Sign in to follow this  
Dommysam

Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Chrono

Dommysam

Oh man... I've just had a crisis.

Linky

The most striking feature of the STEINHART Ocean One Vintage Chronograph is probably its dial. Matt black with contrasting sub dials and inner ring with fine, red accents, surmounted by a high domed sapphire crystal with a double layer of anti-reflective coating on its inside. Framed is this breathtaking sight by a black aluminum inlay with tachymeter scale, which, in conjunction with the chronograph complication, can be used for measuring velocities. The STEINHART Ocean One Vintage Chronograph is powered by the Dubois Dépraz DD 2020, a Swiss automatic movement which is based on the decorated ETA 2824-2 TOP with its gilded STEINHART rotor, which can all be admired through the sapphire crystal window in the screw-down stainless steel case back. Also screwed down is the large, well gripping crown with its discreet red accent as well as the two pushers, which allows for a water resistance of up to 10 ATM.

Irrespective of these technical highlights, the look of this Chrono with its partially polished, partially satin-finished stainless steel case radiates the irresistible flair of the wild 60s. Whether you wear the STEINHART Ocean One Vintage Chronograph on the finely brushed bracelet, that tapers down to 18mm towards the folding buckle, or on a leather or synthetic watch strap, the sporty charme of this watch will be difficult to resist.

o1v-chrono_1kx1k_01.jpg

ShovelnTC

Yeah I thought I was in love myself until I saw it was 18mm thick and weighs over 200 grams.

Too chunky and heavy for me I'm afraid.

Edit: just re-read the specs and it is 132 grams so its just too chunky but not too heavy oh and at that price bracket they are competing with the likes of Oris and a few others.

At that price it would probably be one of the most expensive homages around.

Dommysam

€1000 though... ouch

rusty peters

I think the price is justified but 18mm thick is a deal killer.

nuttcrac69

Loving it, but they should have made it 40mm and also have an option of a white dial.

ShovelnTC

€1000 though... ouch

Yes the Steinys are becoming popular and it is being reflected in each new model release.

My first Steinhart was the first release of the OVM which I recal was about 300Euro, (non-EU sale with no sales tax) that was when they were great value.

Genius

Loving it, but they should have made it 40mm and also have an option of a white dial.

I have to disagree on the size thing, the fact they make em bigger than the old rolex makes them more appealing to me

rawbaws

I have to disagree on the size thing, the fact they make em bigger than the old rolex makes them more appealing to me

Agreed but 18mm for a 42mm watch is pretty bloody tall. I'm guessing a chunk of that is the crystal height though

Flipper81

I have to say I seriously like this watch but 980€ is pretty steep for something that is defined as a homage design.

Having said all that it's seriously close to being on my want list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FL13

18mm?

FUCK.

Movement is 7.5mm compare to a 2824 at 4.6? But yet we see 2824's in 10mm cases.... No excuse for an 18mm watch height, regardless of the sapphire...

deju

I love this watch I've put it on my want list!

Great homage to vintage Paul Newman :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FunnyStarSystem

Just looking through the Steinhart catalogue and I have to say I do feel a bit uneasy about it. At what point does an homage become a complete rip off?

I mean this Daytona, the sub, check out the IWC, they've even "repped" the bracelet...

https://www.steinhar...-stahlband.html

I own that watch, why do you feel "uneasy"? Watch makers have been following trends for hundreds of years, and you're on a rep site and you feel "uneasy"? Please.

To hold the actual watch in your hand you would see it isn't a rep at all, quite different in every way, I also own a Spitfire chrono on steel and the bracelets are completely different animals.

I've never owned a Daytona because of its size (I've got lumberjack wrists) so I might be up for trying this out. An easy sell on the Bay if I don't like it.

LightGeek

I think the price is justified but 18mm thick is a deal killer.

18mm !! Crazy. Homage or not, it's quite thick.

FunnyStarSystem

It is quite the spaceship! Granted, the crystal is a good 1/4 of it. Can't ever quite tell until it's on your wrist though.....

o1v-chrono_1kx1k_08.jpg

Also only €823 for those of us not subject to VAT - contemplating an order...

Luke Warm

Out of Stock already!!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Dommysam

Just looking through the Steinhart catalogue and I have to say I do feel a bit uneasy about it. At what point does an homage become a complete rip off?

I mean this Daytona, the sub, check out the IWC, they've even "repped" the bracelet...

https://www.steinhar...-stahlband.html

I own that watch, why do you feel "uneasy"? Watch makers have been following trends for hundreds of years, and you're on a rep site and you feel "uneasy"? Please.

Don't get me wrong, I own a couple of Steinharts and obviously to buy a gen watch with Swiss movement that follows the "trends" of high end brands but costs ~500 quid is great.

However, if you take a step back and look at what Steinhart are doing I think it's fair to say that they are doing way more than "following a trend" when you consider their IWC, Submariner, Bell & Ross and Daytona "homages".

What they're doing almost justifies what the rep factories are doing albeit they go one step further and slap another copyright owner's name on the dial.

I love this Daytona homage, I will probably buy it BUT it is a copy of another designer's hard work and I don't really think you can argue otherwise.

FunnyStarSystem

I'd agree with you more if Steinhart hadn't made a name for themselves among watch collectors on their own merits, and strove to not piss purists off by, say, not making a watch that looks like a Daytona, and then making it 18mm thick. But that's what I love about Steiny, It's why I've got four. I love them for their own, odd quirks more than what they appear to be in photos. They're really not copies at all, rather more a fun, quality Halloween costume, imho. Plus they do have some completely original designs as well.

Anyway, cheers and I apologize for sounding like an ass in my previous post, what Steinys do you have?

Dommysam

Anyway, cheers and I apologize for sounding like an ass in my previous post, what Steinys do you have?

Didn't sound like an ass at all, I get what you're saying!

I've got the Ocean One Vintage and the ceramic bezelled Ocean One Black (coming to M2M next week).

Seriously considering picking up the chrono, relieved it's out of stock!

Bash64

In some ways, I think its all been done. Almost impossible to come up with a truly new design nowadays. Steinhart does a great job of adding small details to make a watch their own and providing it at a price most of us can afford.

Dommysam

Back in stock and one on it's way to me! Will do a little review once it lands!

fatarms

At that price point, I think I'd go back to the $200 Alpha version with the Sellita movement.