Sign in to follow this  
Del

A watch-buyer's tale: by Del-bo Baggins (now complete!)

Del

Are you sitting comfortably? Then we’ll begin… ;)

My wife and I are going to New York this year to celebrate our 25th (Silver) wedding anniversary and we’ve decided to get our anniversary presents while we’re there, from somewhere on 5th Avenue perhaps (my wife is thinking about Tiffany’s of course!).Obviously, I want a new watch so I’ve been looking around for ideas and possible ADs to target…

Budget-wise, I don’t want to go much higher than £1,000 so I can rule out the “big guns” like Breitling, Omega and Tudor, to name but a few. Since we would be in Manhattan, it seemed somewhat fitting to select an American brand so I started looking at some Hamilton models. As for where to buy, well, I was recommended to head straight for Tourneau and not waste my time anywhere else – they are apparently willing to offer discounts on brand new or certified pre-owned watches. Awesome! :D

I quite fancied the idea of choosing a silver-dialled watch to match with the silver wedding anniversary theme so I initially identified these models:-

Khaki Field Day-Date:-

8c9c12abb55f245654eba95ab2ccca24.jpg

Jazzmaster Chrono:-

372a523b280085771c8c99d882209546.jpg

but I also quite liked this, non-silver-dialled X-Wind:-

bbdf93539d053a22c4f1d8eff10bb31b.jpg

I decided to go and have a look at some Hamiltons in a local AD at the weekend just past and actually tried on a black version of the Jazzmaster Chrono (they didn’t have the silver dial version) and the X-Wind. I have to say that I did really liked the X-Wind, but, upon reflection, it wasn’t the type of watch that I wanted to buy for my Silver wedding anniversary. The Jazzmaster was very nice but I wasn’t so keen on the bracelet – the butterfly clasp has no micro-adjustment so it would be a hit and a miss with the sizing, but, you can also get it on brown leather so that was a real contender!

70bf46ca55cc7471e198f924a99b262c.jpg

I was slightly concerned about how good a deal I’d get from Tourneau, and if they’d even have the watch I want in stock while I’m in NY, so I searched the Tourneau website and was able to identify the watches noted above. I also noted their list price and, for the purposes of my price assessment, I assumed that I could get up to 20% discount at a push.

This got me thinking about what kind of discounts I could get buying online in the US. As luck would have it, a relative who lives in LA is coming to Scotland in a couple of weeks so I thought that maybe I could buy from Jomashop instead, have it shipped to my relative and they could bring it to Scotland for me!

Sure enough, the watches were a lot cheaper in Jomashop, even assuming a 20% discount in Tourneau. Obviously, the watch would be grey market and the warranty totally useless for me in Scotland but the saving should compensate for this, shouldn’t it…?

But then, by pure chance, I stumbled across this Khaki Aviation Pilot Chrono on the Jomashop website:-

27dfe81f195efc848537e4fd14be04de.jpg

Oh, I was hooked! :woo: It was love at first sight! :wub:

It’s 42mm x 16mm in size with the Hamilton H-31 movement (based on the Valjoux 7753), has a 60-hour power reserve, sapphire crystal and a 200m water rating. And the bracelet has a proper clasp with micro-adjustment. And it’s almost entirely silver! :AT:

I really wanted to see it in person and try it on so I searched all my usual local ADs to try to locate it nearby but to no avail - it didn’t even feature in any of their websites. Bugger.

So, thinking perhaps I should just wait to see it in person and try it on before buying, I went back to the Tourneau website but I couldn’t find it there, arghhh! A general Google search threw up a few hits but not many. So, back to Jomashop – 41% off at only $1,095 – but, bugger me, it was not in stock and had a 7-10 business days order period (too late for my relative to bring over for me).

However, there was another Google hit – Amazon US this time. It was there, in stock, and cheaper again at about $984! And I could get 2-day expedited shipping for an extra 15 bucks! Yes!

But what about the warranty? 30 days returns, warranty in the US only. What if it turned up DOA? What if it there was an issue when I examined it in person once it came across the pond? I’d probably be too late to get my relative to return it when they went back to the US so I’d need to send from the UK…..too many pitfalls here. Too many risks. Too many doubts, too much second guessing. Bugger. :(

The lack of Google hits (and a complete lack of hits in the UK) made me think that this is a discontinued model, even although it is still on the Hamilton website. Or maybe it’s for the US market only? :dunno:

What to do, what to do?! :frusty::wacko:

So I went back to Google. Maybe I’d missed something….and I had! A UK site called Watchtag (which I had initially thought was a US site) advertised the exact model for a very impressive £799 (minus an introductory £10 off voucher) so this was only about £85 more expensive than the Amazon.com price (after f/x conversion and fee). They clearly source watches from overseas so it would be grey market just like Jomashop and Amazon but they also give a 2-yr warranty that is valid in the UK, with a UK address to send it to for repair if required. I did some more homework on the company, read reviews, used their online chat and even called them with some questions – all of it checked out ok!

So, long story short, I ordered the watch today. :nana: Should be here in 5-7 business days. :)

Oh, and guess what? It’s coming from their warehouse in New York! :rofl:

Abe Fromen

Awesome post! Awesome luck! If you don't post pix when it arrives, somebody gonna get a hurt real bad.

RichardMiami

Wear it in good health always mate! :D

and just for luck, my Hammy twins say HELLO! (ok...they are adopted twins, but don't tell them that! ;) )

IMG_20160510_142505_zpsy3tsyowc.jpg

IMG_20160503_114735_zpsyvcdgtog.jpg

Stewart

I really like Hamiltons, great choice. Enjoy.

Gazzla

Oh, and, guess what? It’s coming from their warehouse in New York! :rofl:

9fWU6S1.gif

MetalMickey

Some great deals on that site, and your watch is a beaut, Del!

Baz1872

Congrats mate, fantastic looking watch!

Look forward to hopefully seeing it at the GTG! :D

onionbag

Looks smert as new paint, Del. Hate to tell you this mate, you sound like a no0b with all that jumping between sites, price comaprisons, delivery options, guarantee worries..................................sheesh! :lol:

And wot? No love for the Pan Europ?

Jagsman

Lovely! I've been looking at the Jazzmaster recently but I do like your choice!

Will be interested in the service you receive I was looking at using their tenner off offer to buy a Tissot for the lads birthday.

WatchDog21

Congrats on the 25TH!

I do like the Khaki Field Day-Date. Silver for your Silver Anniversary!

Del

Thanks all! :thumbsup2:

and just for luck, my Hammy twins say HELLO! (ok...they are adopted twins, but don't tell them that! ;) )

HELLO to you too! :D These are really nice models - the black version I tried on was very tempting...

Looks smert as new paint, Del. Hate to tell you this mate, you sound like a no0b with all that jumping between sites, price comaprisons, delivery options, guarantee worries..................................sheesh! :lol:

I call it "doing my homework"! ;)

As for the Pan Europ, I didn't want to risk that before the referendum... :rimshot:

dalboy

So ... You got 200 sobs change out your expected grand spend ..

Nice enough change to take your good lady out for a bit of posh nose bag .. Good luck to ya.

Of course you could always inflate her coffers by the 200 sobs you saved for her to spend in Tiffs ..

Congrats on the 25 Del.

20Footer

Congrats on the Anniversary!!!

And congrats on the watch. I really love the dial on this one!

Robin195959

Great story Del. an Auto Chrono for that price is tremendous value too. I have a Khaki auto diver and it's super reliable and has serious wrist presence. A very underrated brand IMHO.

Del

Thanks again chaps. :)

So ... You got 200 sobs change out your expected grand spend ..

Nice enough change to take your good lady out for a bit of posh nose bag .. Good luck to ya.

Of course you could always inflate her coffers by the 200 sobs you saved for her to spend in Tiffs ..

I think the "saving" will get swamped in Tiffany's... :lol:

Great story Del. an Auto Chrono for that price is tremendous value too. I have a Khaki auto diver and it's super reliable and has serious wrist presence. A very underrated brand IMHO.

Yes, getting an auto chrono (and a modified V7753 at that) for this money is really incredible.

Hamilton have lots of nice watches. And I still have a hankering for a Ventura...!

964boy

It was love at first sight! :wub:

Hope Mrs Del does not see this prior to your 25th. wedding anniversary celebrations :D

Great choice mate, canny wait to see it.

insert-here

Lovely piece and congrats, enjoy NY!

Del

It was love at first sight! :wub:

Hope Mrs Del does not see this prior to your 25th. wedding anniversary celebrations :D

:lol: Good point!

Thanks all. :thumbsup:

Sakurai

Great choice and incredible value, love the dial layout and that it's in silver.

Congratulations on your upcoming 25th, well done! :beer2:

Del
Great choice and incredible value, love the dial layout and that it's in silver.

Congratulations on your upcoming 25th, well done! :beer2:

Thank you! :)

Nickfive

Inspirational post and great choice, can't wait to see the actual pics :)

well done Del :thumbsup:

rusky27

Have a good un in NYC - make sure you claim the tax back at the airport if mrs del goes large at Tiffany's

greg_r

sssss we hates the Bagginses. We wants the preciousss yessss....

gollum.jpg

Well, somebody had to say it :lol:

Lovely watch, mate, and congratulations on your 25th year of servitude ;) . Hamilton are such great value. Enjoy it!

Del

Thanks guys. :thumbsup2:

:lol: @ greg_r (I guess I teed that one up for you! :D )

black263

Quite the opposite. A noob would have just bought from the first dealer they came across, without any thought of research.