Sign in to follow this  
PaulSH

Chosing a Planet Ocean - Help Please

PaulSH

First post - please be gentle!

I have read quite a few posts and reviews about Planet Oceans, and I think I know the answer - but would be grateful for any advice before I take the plunge. Non-chrono, orange ceramic bezel.

The two options are:

1 - 45mm SS/SS from Mary, which is the KW low beat Miyota A8500 version, or

2 - 45mm SS/SS from Trusty Time, Noob version with Asia 2824 28800bph.

From reading around, it seems as if the Miyota movement is reliable and closer appearance to the gen, but can appear to 'stutter'.

Sorry if this has been covered several times before, there are reviews - but I can't see any comparisons of the latest versions. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul

Edited by PaulSH

Lagger

I've had both, get the noob, the miyota is terrible, I've had a new movement in mine and it still stutters.........in the 42mm model out apparently doesn't because of the smaller lighter second hand fyi

PaulSH

Thanks Lagger, I was heading the way of the Miyota movement, so will take your advice and go with the 2824 version.

SamsonAusKognito

I'd take 2824 too ... got it in one of my watches and I'm very happy with it.

Lagger

You will be happier with it trust me, I chose the movement decoration overt another noob, wish I hadn't........mine is the Orange one, I tried to buy the noob but it's sold out everywhere.....the 42 is not nice to wear,it's top heavy like a sesdweller.....I moved my 42 on straight away

Khronos

My 45mm KWs also had a very annoying bezel play, while the 42mm had no stutter and a rock solid bezel. Please note that the orange bezel is in fact aluminum, while the black bezel is made of ceramic.

Lagger
My 45mm KWs also had a very annoying bezel play, while the 42mm had no stutter and a rock solid bezel. Please note that the orange bezel is in fact aluminum, while the black bezel is made of ceramic.

The old bp sold case back was aluminum, the kw pumpkin I have have I'm 90% sure it's ceramic.......why you say it's aluminum?

Khronos

I read that the orange bezel is made of aluminum in a thread on RWI. It was something about people complaining that they tend to fade. I was sure that it was aluminum on all versions. Sorry if I'm wrong, just wanted to help.

PaulSH

Thanks for all of the replies.

Mary did correct me about ceramic not being available in the orange bezel - so I will take that as it comes.

Mary is going to have a chat with the Noob factory, and see if she can order some in the 45mm - although she said it may take a week or two. It looks like Trusty Time still show them in stock on their website, but Mary has been brilliant with a couple of previous orders - and with answering a barrage of questions with this PO, so will stick with her.

Lagger

Oh well I'm not so sure now!

PaulSH

Should I be worried!!!?

20Footer

The old bp sold case back was aluminum, the kw pumpkin I have have I'm 90% sure it's ceramic.......why you say it's aluminum?

The Orange bezel should be aluminium per gen specs. The Gen orange model has a lower msrp to reflect this difference. I believe $5900usd vs $6200 for the other "grey/black" ceramic bezel models.

Note I have not owned the orange versions, so it is plausible the rep could be incorrectly made with a "ceramic" bezel.

Wolf359

If you've never seen the Noobs movement @28800 bph, the Miyota/v6f@21,600 is technically a better copy and you will be pleased.

If you have owned the Noob there is no going back. I've had both and the low beat looks like a piece of stuttery blackstrap molasses. Durrr Run Forest Rin

Khronos

Should I be worried!!!?

No.

Black bezel version is more durable, orange can fade and be scratched easier. I've never had the Noob version, so I can't say anything, but the 42mm KW/V6/AT/whatever was sweet.

PaulSH

Well... after all of that, Mary said there is no chance of getting the Noob version with orange bezel in the near future. Shame... very superficial I know, but the orange part was the main pull for me - something a little different without standing out like a sore thumb.

Just e-mailed Trusty Time after all of that. He is showing the Noob version on his website. Money still burning a hole in my pocket!

Khronos

A watch on his website does not mean it's actually in stock, you should ALWAYS contact them first. Golden rule.

I'd contact all TDs if I were you. They're not all from the same city and someone may find it for you. Drop Toro and Fat Panda an email, you have nothing to loose. And you can always go for the 42mm Miyota version, it's a great watch.

SamsonAusKognito
A watch on his website does not mean it's actually in stock, you should ALWAYS contact them first. Golden rule.

I'd contact all TDs if I were you. They're not all from the same city and someone may find it for you. Drop Toro and Fat Panda an email, you have nothing to loose. And you can always go for the 42mm Miyota version, it's a great watch.

Listen to him!

I had the same issue in my last 2 orders.

If you're fine to pay more for another one as I was it's alright, but if not you are doomed.

GenTLe

I got a noob for my boss and a Miyota for me. Coming back I would have taken the Noob for me too...

PaulSH

I did ask Andrew, and he said he had the 45mm orange bezel Noob version in stock... so I'm hoping I can take him at his word. The next couple of weeks will tell I suppose - I will either be a happy bunny, or cheesed off. Been pretty lucky with buying reps so far... just one slightly bad one from a scam site with a very similar name to a TD. Lesson learned.

GenTLe

I read that the orange bezel is made of aluminum in a thread on RWI. It was something about people complaining that they tend to fade. I was sure that it was aluminum on all versions. Sorry if I'm wrong, just wanted to help.

The fading one was one of the 1st version from BP factory.

GenTLe

I did ask Andrew, and he said he had the 45mm orange bezel Noob version in stock... so I'm hoping I can take him at his word. The next couple of weeks will tell I suppose - I will either be a happy bunny, or cheesed off. Been pretty lucky with buying reps so far... just one slightly bad one from a scam site with a very similar name to a TD. Lesson learned.

Good luck... If I put together:

1) Andrew is not in fantastic relationship with Noob factory

2) All the others told you it's out of stock (Tony, from 2016 asian.com had them in "crazy sales" months ago)

3) 2 times I asked Andrew about "which factory produces that watch?" and 2 times he wrote me "Noob" (and they both were from BP)

I'd not feel really good about this transaction... You may end up with a BP...

20Footer

^^ This had been the case in the past with Noob but I have been seeing more and more Noob product on his site. However that is not a guarantee that it will be Noob. Nor is it a guarantee that he won't tell you he has it, but after he has your money...he says it's out of stock. This can and does happen from time to time with dealers for "whatever" reason.

I have had great luck with Trusty in the past on non Noob products. I use Toro personally for anything Noob related.

OP make sure the movement has "pearlage" on it. If it's an unfinished/plain movement then it's a BP not Noob. I hope Trusty wouldn't try to pull a fast one as its an obvious tell and he is a TD for a reason.

Not Quite Dead

There are a lot of bezel inserts out there from gen to others that will fit in all the shades that the PO comes in (and probably some that it does not) so you could consider a bezel insert swap if this is the only reason you are not sticking with a particular TD. It is not a difficult task and there are threads in the forum and you tube videos that take you through it.