Sign in to follow this  
Slink73

Zenith - Pilot Type 20 (PIC HEAVY)

Slink73

I ordered this fantastic rep through Amanda.

I am fortunate as I have access to a Zenith store and tried the gen for size. Understandably I couldn't take pics but they were very helpful and I tried both the SS and the bronze (not the pilot).

I was unsure the rep bronze is right and I get it changes with time & environmentals but I didn't want to end up not knowing how it would go considering this isn't the cheapest of reps. I chose the A2892 movement on the recommendation of Amanda as it being better! ;-)

I am a PAM fan and don't mind wearing a heavier piece. This is not a small watch!

The finish and accuracy of this rep is just incredible.

4fa550845887c7791298d63af558dc65.jpg

I will be getting digital callipers but approximate measurements have this case matching gen. The oversized crown is beautifully finished.

9b8157a51c49310f7be4f3cd97253082.jpg

5cc2b1fb9a7b8eb120db364a48edc5fe.jpg

f402f0c1501a46703df277ccfda6f7fd.jpg

The dial is quite remarkable and without a loupe i just don't know how you'd note any flaws.

f0bd99b2b33a87ab15466b283e0caecb.jpg

Only with macro photography can i spot the quotation marks being 'fuzed'

9a2cf126ca4180760e0528ff05fd857d.jpg

4d408a471252b3f60798c7f4accb7138.jpg

376ef04a935676bf172fa09af43d148b.jpg

f96446209c526721424400397e3c799d.jpg

The hands are well made and from online comparisons appear the correct length proportion and lume sections.

e1f276b212fe82a9740cab4947547eb7.jpg

The Zenith star is finished perfectly

0e5eaf7c462c27f1ddc775209dbc0eb3.jpg

The case back is exceptional with the Zenith carved with incredible detail.

d9d43025b785ed4ed69e5297168327a6.jpg

The outer edge of the case appears to match the gen with several serials

3da346d929d684ee45a60d8fb3f0098d.jpg

And the only thing I wasn't too keen on but again matches the gen is the edition plate

a1d4b4dc9cba5855927be408234007df.jpg

But just not noticeable when wearing! The strap is really quite good for a rep and the buckle matches the rest of the watch for quality.

79eba94cb7fa09215fd586e171fff674.jpg

And features the cutaway as per the gen

ea264945fd38819eff7e353b01549a34.jpg

cdb84b3c2f054c6cdb335adef8491373.jpg

f88cc23a3f8b02c7d77b0e6e87cbd323.jpg

The lume (apologies the picture is poor)

6e44b65f46a8dbe18ed93ab6b0c7e7bf.jpg

The lugs

bd6808d54c6e78324536b7452523ebee.jpg

And the obligatory wristie with ninjas training on the beach in the background!!

1151601f259a961ab3d0114a59d8483a.jpg

And an epic cityscape.

4928f85f5a8c5a4fc5818ea66bc9f581.jpg

So far it is gaining about 10-15 seconds a day and the PR runs to a non scientifically tested 40hrs or so.

I am just stunned how good this rep is. The gen I remember as being marginally heavier on the wrist - but with no date wheel or other functions means there's less to screw up and weight aside I am almost close to saying (without opening the case-back) this is 1:1.

578ecdb2a193846691f89517d62966b6.jpg

tabuktime

It's a beauty, waiting to pull the trigger on a Bronze...

Slink73
It's a beauty, waiting to pull the trigger on a Bronze...

I am just not sure the bronze will age as well. The SS pilot appears to be just so 1:1 it's hard to imagine it getting better.

Nikosaldente

Great.....Thank's for sharing!

dilip

I love it! Great pictures :)

porschespeedster

''the obligatory wristie with ninjas training on the beach in the background''

HAHAHAHA WUT???????????

I'm pretty sure you can pull this rep off.

i mean, evidently you are relaxing on your island bad guy hideout,

chilling with a cigar and cocktail while your henchmen are busy training to trap and kill James Bond

Edited by porschespeedster

BM284

Great review - I'm liking the detail that you've included with the photos! These are really growing on me....

boredpanda

Nice review man! Lovely onion crown too

Slink73
''the obligatory wristie with ninjas training on the beach in the background''

HAHAHAHA WUT???????????

I'm pretty sure you can pull this rep off.

i mean, evidently you are relaxing on your island bad guy hideout,

chilling with a cigar and cocktail while your henchmen are busy training to trap and kill James Bond

I guess I have to be the villain. What with bond rocking the Omega wristies...

Slink73

Is that the proper term? It does look like a bloody great onion stuck on the side, but definitely can pull the scallion thing off!

boredpanda

Is that the proper term? It does look like a bloody great onion stuck on the side, but definitely can pull the scallion thing off!

Yes I believe that's the proper term for it ;) watch looks good on you

Slink73

Cheer's boredpanda. Considering the other gems I managed to acquire in a short time this has become an instant favourite.

I have also done it a disservice. I reckon it is keeping exceptionally good time, since checking at the start of the weekend I believe it to be less than a minute out. So I reckon it's running a max of 10 seconds a day fast. Bloody good in my mind!

Duzza

I'm yet to see a photo of this rep that makes it look anywhere near as 'special' as the gen looks in real life. Could just be photography, lighting etc but the gen positively speaks to you in the metal, its stunning.

Slink73
I'm yet to see a photo of this rep that makes it look anywhere near as 'special' as the gen looks in real life. Could just be photography, lighting etc but the gen positively speaks to you in the metal, its stunning.

Have you worn it? It is stunning, and I thought the rep would struggle to capture it's sense of grandeur. Seriously this rep is very very close indeed.

boredpanda

Cheer's boredpanda. Considering the other gems I managed to acquire in a short time this has become an instant favourite.

I have also done it a disservice. I reckon it is keeping exceptionally good time, since checking at the start of the weekend I believe it to be less than a minute out. So I reckon it's running a max of 10 seconds a day fast. Bloody good in my mind!

Just got myself the bronze. They don't do those in miyota 9015 anymore, only A2824.

But if you like bronze as a material and it's aging, I don't think it can be beat! The AR is amazing too, very clear glass.. Only thing left is to see how well it ages :)

Kreon

Thinking about getting one for myself. It's beautiful! Wear it in good health!

elmerlo

I would have written a review myself, but this is just so good.

My 2 cents: this is a rep that Pilot's watches lovers can't miss. I also tried the Gen (GMT) and we are very close to perfection here.

I bought two Extra Specials, one got sold quickly: I think I will re-stock as soon as I can. I bought also the GMT, a much bigger beast, while this one is just perfect for any wrist.

One thing to notice is that the lateral plate has running serials, so in this thread the OP had the 0031, one of the very first ones. I bought my first one in September and had 0816, the one in December went with 1078. :)

My 1078 says hi:

P1030776_zpssdbjf54f.jpg

P1030767_zpsv0vk02yn.jpg

P1030766_zps8smklp8j.jpg

madbadger

I recently swapped my Rolex DSSD for a bronze pilot from a guy here on RWG, he added his own style of patina to the case and I love it. None of my other watches have had a look in for the last two weeks I like wearing this so much. I managed to mark the crystal by shoving a screw driver in my pocket with the watch (I put the watch in my pocket for safety!!!!!) it didnt scratch the crystal but marked the AR coating. Not knowing the AR coating was on the outside, I used some brasso to polish the mark out, I then saw a whiteish patch on the crystal, I'd polished the coating off, so I decided to polish the whole crystal and remove the coating. It's ok but I preferred the bluish tinge the coating produced, reflecting light shows the face up as a lighter black!!! I don't think I would be able to get another crystal.

Having said all that I'm very impressed with the watch, I did want a SS model with the blue face, but this swap came up and I thought I'd chance it. With the patina on the case, I think it looks awesome, as a normal bronze colour, I don't think I would have been impressed.

Now I have the urge to sell a few of my collection and get a SS case pilot.

I agree the watch keeps good time and I never have to wind it, the power reserve is that good.

If anyone has a SS pilot in blue and wants to swap/trade for something, please let me know

Kev

elmerlo

I recently swapped my Rolex DSSD for a bronze pilot from a guy here on RWG.

I'm more and more interested in the bronze...can you share some pics? :)

micscave

I recently swapped my Rolex DSSD for a bronze pilot from a guy here on RWG, he added his own style of patina to the case and I love it. None of my other watches have had a look in for the last two weeks I like wearing this so much. I managed to mark the crystal by shoving a screw driver in my pocket with the watch (I put the watch in my pocket for safety!!!!!) it didnt scratch the crystal but marked the AR coating. Not knowing the AR coating was on the outside, I used some brasso to polish the mark out, I then saw a whiteish patch on the crystal, I'd polished the coating off, so I decided to polish the whole crystal and remove the coating. It's ok but I preferred the bluish tinge the coating produced, reflecting light shows the face up as a lighter black!!! I don't think I would be able to get another crystal.

Having said all that I'm very impressed with the watch, I did want a SS model with the blue face, but this swap came up and I thought I'd chance it. With the patina on the case, I think it looks awesome, as a normal bronze colour, I don't think I would have been impressed.

I agree the watch keeps good time and I never have to wind it, the power reserve is that good.

If anyone has a SS pilot in blue and wants to swap/trade for something, please let me know

Kev

Toro will sell you a crystal for about $80 usd. I had to buy a replacement a few months ago as I dropped mine and cracked it. ROLIE installed it for me.

Skyranger

Great review with very nice pics.

But now....I want to buy one! :suck:

madbadger

Having said all that I'm very impressed with the watch, I did want a SS model with the blue face, but this swap came up and I thought I'd chance it. With the patina on the case, I think it looks awesome, as a normal bronze colour, I don't think I would have been impressed

Kev

Toro will sell you a crystal for about $80 usd. I had to buy a replacement a few months ago as I dropped mine and cracked it. ROLIE installed it for me.

Cheers for that, I will contact them.

PLANB

who was the dealer you bought it from?

GenTLe

who was the dealer you bought it from?

Irrelevant question. All the TDs can get it. The TDs (Trusted Dealers) are these ones, for this forum: http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=60