpg

Yikes....... :mousepanic:

I can beat that though. I give you the Cabestan.......

1580775-2118454.jpg?v=1417098944

Looks like an old bus conductors ticket machine.

onionbag

'Tis troo dat.

Though I prefer to think of it as the love child of a comptometer and a windlass. :lol:

Piccolo

Whoever does it, a 1:1 super rep, not an $50 toy, will make a killing.

Thank you both.

That's the problem - it would cost them so much in new parts and new machining tools that they would have to either: 1/ sell thousands of them at a $5-800 price, or 2/ sell them at the same price as a used gen... Either way, neither is going to happen...

Steph Deux

'Tis troo dat.

Though I prefer to think of it as the love child of a comptometer and a windlass. :lol:

Holy crap. That's nuts!

PhillyRock

Personally I like the look of the Devon Tread far better, but even if I had the money to afford one, it would be the first generation

watch, due to the look and it would not be an every day watch. The gen is VERY heavy and not very comfortable.

The Rep, if fully functioning and properly operational would run $2K at the least, and I'm fearful that I've underestimated

the total cost of reproducing that watch.

Steph Deux

Whoever does it, a 1:1 super rep, not an $50 toy, will make a killing.

That's the problem - it would cost them so much in new parts and new machining tools that they would have to either: 1/ sell thousands of them at a $5-800 price, or 2/ sell them at the same price as a used gen... Either way, neither is going to happen...

Hmmmm. My thought would be that they should do the 2, the 1 is NOISY as I hear.

I'm not so sure about the cost, but of course I will defer to the experts. Look at the blow up below. While there are oddball parts, they are solid and easily-scanned, most (all?) could come off a CNC easily. Similarly it's just a mechanical watch, without a "movement" per se, a little quartz movement to time the stepper motors. I'm betting those are off-the-shelf parts. Or could be anyway.

Compare that to all the fiddly bits in automatic movements, the balancing act, the secs@(wherever), the "don't use your chrono (does anyone actually do that on a rep?)", the "don't reset your chrono with hands at", the "don't change your date when", et cetera. Given the labour costs and likely the ease of assembly, I don't know that they would need to be any more expensive than the good, high-end reps we see now.

Mostly, it's not a watch. It's a little mechanical gadget with stepper motors instead of springs and flywheels and all the rest. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever that it must price like a car. None.

Thoughts?

nBpWMRu.png

Piccolo

They would still have to sell them... Yes (I think) it's a cool design and it's clever. But how many units make it worthwhile, and why would a rep 'factory' go through all the hassle?

Steph Deux

Personally I like the look of the Devon Tread far better, but even if I had the money to afford one, it would be the first generation

watch, due to the look and it would not be an every day watch. The gen is VERY heavy and not very comfortable.

The Rep, if fully functioning and properly operational would run $2K at the least, and I'm fearful that I've underestimated

the total cost of reproducing that watch.

Given what I've said above, why so expensive PhillyRock?

There is no incredible balancing act, no real need to try to approach single-micron tolerances (I have *no* idea what types of tolerances are used on reps, or gens for that matter), no forcing a movement into doing something it wasn't designed to do, no complicated configurations.

Again, take a look at the below photos. The whole thing just screws together and works. Without fiddly bits and springs and all the rest of it.

QAmEG6c.jpg

we3ogdK.jpg

Steph Deux

They would still have to sell them... Yes (I think) it's a cool design and it's clever. But how many units make it worthwhile, and why would a rep 'factory' go through all the hassle?

If they were to rep that Star Wars version for $750 or so, they would sell like hot cakes.

As far as actual numbers, I have no idea obviously.

Steph Deux

I took a look at the How It's Made segment on

; they used Panerai watches as an example.

Yes, I think that very high quality reps of Devon Treads could be made. No fiddly bits, no ultra fra-gee-lay ("I think that says 'fragile', honey.") springs, balancing acts, cloning movements, or ultra tight tolerances. Screws, gears, steppers, almost all of which could be modified from off-the-shelf parts, bolted together. It's just assembly of a little gadget, not watchmaking.

Devon *may* mill nanometer tolerances on unbinilium, but an exacting rep certainly doesn't need it, and we all know where the price comes from.

Let's go folks! 1:1 Devon Tread 2! Available as a Super rep by Chinese New Year 2017!

"Let's work the problem people. Let's not make things worse by guessing."

Piccolo

Let's go folks! 1:1 Devon Tread 2! Available as a Super rep by Chinese New Year 2017!

"Let's work the problem people. Let's not make things worse by guessing."

Go for it! I'm sure if the parts are available then you can buy them... Make a proto for yourself and get them sold off the back of that!

greg_r

What you're missing is that rep makers do not design and manufacture movements. They buy in off-the-shelf movements (sometimes adding complications). A rep of a movement of this compliexity isn't going to happen - mainly because there's no wider application for it.

Piccolo

What you're missing is that rep makers do not design and manufacture movements. They buy in off-the-shelf movements (sometimes adding complications). A rep of a movement of this compliexity isn't going to happen - mainly because there's no wider application for it.

I was trying to avoid saying this :)

There's not really any application for it - Devon have got the one and only made up as a watch... And I don't think they sell many!

Steph Deux

Go for it! I'm sure if the parts are available then you can buy them... Make a proto for yourself and get them sold off the back of that!

This discussion concerns what is possible and the costs involved, not my plans for entering the replica watchmaking industry.

Steph Deux

That's certainly true.

Though having looked through that abortion thread, if someone did make one, it wouldn't be long before someone else crammed it into a Timex case with a rep dial and called it a Rolex. HA!