Sign in to follow this  
aristo

Watch winder recommendation

aristo

Hello members...

I am usually just reading the posts here, but now I have a question to ask.

I am searching for a good watch winder, but have few requirement.

1. Any modular winders which can added on when my collection becomes larger? or should I go for 4 pcs winder?

2. If I use the battery operated one how long does battery last on average. (I am sure it depends on brand and setting, but just average)

3. Do you think its wise to invest on winder when my collection is bare 3 watches (but hoping to increase when my budget allows)

Any comments are welcome.. I am kinda flameproof...

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

black263

Don't bother. Spend the money on watches.

ShovelnTC

Yes I think this is the way to go.

I have a couple of winders that a generous member on one of the other forums gave me but I find it nearly as much hassle to put the watch in and out of the winder every time I wear it (when not regularly wearing it long enough to keep wound) as it is to just set the time when I wear it.

I'm using one right now but just to check the regulation of one of my watches for a couple of days.

Save your money for a new watch!

gavmeister

I have 3 winders that have 8 places and 1 with 12 spaces.

There are many who detest a watch winder for reasons of wear and this has validity. I have a fair number of gens and reps and so far the winders have exposed problems with watches early on. Those watches with no issues have continued to work extremely well and I've been able to regulate them so that they do not lose or gain much time. This is great for grabbing a watch wearing it for the morning and wearing another in the afternoon....how else would I validate the size of the collection (other than to confess to some mental illness!)

Each one of mine cost me about the price of 1 or 2 decent reps. I enjoy them. But if my entire collection wears out in the next 6 months I'd turn them into firewood. But so far so good.

aristo

Thank you all for the reply.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RussP

Yes I think this is the way to go.

I have a couple of winders that a generous member on one of the other forums gave me but I find it nearly as much hassle to put the watch in and out of the winder every time I wear it (when not regularly wearing it long enough to keep wound) as it is to just set the time when I wear it.

I'm using one right now but just to check the regulation of one of my watches for a couple of days.

Save your money for a new watch!

I'll take 'em off your hands, anytime, Mark.

I need a second winder as the one I have only has two watches that keep moving .

You can PM me with some details when you're ready.

Regards,

Russ.

childishthing

I hate having to set my watch on my way out, that alone would be worth getting one. I don't have one myself, but I only have 4 mechanical watches... I'm more interested in expanding the collection at the moment. I would also be interested in what brand others have picked up.

I found a seller on eBay called "timelybuys". That's who I plan on getting my first watch box from, and he/she also sells watch-winders.

RussP

I hate having to set my watch on my way out, that alone would be worth getting one. I don't have one myself, but I only have 4 mechanical watches... I'm more interested in expanding the collection at the moment. I would also be interested in what brand others have picked up.

I found a seller on eBay called "timelybuys". That's who I plan on getting my first watch box from, and he/she also sells watch-winders.

They're not a bad store from my first glimpse at their online store.

Thanks for the tip.

jordanrides

I have one almost exactly the same as one on their site. Pretty sure they're all the same and mass Chinese produced so you'll be able to source one of these from multiple places with their prices all being pretty similar.

I have one with 4 winder slots and 6 additional slots. It works pretty well with multiple settings however the motor isn't quite that silent. As mine is in my room on my drawers you can hear it when there's zero noise and you're trying to sleep. I'm pretty sure it has a setting option to only be on for 6 hours out of the day so if you time that for when you're not sleeping should be fine. Also has a two hour on, two hour off setting or something similar.

A thing to note however if you have larger watches, which most people will have of some sort these days, they can tap on the glass as they rotate which can get annoying.

You can spend some time angling the watch to be in there perfect so it doesn't tap but if you're constantly changing watches every day could be quite tedious.

Keep in mind the below image is before i was introduced into the rep world and I haven't put any reps on it yet. Just don't feel too confident leaving them on there. In saying that you'd also only want to put on accurate watches as the Bulova below is running horribly fast so I would have to change the time when putting it on anyway so it's pretty much turned into a glorified watch box which I don't mind because I think it's preety damn sexy especially the black on black.

Sorry for the crappy photo. y room is low lit and was taken a long time ago.

IMG_20150512_174002_zpsj9pnxwzf.jpg

Cleebeauregard

I think winders only make sense if you have a fairly small number of watches that you wear on a regular basis. If I'm only going to wear a watch once or twice a month on average, it makes no sense to me to keep it in a winder just so I don't have to set the date and time when I do decide to wear it. In all likelihood, given the accuracy of mechanical rep movements, if the watch hasn't been worn for several weeks, it's likely I'll need to adjust the time anyway. Additionally, as with all things mechanical, operation means wear and tear-- having a mechanical watch running for 4 weeks without using it seems to me to be a bit like keeping a car running for days just so it's "warmed up and ready to go".

I've got a Wolf double that I keep my two most commonly worn automatic watches in, for everything else, I prefer to just give 'em a shake or two and set the date and time when I pick them up to wear...

madaboutyou

I think winders only make sense if you have a fairly small number of watches that you wear on a regular basis. If I'm only going to wear a watch once or twice a month on average, it makes no sense to me to keep it in a winder just so I don't have to set the date and time when I do decide to wear it. In all likelihood, given the accuracy of mechanical rep movements, if the watch hasn't been worn for several weeks, it's likely I'll need to adjust the time anyway. Additionally, as with all things mechanical, operation means wear and tear-- having a mechanical watch running for 4 weeks without using it seems to me to be a bit like keeping a car running for days just so it's "warmed up and ready to go".

I've got a Wolf double that I keep my two most commonly worn automatic watches in, for everything else, I prefer to just give 'em a shake or two and set the date and time when I pick them up to wear...

Agree with you :)