Sign in to follow this  
phoenix3026

P-Ocean Orange ss/ss help.

phoenix3026

Hi,being new to the forum,I am in need of a bit of help!

I've been contemplating a planet ocean and was wondering what is the most desirable movement to have.

I have contacted Perfect Clones and Mary for prices qc pics etc

http://www.pf-818.com/omcpo45-ocean-orange-ssss-swiss-2824-p-20253.html

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=77164

so the question is - Japanese MIYOTA 8215 automatic movement or Nickle plated Swiss ETA 2824-2 or Asian 2824 modified.

I would like it to be as close to the gen as possible but would also like accuracy and reliability ( I know i'm asking a lot )

I think that the 2824 is the closest to gen @ 28,800 vph but is it any good?

Thanks for taking the time to read/reply. :unsure:

Genius

I'd go for the asian 2824

Left Coast Guy

Well to start, just the tone of your message sounds like you haven't done near enough reading around here. The reason we push everyone to read is that we have no idea what your pre-existing notion of "quality", "reliability" or "accuracy" really means -- you need to understand the spectrum of those terms as they fit in the rep world and set your expectations accordingly. Otherwise, you'll likely be disappointed and it'll be your own fault.

Anyway.....

First, the gen Planet Ocean is 25,200 bph, so right between the 28xx at 28,8000 and 8215 at 21,600, which in real terms means the "sweep" of the seconds hand won't really be noticeably different from the gen with either mov't AND neither is accurate to gen.

Second, if you research the PO reps, you'd learn that in the past the 28xx mov't hasn't been super reliable with that model, because the markers stick up very high and the pinion (i.e. the thing that holds the hands) isn't very tall on the 28xx so it makes for very tight clearance between the dial markers and the hands. This may have been addressed by the factories, but its still a risk that the 8215 version doesn't have, because the 8215 has a taller pinion. In general, a 28xx is one of the most reliable mov'ts, but this model is a different story. See Alex's comments in this thread -- http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=94886

Next, the 8215 has its own quirks -- its subject to having a "stutter" on the seconds hand, just as part of how the mov't works. Search 8215 stutter for more info. Not all 8215's have it, it depends on model and weight of the seconds hand, but its still a possibility for yours so you should know about it. I've personally owned two of this version and neither of mine stuttered at all.

On price, $388 is way too much for that model/mov't, I think I bought mine for $260? That may have been a special, but its worth searching around for other dealers to see if they offer it cheaper. An 8215 is a Miyota version of a 21J, more reliable than a 21J maybe, but I won't pay more for one than a 2824

Genius

Just to add to the above...

at 45mm that means quite a long second hand so is asking for st.. sts.. stu..stu... stutter

I'd actually forgotten Alex's post about the 2824 issues but I had one with an asian clone and it worked fine, think they are generally pretty reliable just a cunt to work on if they go wrong

phoenix3026

@ Left Coast Guy.

Thanks my friend for taking the time and effort to reply to my post,I did take time looking around the site to some facts on the movements,such as http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=94886. etc.

I just gets a bit confusing with all the different facts and figures being a noob.

I was wondering if any members own said watches and are happy/unhappy with their purchases and had any reliability issues.

akira112

Just get the asian.

Non decorated but you will be wearing the watch, no one will see the movement.

RUSH2112

Theduke.williams

Buy a PO with a closed caseback, and an a2824.

I love display backs, but to look more 'gen' like the above option would be my recommendation.

However if I see a ST19 display back Seamaster Chrono at an affordable price it'll be bollocks to the above!