NCRich

Want to mod that Cartel JKF factory vintage sub - the basics Complete tutorial

GenTLe

Gentle I had heard that you no longer needed to drill and tap for that Athaya crown. I'm not sure that crown bothers me enough to change. Maybe later. A vintage watch is never finished.

LOL, actually I bought them in the past to fix (read: destroy) the very first Rolex rep I worked on (2,5 years ago probably). Not going to sell them as I may still need them in the future :)

BUT, if you need them and can't find them, I may bought them for you and send them you. If I remember right the 2.75mm drill bit (cobalt one) was like 2€ and the tap was something like 12€ :)

MAJ75

Superb work on this thread Rich.

As observed earlier you are a real credit/asset to this community.

The time taken to put together let alone skills shared are really to be applauded.

It's great to see someone with so much passion taking such an active part in the community.

All power to you mate & hope your enthusiasm doesn't diminish.

Haltec

Beautiful work. Thnx for the tutorial.

One question though..

No HEV?

Should it be?

Kind regards

NCRich

Beautiful work. Thnx for the tutorial.

One question though..

No HEV?

Should it be?

Kind regards

The HEV can be seen in the pics. This model had a HEV.

Cheers

Haltec

I skipped this one (smartphone hmpf)

6hU9DJJ.jpg

but I notice this:

DfVcW9b.jpg

???!

Edited by Haltec

Haltec

Ok. It's completely wrong watch LOL

Mistery solved.

And HEV is just cosmetic since no hole is visible from case inside.

Kind regards

NCRich

I skipped this one (smartphone hmpf)

6hU9DJJ.jpg

but I notice this:

DfVcW9b.jpg

???!

You are looking at an example of drilling technique that it not part of the tutorial. I was using the 6538 to answer a question I was asked (see quote) as to how I round out the lug holes. It is a different watch entirely.

Mr Stubbs

Congratulations on this excellent tutorial Rich. It's well planned, illustrated and executed. Sure to be an inspiration and a reference! :)

childishthing

This was fun to watch! Thanks for sharing.

jakethemouse

You sir! are a legend!!

Foxindebox

Great tutorial mate! Mine is on the way and I plan to do the same mods (bit worried about the casework though :))

GenTLe

Great tutorial mate! Mine is on the way and I plan to do the same mods (bit worried about the casework though :))

Actually having seen the new BP vintage ones from Trusty I'm not sure which one (BP vs JKF) should be the best one for modding.

BP ones have very good crown guards, see here: http://www.trustytimezone.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=457&products_id=16363

NCRich

Actually having seen the new BP vintage ones from Trusty I'm not sure which one (BP vs JKF) should be the best one for modding.

BP ones have very good crown guards, see here: http://www.trustytim...oducts_id=16363

According to Slay the BP has a glued in crown/tube and modding the CGs is much more difficult for a noobie modder. He says go with JKG. YMMV

GenTLe

BP ones have very good crown guards, see here: http://www.trustytim...oducts_id=16363

According to Slay the BP has a glued in crown/tube and modding the CGs is much more difficult for a noobie modder. He says go with JKG. YMMV

Good to know :)

BIG GRUNDY

This is great, following/bookmarked now..

Nikosaldente

Definitely following this thread!

Excellent mod and tutorial!

Well done Rich!

Robin195959

Great tutorial and work mate.

watchsean7

Rich, I just want to say thanks from all of us.  Great work and inspiration. :)

enkebabtack

Great build and amazingly well documented!
What is your opinion on the accuracy of the cartel case?
How does it hold up ( after modification ) versus other cases? ( yuki/phong/etc)  

Thommo82

Ok, I'm a fan 

Callmeatticus

Super good stuff! Thanks for this.

I have a question, there was not gasket on your retaining ring to water seal the plexi. Is this normal? My JK 1680 has an o ring. 

Also, looks like your COMEX has the same movement I have. Any way to mount a gen spec dial to this? Much much appreciated!! Thanks. 

hanski
On 10/30/2016 at 17:07, NCRich said:

Lets finish this up. First lets do the insert. You need an appropriate cement add some way to secure it till it dries. I do this.

NCRich, great tutorial! Very helpful in my endeavors to learn modding! Question for you, do you always glue the insert to the bezel? I have a Clarks assembly (insert, bezel, tension, and retaining ring) that snaps all together very nicely. That said, the insert can be popped off the bezel by hand without any tools. Would you recommend gluing the insert anyways? 

Thanks! 

NCRich
7 minutes ago, mzinski said:

NCRich, great tutorial! Very helpful in my endeavors to learn modding! Question for you, do you always glue the insert to the bezel? I have a Clarks assembly (insert, bezel, tension, and retaining ring) that snaps all together very nicely. That said, the insert can be popped off the bezel by hand without any tools. Would you recommend gluing the insert anyways? 

Thanks! 

I actually use a few pieces of double stick tape now.  Just as insurance.

J!m

Nice tutorial. 

The aftermarket bezels leave a lot to be desired. Even the “expensive “ ones. 

The insert should snap into a significant groove in the bezel ring. And once in, the bezel edge should be “proud” of the insert. 

99% of the ones I see, the insert is flush with the bezel ring. These have to be glued, especially if you have a gen insert you don’t want to loose. One of my first reps was a 5517 long before I joined any forum. I lost a couple WO990 inserts and they are not free...

i use a big press for crystal retainer rings (those should be seriously tight) and my old crystal press I only use for popping out inserts from gen bezels. ITT gets them out (and in) without damage. That press would break with a gen watch trying to press a retainer ring on. 

dizzy

Good tutorial.  Just wanted to add that the proper tap for the Rolex 702/703 tube is M3x0.35. 

Dizzy