Sign in to follow this  
xnview

Date setting changed

xnview

Hi everyone, I got a unusual problem, I hope someone could shed some light on.

A few months ago I bought a m2m watch here, it worked very well, but the crown couldn't screw all the way in. So last night I determined to shorten the stem. The stem accidendtely got a little bent when removing the crown from it (it was apperently glued with the best glue ever). After shorting the stem to the correct length (about 1 mm shorter), I noticed the stem was bent. I did of course break the stem while trying to bent it back. The movement must be a A2824-2, so I used a gen eta stem, and everything seemed to be working as it should.

So today I put the watch on, and noticed that instead of changing the date at 12:00 sharp, it now changes the date at 6:43 sharp.. anyone who have any idea on how the f**k that happened? Any fix, or do I have to remove the hands and reset them to 12:00?

Appreciate if anyone have heard of anything like this, or have any idea on what happened to the date setting.

Cheers

Member X

That's a bit random - I thought the date changing mechanism was tied to the hands mechanism, so I'm not sure how that's happened!

Which continent are you on? I'd be tempted to just pay someone to service it and make it work properly... lol

gavmeister

Can you wind the watch forward 4 days (8 revolutions) and confirm for me if it changes at 6:43 every day or does the time become more random every 24 hours?

xnview
That's a bit random - I thought the date changing mechanism was tied to the hands mechanism, so I'm not sure how that's happened!

Which continent are you on? I'd be tempted to just pay someone to service it and make it work properly... lol

I'm in Europe so, figure I should try to adjust it myself

xnview
Can you wind the watch forward 4 days (8 revolutions) and confirm for me if it changes at 6:43 every day or does the time become more random every 24 hours?

I've tried to wind it 4 days, and it makes the change at the same time every time.. maybe the stem wasn't correct inserted when I tried the length of the stem out, and it might have screwed the date setting up? Can't really see any other explanation.

gavmeister

Hopefully you havent damaged anything other than the stem. Once you have the correct stem in hand before inserting it you might want to check this video.

Your yoke and your sliding pinion may have an issue. This video may help...

Left Coast Guy

I can't fathom how this would happen just from removing the stem.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sossa

Looking for sub Rolex

gavmeister

Looking for sub Rolex

Yep, well you won't find one on this thread, just a bunch of dudes discussing date issues. Maybe you might consider reading and researching the forum first?

xnview
Hopefully you havent damaged anything other than the stem. Once you have the correct stem in hand before inserting it you might want to check this video.

Your yoke and your sliding pinion may have an issue. This video may help...

Yes thank you :) I have no clue on how this could happen. I have now removed the hands and reset them to 12:00, and so far it is working as intended, but I'm just a fraction nervous that it could happen again.

gavmeister

What watch is this 2824-2 from?

Was the stem BENT or TWISTED?

Member X

How do you twist a stem?!

xnview

It is from a UPO 45,5mm. It was a little bent, if it was twisted it would act the same way as if it was straight, only it would have been weakened ;)

RichardMiami

Yep, well you won't find one on this thread, just a bunch of dudes discussing date issues.

Sounds like guys in most any bar in the world..............:P

gavmeister

You don't actually twist the stem as such but to someone who doesn't know about the Helicoidal/Helical Stem with the twist would possibly assume they have damaged it.

Here is what it looks like.

twisted%20stem_zpshpflorye.jpg

court

I think I'd remove and reset the hands as a first step.

xnview

You don't actually twist the stem as such but to someone who doesn't know about the Helicoidal/Helical Stem with the twist would possibly assume they have damaged it.

Here is what it looks like.

twisted%20stem_zpshpflorye.jpg

Yeah ok, well no it was bent, and the bent part was outside of the movement

JSJ

Is that 6:43 in the morning or evening? I'm thinking the evening is better because it's time for a beer.

xnview
Is that 6:43 in the morning or evening? I'm thinking the evening is better because it's time for a beer.

It's doesn't matter? If it's in the morning, could just set the time 12 hours forward, and it would be in the afternoon;)