Sign in to follow this  
panerai love

Pam 005 unitas 6497 problem

panerai love

Hey everyone, can anyone help me on my problem with my noob 005? the problem with the watch is that sometimes the watch just stops after like a day even after a full wind. but the weird thing is that it starts to run again after i just pull out the crown and set the time. And sometimes it runs a full 56 hours after a full wind. What do you guys think is the problem?

GenTLe

It can be a lot of things. Best option is to do a service and so make it to live forever.

porschespeedster

^^^^^^^^ listen to the words of the Prophet, he speaks only truth

panerai love
It can be a lot of things. Best option is to do a service and so make it to live forever.
Yeah, i think i'm gonna have it serviced. anyone you can recommend?

SamsonAusKognito
Yeah, i think i'm gonna have it serviced. anyone you can recommend?

Nick from Watchrepairs UK ... he is the man we trust in.

panerai love

This is really weird, at first i was thinking that the hour hand would hit the seconds hand cause everytime i noticed it stops, it always stops at 8, sometimes it also doesn't stop and would run for a full 56 hours. and when it does stop, i pull out the crown and set the time and it starts running again.

GenTLe

This is really weird, at first i was thinking that the hour hand would hit the seconds hand cause everytime i noticed it stops, it always stops at 8, sometimes it also doesn't stop and would run for a full 56 hours. and when it does stop, i pull out the crown and set the time and it starts running again.

It is more probable that there is some dust in the movement. Catching hands is notable with a loupe: these bastards get scratched EXTREMELY easily when catching between themselves.

panerai love
94B4DE2B-DEEF-4840-B917-C5EDCE837681_zpsvvzxwp5h.jpg0BE92B50-A554-47E2-805A-DEACFCD890B9_zps4q2ebeam.jpg

panerai love

This is how it always looks when it stops. i'm guessing the hands meet but as GenTle said, it could be dust cause sometimes it runs well, but when it does stop, it stops at 8.

BadPickle

Take the back off and post a pic, not quite as blurry as these 2 would be a good help ;)

GenTLe

You can see if that's the problem (and correct it) only taking the movement out and looking from a side (while it is stuck). If that's the case is very easy to fix :)

Just disengage the stuck hand, protect the dial with a bit of old photographic film and lift the hour hand a bit with a toothpick (then check it doesn't catch with the minute hand!).

To take out the movement:

1. clean the working area
  2. prepare something extremely clean and with zero dust on which place the movement
  3. remove the crown guard (2 screws)
  4. open the case back with a sticky ball or a ball of duct tape
  5. unscrew (a bit! Too much and you will fuck up the keyless) the tiny screw next to where the stem enter in the movement and pull the stem out
  6. unscrew the movement tabs
  7. put something CLEAN as movement support over the case back and rotate the sandwitch watch+movement support
  8. lift the case: the movement will remain on the support

Do all in the opposite way to fit it back.

panerai love
Take the back off and post a pic, not quite as blurry as these 2 would be a good help ;)
yup, will do so when i get back from vacation.

tonyh7

Beware step 6 in reverse. Removing the movement tabs is easy. Securing them again in case can be a bit of a fecker in my opinion.

panerai love

Thanks for the very detailed instructions and advice GenTLe!

porschespeedster

I had to do this once---a lot of watches with raised metal dial markers have this problem, and cheap chinese rep factory QC isn't the greatest.

Edited by porschespeedster

SamsonAusKognito

Sending to service/repair is no option for you?

panerai love
it is an option but i have to try what GenTle recomended cause it might save me money compared to having it sent across the country and spending money.

the_frenchman
it is an option but i have to try what GenTle recomended cause it might save me money compared to having it sent across the country and spending money.

Have you opened the heart of a watch before?? Do you have the right tools to make this job??

Trying to save some money instead of getting it serviced will be, in the worst case, much more expensive ( AKA buying a new watch , and throwing you fucked up watch )

Think about it , and make the right decision ;)

Theduke.williams

Had exactly the same problem with a Panerai homage.

When I checked the second hand was sitting a little high, and as you guessed, was fouling the hour hand.

Decided to have a go at fixing it myself, and promptly lost the minute and second hands in a thick shagpile carpet (try saying that when you're drunk).

Now I have a cheap (21 or 23 Jewel?) watch sans hands sat at the bottom of a drawer somewhere - couldn't be bothered to try to find suitable hands, as I don't have a clue as to the fitments on this watch, and it 'd cost more to send it to a smithy than it's worth.

Best bet (as in the words of the prophet above) - get the watch serviced by a profesional, and enjoy it for many years!

andyboy

Looks like the hour hand is catching on the seconds hand.