chrisby2112

Fathers 1965 Rolex Airking

Waspy

Great story, thanks for posting.

So who did the work please?

Personally, I would get the replica end links, but that's just me.

By the way, that leather strap looks to be 18mm.

chrisby2112
36 minutes ago, tripdog123 said:

As you probably know, you need 357 end links, which come up for sale rarely - and when/if you do find a set you maybe surprised by the price - even a used set will sell for $250 - $300

Nothing unusual in this. Many Rolex models sold poorly when they first came out - those famous Paul Newman Daytonas, they couldn't give them away in the '60's, and they only started selling thanks to a  photo shoot of Newman wearing one in an Italian magazine.

The 1665 Sea Dweller, is a,other model that didn't sell - it's frequent to see several years between the case serial number and the date on the receipt.

Thanks for your reply, yes certainly the 357’s are hard to come by on their own . In the UK There are a few full bracelets I have found so there are options but quite rightly as you say the cost is high.

That was also nearly word for word the explanation the Jeweller said on the date, Suppose I’ll never really know. Knowing my Father he probably had a deal as he had seen it sitting at the dealer for a few years .

tripdog123
6 minutes ago, chrisby2112 said:

Thanks for your reply, yes certainly the 357’s are hard to come by on their own . In the UK There are a few full bracelets I have found so there are options but quite rightly as you say the cost is high.

That was also nearly word for word the explanation the Jeweller said on the date, Suppose I’ll never really know. Knowing my Father he probably had a deal as he had seen it sitting at the dealer for a few years .

WSO on Ebay sells aftermarket 357 end links - good enough whilst you wait until you find a gen set.

chrisby2112
38 minutes ago, Waspy said:

Great story, thanks for posting.

So who did the work please?

Personally, I would get the replica end links, but that's just me.

By the way, that leather strap looks to be 18mm.

The work was done by F Meeks in Birmingham’s Jewellery quarter, it was arranged  by a local jeweller who I trust, he is himself a avid Vintage Rolex collector and Jeep nut like myself. Nothing was quick but the results speak for themselves. 

Xpletiv

Looking at your pic, the dial was refinished,  yes?

Waspy
4 hours ago, tripdog123 said:

WSO on Ebay sells aftermarket 357 end links - good enough whilst you wait until you find a gen set.

WSO? Do you have a link please?

Thang

Beautiful story. The restored watch is looking great.