Sign in to follow this  
PaulSH

Pilot type watch - Rep or not to rep

PaulSH

Hi,

I'm looking for a daily beater pilot type - not necessarily a rep (I also have a Big Pilot coming from Toro at some point soon - hopefully!). Just something that I can wear to work, wash the cars without removing etc., possibly even swimming.

Initially, there are many cheap Parnis types out there with sterile dials - so I though that would be a good idea, all with 6497/8 movements. Then I thought about putting one together from Helenarou - but adding up the costs there (with C3 dials and hands - which I really want!) it comes to a similar amount for a ready made watch with similar specification to this one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112126542288?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I have asked the e-bay seller if there the watch has any water resistance. The case from Helenrou appears to be exactly the same, and is tested to 100 metres.

So, my question is - what would you do in the same situation, with the same type of budget (£200, $260, €235)?

Any responses would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Paul

andyboy
PaulSH

Thanks for the suggestions. The Airblue one looks great - just a bit too expensive. Have been tempted by one in the M2M section. The Hamilton one looks just the job - straight to the top of my list.

Cheers.

Paul

norrie

You could get a SS Zenith Extra Special 20. Grease the seals, pop it on sailcloth and you're good.

PaulSH

You could get a SS Zenith Extra Special 20. Grease the seals, pop it on sailcloth and you're good.

Like this one?

http://www.kuvarsitwatch.co/zenith/zenith-pilot-type-20-extra-special-ss-black-dial/

To be honest, I love the form of that watch. I have been hoping one would come up M2M from UK/EU but nothing yet. I keep looking at the more expensive model. That was going to be a future project. I love the dial colour of the Heritage version, just not sure I want to worry about a chrono going wrong.

Currently infatuated with getting a watch with C3 lume - just to see if I am missing something with the cheaper watchlume.com that I have used on a few pairs of hands - with varying degrees of success. I know there are plenty of threads comparing the two, and other different types of lume - but would like to have one in my hands. I've tried several different methods of having the hands and dial markers glow at me, including adding some tritium vials to a Pam homage - but nothing that I am really happy with.

Of all people, I think Timex might have had a go - but I wonder if anyone has the knowledge here to add this to a dial:

https://www.proto-pic.co.uk/electroluminescent-el-panel-20cm-x-15cm-aqua.html?gclid=CIDZ9o-5oM8CFcsy0wodiJ4Efg

Thanks for the suggestions. Sorry for the waffle - sat here at work with a stinking cold, and doing my best to ignore several shitty e-mails that I ought to be replying to.

Member X

If you just want a beater, how about the Geckota stuff?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Geckota-K1-Mechanical-B-Uhr-Automatic-Miyota-8215-Pilots-Watch-Head-No-Strap/301640397404

They have a few different versions on the actual geckota website IIRC, and they are discussed on WUS if you want to seek out some opinions etc :)

PaulSH

I did see that one on e-bay last night and was tempted. The only one that was available was a 'bronze effect' one - which looks good to me, but was worried it would rub off in no time. Looks good though. Cheers - I will check WUS.

trailboss99

Wait until Deep Blue (AKA Air Blue depending on the model) have a sale.