Sign in to follow this  
ElvisFreak

Which is better? Franken sub or TC?

ElvisFreak

when you are faced to choose, whci one is the better rep to keep?

a franken Sub built with gen parts and a Swiss ETA

or

a TC SUB V6 all stock?

I ask because I am not able to afford the time and money to toy with modding...so, owning a good, solid Sub is all I really want.

I can source and already built franken but it would mean to let go of a TC V6...

i do not know what to do here....

panerai love

Very hard choice...The swiss ETA movement is a better movement for the sub cause it has the snap date change like the gen, but on the other hand, The TC sub looks the most gen externally and if ever TC decides for any reason to stop making these in the future it could be a collectors item in the rep world....Can you transfer the gen parts and swiss ETA movements to the TC?

ElvisFreak

the TC has Swiis ETA inside.

and TC subs can accept gen parts....

many Franken Subs started life as stock TCs

panerai love

i believe TC movement has a TC 2824 movement. atleast that's what's in mine. But if the TC can accept gen parts then i suggest keep the TC. You could always buy a regular rolex sub from any dealer and mod it in the future. TC makes his subs because it's a hobby for him. so if he decides to stop for any reason then it's gonna be very hard to find one in the future. Just my opinion.

northantsrich

I would go with a TC sub with a KH dial. Its pretty dam good.

RUSH2112

I rarely see anyone get back a reasonable amount of their Franken costs on resale.

BadPickle

Link to Franks section?

RUSH2112
Link to Franks section?

Almost there, you get access at 10,000 posts

BadPickle

Who built it?

RUSH2112

Frank

Abe Fromen

Isn't a TC sub essentially a Franken anyway? He sources parts and put a gen ETA inside, doesn't he?

I'm not understanding. Plus, didn't you just buy that used TC sub from my buddy in Ottawa?

pmartin245
Isn't a TC sub essentially a Franken anyway? He sources parts and put a gen ETA inside, doesn't he?

I'm not understanding. Plus, didn't you just buy that used TC sub from my buddy in Ottawa?

They aren't gen ETAs. BK puts the gen Swiss mvmt in his subs.

Abe Fromen

Ah okay.. then why not just put a gen ETA into your TC and be done with it?

BadPickle

Gen Swiss Rolex cal 3135 movements?

pmartin245

Gen Swiss Rolex cal 3135 movements?

No. ETAs I believe

20Footer

TC's blog goes through all of this movement and gen parts swapping in great detail.

As for the TC vs Franken if you don't have the time or the money it's a no Brainer to buy TC's sub with the KH dial. It is the most accurate sub otb for the generation of sub it is replicating. If after time you need it to be closer to gen, slap a gen bezel on it, then a gen crystal, then a bracelet, etc.. but by the time your done "gening" it up you probably could have bought a nice used gen of the same generation.

Bottom line is you can't really go wrong with TC sub in my opinion.

iperleyr

I guess you'd have to consider your reasoning behind the Franken or the TC. TC will likely give you back some of your investment should you choose to sell it, and you can still 'frankin' it a bit with gen crystal, insert, etc. I often see frankin builds selling for a pretty penny but they don't necessarily move as quick as a TC would (from what I have seen). Further, the frankin build will cost you a quite a bit more in time and money than the TC. However, the flip side is that the frankin build may bring you more joy because you are creating something special to you. You know every aspect of that watch because you (presumably) assembled it yourself and took great pleasure in doing so. So in this case, the money, the resale value, and the time may be irrelevant because it was more of an experience than anything else. I like to mod seikos and unless offered a great sum of money, wouldn't sell them because of how much they mean to me. While the TC (or any other high-end rep) doesn't hold the same sentimental value.

My two cents (pence?)

Kleen™
I guess you'd have to consider your reasoning behind the Franken or the TC. TC will likely give you back some of your investment should you choose to sell it, and you can still 'frankin' it a bit with gen crystal, insert, etc. I often see frankin builds selling for a pretty penny but they don't necessarily move as quick as a TC would (from what I have seen). Further, the frankin build will cost you a quite a bit more in time and money than the TC. However, the flip side is that the frankin build may bring you more joy because you are creating something special to you. You know every aspect of that watch because you (presumably) assembled it yourself and took great pleasure in doing so. So in this case, the money, the resale value, and the time may be irrelevant because it was more of an experience than anything else. I like to mod seikos and unless offered a great sum of money, wouldn't sell them because of how much they mean to me. While the TC (or any other high-end rep) doesn't hold the same sentimental value.

My two cents (pence?)

Never underestimate the lasting value of 'I made this for myself'...

northantsrich

I have three TC watches all with the KH dial. They are very very good.

This is coming from someone that has had around 8 other Rolex reps and sold them all. They are just not as good and I include the BK v5 sub in that.

I am currently researching doing my own custom Pro Hunter sub using a TC sub as the bace.

A solid TC Sub will be a sold go to watch if you get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk