Sign in to follow this  
LightGeek

Moonwatch. Differences?

LightGeek

For these two, consider me ignorant so can someone tell me what the heritage/model differences are? For the Rolex folks, it's like questioning 116610 vs 11610 -- hey, they're both Submariner's right?

I don't need to know the flaws per-se (eg. subdials too close), unless it's blindingly obvious like "hey, that second one is pure fantasy."

The only thing I can tell so far is...

One is the numbered edition with solid caseback.

The two differ by 0.5 mm for some reason

Second one has the word "Professional" on the dial.

Can someone mention what reference model they are?

Thanks mates!

-------------------------

IMG_8776_zps54c51bf1.jpg

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=121697

Size:39.5mm x 15mm

Movement:seagull ST 19 chronograph movement

Functions:Hours, minutes, sub-seconds and chronograph

Case: 316L stainless steel case

Crystal:Scratch-proof sapphire crystal

Dial: Black dial

Bezel:Black bezel

Strap:Steel bracelet

Clasp:Deployant buckle

-------------------------

IMG_0972_zps06072f55.jpg

http://www.rwg.bz/bo...howtopic=121696

Size:39mm x 14mm

Movement:seagull ST 19 chronograph movement

Functions:Hours, minutes, sub-seconds and chronograph

Case: 316L stainless steel case

Crystal:Scratch-proof sapphire crystal

Dial: Black dial

Bezel:Black bezel

Strap:Steel bracelet

Clasp:Deployant buckle

LightGeek

This video gives you a break down of every speedy out there. The article on Hodinkee website is also a very good read

https://www.hodinkee...er-professional

<removed embedded video in quote>

Beauty! Love videos, thanks. I'll definitely go through it. The headline picture with the dozen speedys on the table got me aroused -- as a watch aficionado...

freddyfinger

but to help you out even more the top one look like a 2998-5 and the second look like my grail watch the 105.012 the Apollo watch it should be 42mm though and never had a display caseback

lexidium

There's also the rep quartz one which has the same face but a solid back with 'first watch on the moon' written on the back.

Not Quite Dead

Not forgetting if it says Professional you have to be a qualified astronaut.

GC

The first one is a Re-Edition of the 2998 (hands are different, so is the case I.e. the crown and pushers are exposed). Hence the 39.5mm measurement.

The second one is supposed to be the moon watch, but it should be 42mm (hence the "professional" on the dial. The case is larger due to it providing partial shrouds for the crown and pushers.

NCRich

Very long thread on RWI in the Omega section. My verdict after a couple weeks of research is that they all have grave flaws. Buy the one you like the best. I have the second one you posted in the mail winging its way to me because I liked it the best. A gen plexi goes a very long way toward making it look the business. It also helped that MR has three versions of that on sale for $200. That is a $50-75 discount over most others for exactly the same watch. The gen plexi model number for the 39.5 (they are all 39.5 regardless of description if they are not the big size) is pw5139 and you can get it at Cousins or Ofrei or ebay. Happy hunting.

LightGeek

This video gives you a break down of every speedy out there. The article on Hodinkee website is also a very good read

https://www.hodinkee...er-professional

but to help you out even more the top one look like a 2998-5 and the second look like my grail watch the 105.012 the Apollo watch it should be 42mm though and never had a display caseback

Thanks, I'm only looking because they are 39-39.5mm for these (if it's true).

There's also the rep quartz one which has the same face but a solid back with 'first watch on the moon' written on the back.

Quartz I'm not a fan of, but good to know.

Not forgetting if it says Professional you have to be a qualified astronaut.

Just call me Wolowitz. Won't stop me but good point.

The first one is a Re-Edition of the 2998 (hands are different, so is the case I.e. the crown and pushers are exposed). Hence the 39.5mm measurement.

The second one is supposed to be the moon watch, but it should be 42mm (hence the "professional" on the dial. The case is larger due to it providing partial shrouds for the crown and pushers.

Vely intelesting. That second one was a mystery and while I tried to unravel, after 30 minutes I said screw it -- leave it to the pros and post here. THAT, is good to know -- but still won't stop me even if it's the wrong size.

Very long thread on RWI in the Omega section. My verdict after a couple weeks of research is that they all have grave flaws. Buy the one you like the best. I have the second one you posted in the mail winging its way to me because I liked it the best. A gen plexi goes a very long way toward making it look the business. It also helped that MR has three versions of that on sale for $200. That is a $50-75 discount over most others for exactly the same watch. The gen plexi model number for the 39.5 (they are all 39.5 regardless of description if they are not the big size) is pw5139 and you can get it at Cousins or Ofrei or ebay. Happy hunting.

Flaws are absolutely ok with me, I'm just going after the design -- and TRYING to replace my gen Speedy Reduced with one of these, and only because it's saying 39-39.5. Any bigger and I wouldn't even think about it. Thanks for this reply though, you've reminded me that MR has them listed too and I should check.

Finally, thanks everyone that contributed! Much help!

Kernow

First Omega in Space and the other a Moon watch I believe. Although the Moonie looks shit as the sub dials are too far apart.

Nickfive

Loving that Hodinkee video, some really interesting knowledge right there!

Haltec

Am I getting something wrong here?

ST19 subdial @6 pointing the same value as big hour hand.

What's the use?!?

Love those watches.

LightGeek

Just an FYI, I couldn't decide so I ordered both. Let's see what happens...

NCRich

What's the use?!?

Love those watches.

A popular mod is to freeze that hand.

GC

My Numbered edition 2013 model came with the subdial @6 already frozen.

IMG_20160628_123745_zps98yuwffc_edit_1467143681218_zpsfbxle42l.jpg

gmchris

What's the use?!?

Love those watches.

I don't see the point in spending all that money on an st19 just to pay again to freeze the hand, when your left with a watch with badly placed subdials and the crystal caseback. Better off buying the quartz which has more correct subdial spacing and a solid caseback. Then spend what you saved on freezing the ticking hand @6 and a gen heselite crystal. Now THAT would look like a moonwatch and you would have a reliable working chrono.

lexidium

I've got the quartz but it doesn't have the acrylic domed glass and I'd like to change it for a plexi domed one which can be had off ebay quite cheaply (aftermarket)

The thing is that there are a number of sizes that are very close i.e. 34mm. 34.5mm etc

Does anyone know which size I should get.

NCRich

I've got the quartz but it doesn't have the acrylic domed glass and I'd like to change it for a plexi domed one which can be had off ebay quite cheaply (aftermarket)

The thing is that there are a number of sizes that are very close i.e. 34mm. 34.5mm etc

Does anyone know which size I should get.

Of course the best way is to remove your crystal and gasket and measure the opening. However everyone else that has posted about changing that to a plexi has said they used the HW Sternkreuz 34.0. The part number at Cousins is HW340 costs a whole 1.65 quid. You will need to glue it in with GS Hypo Cement.

Haltec

What's the use?!?

Love those watches.

I don't see the point in spending all that money on an st19 just to pay again to freeze the hand, when your left with a watch with badly placed subdials and the crystal caseback. Better off buying the quartz which has more correct subdial spacing and a solid caseback. Then spend what you saved on freezing the ticking hand @6 and a gen heselite crystal. Now THAT would look like a moonwatch and you would have a reliable working chrono.

Fair enough - but Quartz (and some other) dials doesn't seems to have such a nicely machined subdials.. (As watch on first thread photo have!)

Can't (on first clue) figure it out. (Does have to be like that - or it's just lausy CNC machinist at work)

gmchris

DSC_0472.jpg

My quartz with standard domed crystal (mineral not acrylic). Nit bad for £50 Ali cheapie. Yes it has a fantasy date window but I have grown to like it.

NCRich

What's the use?!?

Love those watches.

Yeah, I said they all have grave flaws and buy what you like. That's what I did. Nobody makes a good one.

NCRich

My Numbered edition 2013 model came with the frozen subdial@6 already frozen

IMG_20160628_123745_zps98yuwffc_edit_1467143681218_zpsfbxle42l.jpg

I really like this one too. It was a hard decision which to get. I may get this one later and vintage it. Love the hands on this.

mike70sk

the quartz is listed at 42mm, is that accurate ?, i have a skinny which, does the watch wear big ?

What about marv models wear big ?

NCRich

As I said Marvelous Replica has these a good $60 cheaper than anywhere else. I ordered it last week. First impressions are that despite the shortcomings we all know this rep has when compared to gen this is a top notch looker of a watch. I was going to immediately replace the sapphire with a gen hesalite, but I think I will wear it a few times to see. Awesome watch, and I've had a few......................................................watches that is. :lol:

CzmkBwp.jpg?1

eRw9IlK.jpg?1

jvhAxOb.jpg?1

LightGeek
As I said Marvelous Replica has these a good $60 cheaper than anywhere else. I ordered it last week. First impressions are that despite the shortcomings we all know this rep has when compared to gen this is a top notch looker of a watch. I was going to immediately replace the sapphire with a gen hesalite, but I think I will wear it a few times to see. Awesome watch, and I've had a few......................................................watches that is. :lol:

CzmkBwp.jpg?1

eRw9IlK.jpg?1

jvhAxOb.jpg?1

Thanks for the pics! If I was doing just one or two I might to MR. Overall, my package but was cheaper with Mary this time around. I have some things eyeballed at Tim as well.