Sign in to follow this  
MDK

Postage to the States form the UK

MDK

Just a quick question to ask, i have not sent much to the states, anyone have any advice on the safest method, i.e. customs, is a express 1-2 day any safer then the usual recorded delivery ?

Sorry if this has been asked

WatchaholicMallorca

I know it isn't UK but I sent a package from Spain a few weeks ago and paid express and the guy received it in 5 working days smooth as you like.

dfq23

International Tracked is prob best. Tracked all the way and delivery is confirmed. They do tracked and signed but unless you need to confirm who received it then not worth paying the extra.

International Signed is only tracked until it leaves the UK and then signed for at other end

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/international-delivery/international-tracked-signed

greg_r

I've sent quite a few watches to the US (mostly VIP prizes) and invariably send em via Royal Mail International Tracked. Not had one seized yet, although I guess it'could depend on the port of entry used - having said that, I've sent packages to most parts of the States without problem.

BadPickle

I use parcelmonkey for the best deals, tracked and signed fpr

Genius

If you set up an online postage account with royal mail you can usually get tracked and signed for the same price as just tracked

MDK

thank you all,

Chiruku

On a packaging note - the last couple that I have had from over the pond (US to UK) were actually in padded envelopes rather than boxes (as was told thats a good way to avoid prying eyes). Obviously the item in question was in a small solid plastic box within the envelope for protection...If that helps!

MDK

On a packaging note - the last couple that I have had from over the pond (US to UK) were actually in padded envelopes rather than boxes (as was told thats a good way to avoid prying eyes). Obviously the item in question was in a small solid plastic box within the envelope for protection...If that helps!

not a bad idea, i guess marking it as a watch for repair or parts is also not a bad thing to do

Chiruku

not a bad idea, i guess marking it as a watch for repair or parts is also not a bad thing to do

Yeh, 'watch for repair' with a value of $20 seems to be common

banjo

I just wonder what kind of 20 dollar watch is worth stumping up shipping to the US for repair? Those customs guys aren't dumb. (Well, maybe a few are!)

e&oe...

Chiruku

I just wonder what kind of 20 dollar watch is worth stumping up shipping to the US for repair? Those customs guys aren't dumb. (Well, maybe a few are!)

e&oe...

Think $20 is the ceiling to avoid any sort of import tax from a value point of view? Could be wrong though.