Sign in to follow this  
henrychinaski

Need help with an A2824!

henrychinaski

Picked up my Tudor Ranger the other day to wear it, gave it a shake and the rotor was loose..like not just a bit loose - free inside the case!

I've had an issue in the past with it becoming loose and tightened up the screw not long ago so it seemed weird to have happened again...anyway, off goes the case back again and it seems like part of the screw thread has snapped off. Oh dear! When I try to manually wind it spins back the other way super fast and doesn't engage or seem to wind the mainspring.

So, is it just screwed (mind the pun!) and I should just shell out for a new movement or do you think it's salvageable? I'm a newbie when it comes to the tech side of watches but have a decent toolkit and a reasonably steady hand.

Pics to follow

Thanks for your advice

HC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27e4a8a937e37d5e5cf8788ab950192e.jpg

henrychinaski

e6b6ca4ebf8581f15976b3328393cf71.jpg

4139cb963bd51ca5161523065ebece0c.jpg

618453340aba4b9a736761373de06b3a.jpg

henrychinaski

Also, any tips to remove the dial? I can't seem to find the hooks or any screws for feet.

TIA

HC

markeym3

I thought there was a wee spring that sat against the one of the winding gears to stop the watch unwinding.

BadPickle

That little hook in the 2nd pic 2nd post is holding the dial on, spin it round with a screwdriver to release the dial, there's another at the other side too

jakethemouse

exactly what pickled said to remove the dial.

I circled your pic in case you can't see it below:

2824.jpg

GenTLe

Personally I would simply search for an autowind bridge (used gen eta) on the bay.

Last one I got was like 10$ shipped (complete with gears and plate under). Cleaned and properly lubed and it is working perfectly.

Genius
Personally I would simply search for an autowind bridge (used gen eta) on the bay.

Last one I got was like 10$ shipped (complete with gears and plate under). Cleaned and properly lubed and it is working perfectly.

Exactly what I was going to suggest, cheap and easy to replace, no need to take the movement out of the case and risk scratching the dial

henrychinaski

Thank you all for all the info and tips!

So do you think the issue with the winding is due to the auto wind bridge or could it be something else?

GenTLe

If the click works well then it is just a matter of stiff reverse gears (those gears with holes placed where there is written "rubies" on the autowind bridge).

Just remove the autowind plate (the 2 black screws are all you need to unscrew) and check if the manual wind works well.

henrychinaski

If the click works well then it is just a matter of stiff reverse gears (those gears with holes placed where there is written "rubies" on the autowind bridge).

Just remove the autowind plate (the 2 black screws are all you need to unscrew) and check if the manual wind works well.

Awesome, thank you! Autowind ordered :)

Hopefully we can get her back on the road in no time!

henrychinaski

That little hook in the 2nd pic 2nd post is holding the dial on, spin it round with a screwdriver to release the dial, there's another at the other side too

exactly what pickled said to remove the dial.

I circled your pic in case you can't see it below:

Thank you Gents!

henrychinaski

Update: Auto bridge removed and there are still a few issues. Hopefully some light can be shed! It's seems the silver gear (don't know the name for it, sorry) might be part of the issue. The screw seems loose, but doesn't really want to tighten up at all. I've removed it entirely and put it back on but it's still the same. When I manually wind there's resistance but it immediately springs back the other way as soon as I release the crown. Is this a keyless issue?

f20f168717b7f77838202faf53891a9d.jpg

black263

I am no expert, but where is the "click" on this movement?

ROLIE

As black said where is the click as its hard from pic to see if its there.

Also under the large silver wheel there is a small spring that keeps tendion on the click , is it still there or has it snapped , you would need to check these parts first and the eta web site would help you out alot as well

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

henrychinaski

Didn't see a small spring under the large silver wheel and there is no 'click' sound at all when winding.

black263

That's the first thing that needs addressing.

GenTLe

Exactly. And beware that the large screw is a reverse one: to tight it you must turn it counterclockwise!

These are the click parts (the spring is nearly invisible if it flyes away...):

afbdccbbf37ba660853751d5b521a9c1.jpg

This is how they are mounted (on a very dirty movement):

8f929f1d7a2cf98d21030c48b791c2c7.jpg

Genius

Brand new genuine swiss AAA movement just serviced from factory

GenTLe

Brand new genuine swiss AAA movement just serviced from factory

Lol :)

Random pic from the web :)

The other I found was even worse:

36d5444a5622e404b38ac997f728470e.jpg

AAAAAAAA++++++++

henrychinaski

Righto, well it seems we do have a problem! The click parts aren't there it seems. Oh dear...

GenTLe
Righto, well it seems we do have a problem! The click parts aren't there it seems. Oh dear...

http://www.ebay.it/itm/112052669466

Click, spring and keyless as bonus :) check the pic if they are good enough because I have seen it from a mobile.

henrychinaski

http://www.ebay.it/itm/112052669466

Click, spring and keyless as bonus :) check the pic if they are good enough because I have seen it from a mobile.

Thanks mate, parts are on their way - this will test me I think but I'm keen to learn!

henrychinaski

Thinking about just dropping an Gen ETA in it and tinkering with the clone to get it back up and running. I love the Ranger and it's a keeper in my eyes so why not..

Will an gen ETA 2824-2 just drop in? Same pinion size for the hands?

How does this one look?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122040391672?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT