Sign in to follow this  
PaulSH

Tritium Vials for hands

PaulSH

Has anyone managed to get watch appropriate sized trits?

Mb-microtec have sent me a catalogue of their watch related products - many of which would be amazing, all of which they are unable to supply me.

They have however put me in touch with a company in Hong Kong that are willing to put tritium vials onto watch hands/dials as a service - providing I supply the hands and dials.

So, I have to order some 6497 hands from Hong Kong, wait for them to be shipped here, and then send them straight back for the trits to be installed.

I understand the sensitivity of tritium, and mb-microtec being a responsible company. However, if I was stockpiling tritium for underhand reasons - I could get loads of vials delivered next day via. e-bay and amazon. Anyway, my frustrations aside - I will see whether the Hong Kong contact comes through. I know adding trit vials to a PAM rep makes it very unlike a PAM - but there are many occasions when I need the time glowing back at me, rather than reaching for a torch. Even dials/hands with C3 (allegedly) on them - glow nicely for a couple of hours, and then next to nothing.

Perhaps it is me being too picky, with too much time on my hands. My daughter was sick last night, so I spent most of the night on her bedroom floor thinking that it would be nice to have a PAM rep with trits in the hands.

RandomGuy

"My daughter was sick last night, so I spent most of the night on her bedroom floor thinking that it would be nice to have a PAM rep with trits in the hands."

As I read this, I'm on the floor with my son, wishing the same thing.

Good luck with your quest!

PS. I don't know anything about tritium, but I assume these are too big?

http://m.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-automatic-light-15-years-1-5mm/210203161.html#s1-4-1;searl|3560847710

PaulSH

Thanks for your response. I have 4 of those that I added to the dial of a Parnis a while back - thinking they would illuminate the dial and hands. Instead, they are just light looking into a torch to see in front of you, and don't help reading the time.

The chap in my first e-mail from Hong Kong has agreed to make some hands for me, for a 6497 movement, to see how they work. It is going to take a long long time to get them - but hopefully worth the effort and cost!

Cheers,

Paul

mellons

probably best to purchase a cheapo watch from the bay and harvest dials... im on the hunt also