Sign in to follow this  
Synfreaker

Buying A Professional Gold Plating Machine? (PICS)

Synfreaker

Hi guys, So I've been thinking about this for a while now and would like to hear what you all think about this..... Like everyone else here I like to sometimes dabble in a little Gold, but of course there is always the inevitability that your Gold plating will start to wear or discolor, it's not a question of if but when based on many factors of course. I myself have a Bell & Ross from Toro, the Gold and Black PVD which I love and has lasted me so far 2 years looking splendid as new! However, I would love to get my hands on some pieces that I feel look perfect in gold, Rolex Day-Date & Yacht-Master, AP Royal Oak, to name a few but I haven't because with that much gold on display 1 bad day is all it takes to keep that watch unworn.

So I've been seriously thinking about buying a Professional Jeweler Gold Plating System. The best one will run me about $1,500 -$1,800, this of course includes the machine, parts, solutions, and Gold. This setup is more expensive but this is due to it being tailored for plating Stainless Steel which is a difficult task.

Buying this for myself seems crazy in to me. However, buying this and being able to share this with all of you guys on here is a different story I think. As long as you help cover me minimally cover for the Gold, I could keep all of our watches or jewelry pieces dripping in heavy levels of gold, much more than the factories for sure.

I don't know guys what do you think???? Suggestions or comments??

Thanks, Hans

JM2010_600x429.jpg

51v7djqqAAL.jpgGold-Rolex.jpgAP_Royal_Oak_01.jpgPatek-Philippe-Nautilus-57111R-001-Rose-Gold-chocolate-1.jpg

Wriggles

I'm not a gold fan, but to be honest this appears to border on a group buy which is not allowed according to those pesky rules.

I'm not saying this is something you'd do, but it's a lot to trust someone you've never met with a chunk of money and some of your reps, who's to say an unscrupulous person wouldn't take the money, not buy the kit, accept a bunch of reps, and then piss off with a load of cash and a large number of reps.

I'd say it's too much of a risk for most, it's a nice idea and your intentions may be pure as the driven snow, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

If you're serious it might be an idea to run this by Greg first

WatchaholicMallorca

With what that machine is going to set you back, on the off chance that the gold wears on your rep, why not just by the rep again?

RUSH2112

Sounds like a group buy. Not a fan of gold either....

Synfreaker

Well actually I didn't notice I came across as wanting to do a group buy so I apologize for this.... I actually wanted to buy this for myself as I want to be able to take the anxiety out of purchasing some gold pieces, including some of the gorgeous new jewelry options by Tim and other TD's for the Fiance.

I just thought about how would this affect everyone here if I has this.... would it be worth it for me buying this machine? And of course I would be glad to plate some of your pieces if and when the time comes, but not as a business..... more as a means of sharing and putting this thing to use. What I was saying was that of course the cost of the gold solution depending on how much would be covered since it can be pretty pricey... But no additional costs or labor at all.

Synfreaker

With what that machine is going to set you back, on the off chance that the gold wears on your rep, why not just by the rep again?

My main reasoning behind this is that I live in Miami, Florida. Its hot here and salty and you always sweat here which can be killer on plating if not done heavy and right

Xpletiv

Looks like someone took a small hammer to that Rolex......maybe extra layers and then smooth it down?

How do they do it when they plate name plates and such on automobiles? I know it used to be done and they weren't removed before plating.

Synfreaker

Looks like someone took a small hammer to that Rolex......maybe extra layers and then smooth it down?

How do they do it when they plate name plates and such on automobiles? I know it used to be done and they weren't removed before plating.

There is a specific machine for plating car emblems it uses a wand with a sponge... different setup and chemical based

ShovelnTC

Like most things having the tools only may not get the results that you expect.

Tools, skill and experience is what results in a first class job.

I have had a bit to do with chrome plating and there is a LOT that needs to be in place before an acceptible job will result.

Good luck but I'd be doing a swag of research before spending your money.

theslavetrainer

This while nice is impractical- I plate and the setup you have shown is a companies retail unit which is a rip off. They charge 2,000 and on sell you the chemicals.

WatchaholicMallorca

My main reasoning behind this is that I live in Miami, Florida. Its hot here and salty and you always sweat here which can be killer on plating if not done heavy and right

Yeah I get that, I live in Spain so I'm prone to a bit of persperation myself, but personally I haven't found gold plating nowhere near as bad as what people say on here. But that could just be luck I suppose....

King

Like most things having the tools only may not get the results that you expect.

Tools, skill and experience is what results in a first class job.

I have had a bit to do with chrome plating and there is a LOT that needs to be in place before an acceptible job will result.

Good luck but I'd be doing a swag of research before spending your money.

+ 1 on this. I have a jeweler who has the ability to gold-plate a variety of things, but he won't touch a watch. Too many moving parts. Has to be completely disassembled, prepped, and then finished. On the sub, the case, crown, bezel, bracelet, clasp, etc. all had to be taken apart and dipped separately. Then you have to polish the case, crown, midlinks ... sounds like a LOT of tedious work to me. And I don't even want to think about the difficulty in finishing the PP and AP -- got to be easier just purchasing a new gold-plated rep.

But the last thing I want to do is piss on anyone's dreams. If you're interested in getting into this as an extension of your watch/jewelry collection hobby, go for it. I'll happily sit back and marvel at the pics of your creations!

As an aside, if you decide at some point to move on to PVD/DLC coatings, I'd be much more likely to use you ...

trailboss99

There is more to successful plating than just the electroplate gear mate. You will also need to good quality buffing rig and be good at using it. Much like spray painting a car the end result is 80% in the prep work as the surface must be perfect for a flawless result; its not a matter of plating over what is already there. As mentioned above the watch needs to come apart completely including removal of the crystal and bezel (rotating or not, it it has a separate bezel off it comes) and every piece polished to perfection. Super cleanliness is also most important, you will need a very clean, dust free environment in which to work as the slightest speck on the piece will ruin the job. Its not quite rocket science but it is a skill that takes time to master.

CedricWX

And there is an obvious problem; Any gold at all on the watch case or the bracelet (if it has one) means the hands and the markers have to be gold too. Check out any watch, any brand and you will find that to be true, except where the hands and markers are neutral (black, or blue or whatever) If they are steel, you'd have to plate them too. By the way I use pen plating on steel all the time. I assure you it is no problem at all.

Synfreaker
This while nice is impractical- I plate and the setup you have shown is a companies retail unit which is a rip off. They charge 2,000 and on sell you the chemicals.
I guess since I'm looking from a non jewelers perspective I don't know about the non retail equipment available. If you have any suggestions or links I would appreciate taking a look at a non retail version.

Synfreaker
There is more to successful plating than just the electroplate gear mate. You will also need to good quality buffing rig and be good at using it. Much like spray painting a car the end result is 80% in the prep work as the surface must be perfect for a flawless result; its not a matter of plating over what is already there. As mentioned above the watch needs to come apart completely including removal of the crystal and bezel (rotating or not, it it has a separate bezel off it comes) and every piece polished to perfection. Super cleanliness is also most important, you will need a very clean, dust free environment in which to work as the slightest speck on the piece will ruin the job. Its not quite rocket science but it is a skill that takes time to master.
agreed it will definitely require a learning curve by me which I'll have to research on. However aside from watches I'm also interested in being able to maintain some of the pieces in the ladies collection. Like most of you I have all but 1 watch in Steel. Women however have the best offerings in plated gold, watches and items like bracelets, rings, necklaces, mostly are gold plated.

I don't know about you fellas but I find myself being crucially careful not to scratch or bang up my watches when I wear them. But the ladies.... It's like a tornado came thru. Disaster waiting to happen. Lol.

Daywatch

A complete electro-pen plating kit with accessories will run around $200 or lower (don´t quote me on it).

It´s perfect for small repairs, doing just a bezel or a crown and with some patience plating a suitable caseset or the sides of links. Advantage is there is no need to disassemble everything. For someone to try it out and use as a hobby, that´s quite acceptable money.

To do a basic kit "for free" at home You just need tupperware, wire, a 12v trafo, 2 graphite pencil mines, water and salt and a silver coin, copper coin or a gold ring. It doesn´t look as professional as the $2000 kit but it will do the same. As a youngster had a lot of fun plating coins and other stuff and they looked perfect.