Sign in to follow this  
the_faz_man

Are asian mechanical movements (eg A7750) effected by temperature?

the_faz_man

I am a noob when it comes to the internal workings of mechanical watches, so please excuse this question.

I was wondering if cold air temperatures can influence the operation of a 7750 and other mechanical movements? I recently purchased a watch with an Asian 7750 movement and it seems to 'seize' in the cold mornings (ie; it will stop working even though it is fully wound - but if I tap the back of the case it sometimes springs back into action). Is it possible that the contraction of the metal parts within the watch due to cold, tightens the mechanism so much that it seizes?. I am in Australia where the winter is pretty mild compared to where you are mostly from, but I am still curious if the temperature can cause problems for mechanical movements? And if so do you avoid wearing your mechanical watches outside if it is bloody cold?

flyr

Never had a problem and I live about 350 miles south of Hudsons Bay(Arctic ocean)

I have had occasional fogging(with a couple reps) when coming back inside when the outside temp was -40C.

Sounds like you have movement a problem.

Good Luck!

Edited by flyr

mysterio

Sounds like a movement problem.

Wriggles

Fluctuations in temperature generally will affect the performance of anything made with metal, but your problem sounds like it's just a problem, temp changes would only have an impact on timekeeping and very slight at that

TRANSPORTER

As wriggles said, temperature can affect timing on a watch but it's such a small amount it's not worth bothering about, what you need is a strip and clean and lube and a fault finding session, you have a problem with the movement mate and it's not the temperature ok.