Sign in to follow this  
mangonuts

Vintage Sub and SD - quality?

mangonuts

Hi Guys

My first post here (after intro in Newcomersection).. maybe someone help me.

I am looking for vintage rep submariner and seadweller like 1665 comex, Red etc.

A friend told me, that they have a lower quality compared to the classic reps from Noob with very good quality (for example 116600 SD4k v2).

Is this correct?

Thank you.

:)

phone

Some would say they're lesser quality, but not always.

By the way, when you make a thread like this it should go in general discussion. It's not a review! :)

mangonuts

Some would say they're lesser quality, but not always.

By the way, when you make a thread like this it should go in general discussion. It's not a review! :)

I just reported my thread with the report button and hope they can move it. i am sorry.

Daffy

Not a problem, part of learning the ropes around here.

As far as the original question, getting a vintage rep is like getting any other. There are some bad ones that are cheap. There are some bad ones that are expensive, too, but you generally get what you are willing to pay for. If you opt for a Franken, built by one of the well known modders, I think you would be happy with the result.

mangonuts

Not a problem, part of learning the ropes around here.

As far as the original question, getting a vintage rep is like getting any other. There are some bad ones that are cheap. There are some bad ones that are expensive, too, but you generally get what you are willing to pay for. If you opt for a Franken, built by one of the well known modders, I think you would be happy with the result.

You mean like TC, Phong etc?

:D

Del

Moved to General Discussion.

Daffy

TC puts out fantastic subs. Phong is a case maker that tries to replicate period cases, and puts out good products. But they aren't cheap.

It looks like you have the right ideas going forward.

Daywatch

Hi and welcome. You need to heavily read into the issue but imho there is (almost) nothing nicer than the vintage builds, Rolex or Panerai.

The 5512/5513/1680 may be had from as low as $118 (new Cartel versions with asian 21j) Supermirrors, Marvellous or from the twins.

You need a Phong if You´re using a gen movement but that is another level altogether. Rolexaddict in the EU works wonders on the casesets.

An excellent dial will run $200 - $250 (a cheap one $35 to $110), an insert $20 to $50, the plexi $20, crown and tube $35, a bracelet $35 to $200, hands $7 to $50 etc. the fun thing is there are lots of choices, patience and research will go a long way in savings. Sometimes even the original dial is quite good and just needs a nice relume or the hands aged.

Did some polishing on my "fantasy gilt-gloss" budget build today and it´s one of my fav. reps anyhow. (it should have a thinner Athaya crown but it works too well to possibly ruin it).

DSC_6502_zpsun4p3xhw.jpg

DSC_6475vc_zpsedh4sqdd.jpg