Sign in to follow this  
henrychinaski

Need help with an A2824!

Genius
Thinking about just dropping an Gen ETA in it and tinkering with the clone to get it back up and running. I love the Ranger and it's a keeper in my eyes so why not..

Will an gen ETA 2824-2 just drop in? Same pinion size for the hands?

How does this one look?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/122040391672?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Gen eta is a straight swap so the hands will fit on it and if my translation was correct that's a brand new elabore grade so a very good choice of Swiss ETA!

Only thing I'm not 100% sure on is pinion length so weather the hands will gave the same clearance over the dial but worst case those parts can be swapped between the Swiss and the clone if necessary

Genius

Just my opinion though but consider a seagull.... I've got a few gen watches with Swiss ETA movements and one watch with a seagull eta clone and the seagull feels as good as one of the Swiss and actually better than the other and definitely better than my other Asian eta clones.... Also you can pick up a seagull for around a third of the price

henrychinaski
Thinking about just dropping an Gen ETA in it and tinkering with the clone to get it back up and running. I love the Ranger and it's a keeper in my eyes so why not..

How does this one look?

http://www.ebay.com....K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Gen eta is a straight swap so the hands will fit on it and if my translation was correct that's a brand new elabore grade so a very good choice of Swiss ETA!

Only thing I'm not 100% sure on is pinion length so weather the hands will gave the same clearance over the dial but worst case those parts can be swapped between the Swiss and the clone if necessary

Just my opinion though but consider a seagull.... I've got a few gen watches with Swiss ETA movements and one watch with a seagull eta clone and the seagull feels as good as one of the Swiss and actually better than the other and definitely better than my other Asian eta clones.... Also you can pick up a seagull for around a third of the price

Thanks for the info Genius!

I saw a few Seagull's floating on the bay (mind the pun) and didn't know if they were a straight swap as they state. Any idea on the model number? Is it the 2130? I also noticed the Sellita SW200 is a fair bit cheaper too - any info on that?

Cheers

HC

Genius

How does this one look?

http://www.ebay.com....K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the info Genius!

I saw a few Seagull's floating on the bay (mind the pun) and didn't know if they were a straight swap as they state. Any idea on the model number? Is it the 2130? I also noticed the Sellita SW200 is a fair bit cheaper too - any info on that?

Cheers

HC

SW200 and ST2130 are both a straight swap for the ETA2824 range.

The Sellita is a great movement and a lot of the time TAG or Oris watches that have ETA based calibres actually substitute Sellita movements instead. IMO they would also sub in Seagulls just as freely as they do with Sellita if it were not for the fact that would prevent them putting swiss made on the dial.

Put it this way if any of my proper swiss watches went dodgy I would not hesitate to stick a sellita or sellita parts instead of gen ETA.... If it happened to any of my reps a seagull would be my first choice

henrychinaski

Thanks Gents!

Ended up going with a SW200. At an extra 30 AUD I figured I may as well go swiss. I've got the parts coming for the clone too so I'll tinker with that and hopefully learn a bit in the process and not eff it up!

Cheers

HC

Genius

if you got a swiss Sellita for $30 more than a chinese then you made the right choice!

henrychinaski
if you got a swiss Sellita for $30 more than a chinese then you made the right choice!

Yeah, that's what I thought! This is the one, looks OK to my noobish eyes and the seller has decent feedback.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/252463361480

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genius

Yeah, that's what I thought! This is the one, looks OK to my noobish eyes and the seller has decent feedback.

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/252463361480

Yeah definitely!

Works out at £75 for a decent Swiss movement, I didn't pay much less than that when I bought a seagull so would say it was worth the extra especially considering its a brand new.

henrychinaski
Actually looking at his store seems like you could have got an even better deal on an ETA http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ETA-Werk-2836-2-Sehr-schones-vergoldetes-neues-Werk-/252463361477?hash=item3ac7fd2dc5:g:bHAAAOSw9mFWMyDu bloody bargain!

Missed that one! Nice spotting ;)